Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Drinks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/drinks-t194585.html)

jitkaau 07-15-2012 03:19 AM

Water and milk mostly and sometimes a non- caffeine drink which is similar to coffee in taste. Caffeine, fruit juice, soft drinks (even the diet variety) are not good for diabetes control.

jeaninmaine 07-15-2012 03:36 AM

Hot tea with milk and Sweet n' Low if I'm having anything to eat or it's cold out. Unrefrigerated bottled water with a Snapple Lemon Tea 'Singles to go' in it when I want something cold or if I'm out in the car looking for yard sales. I hate water without any flavoring in it.

nycquilter 07-15-2012 04:30 AM

I gave up soda and artificial sweeteners four years ago. Now, I drink two cups of latte (made with decaf coffee and whole, non-homogenized milk) almost ever day in the morning. I don't miss the caffeine, just like the flavor of coffee. Then I drink either water (a glass by the bed, the sewing machine, etc) or herbal teas made typically with herbs I've grown or gathered wild. I try not to use sugar, especially the overprocessed white sugar that is everywhere. If I need a sweetener (rarely), I'll use honey.

KwiltyKahy 07-15-2012 05:27 AM

COFFEE all day every day. Iced tea in the summer if I want something cold. COFFEE. I'm physically adicated and have withdrawl when I don't get enough.

MommaDorian 07-15-2012 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5364925)
it's funny, when we moved to Colorado I'd been drinking caffiene free sodas. When i quit, it took me about six months not to miss them!!! there must be something besides caffiene in them that is addicting!!

I totally agree. I still miss mine and it's been since March. Manufacturers have certainly figured out how to keep people buying it.

romanojg 07-15-2012 05:39 AM

I used to drink lots of diet Dr Pepper. Then in 2008 I was yet again rushed to the ER because I was in severe pain all over. And yet again, all the test showed nothing was wrong. The shot me up with lots of pain killers and sent me home. The pain was so bad no one could even touch me. It took me again almost two weeks to get my strength back up to go back to work. Then my DDIL sent me an email about aspartame poisening and I had so many of the symtons so I ordered the book; Sweet Poisen. I'm a hard sell on things but I had no doubt after reading that book that's what I had. I went off everything that has aspartame in it and I've never had another episode since then. It's hard to keep away from aspartame since it's in things you don't even know about; flavored Blistix, flavored Alka-Seltzer, etc. Things that don't even say they are low in sugar. I checked everything.

Now, my beverage of choice is unsweet Ice tea, I never did like sweet tea and ice water w/lemon. When I want a soda it is Dr Pepper and I go for the regular, not the diet. The good thing about drinking mostly ice water and unsweet tea besides it being better for you is that my grand kids love to drink what I drink so I feel good when I can let them do it. I don't let them have my Dr. P, too much sugar for them. For hot drinks, I like coffee, different teas with Earl Gray and Jasmine being my favorites.

romanojg 07-15-2012 05:48 AM

[
As someone else said, I have a feeling that diet versions of the popular drinks will be proven in time to have more bad stuff in them than we understand now. I have spent time being addicted to Coke Zero, but I am free of it now and don't even like the taste anymore, thankfully.[/QUOTE]

If you check you'll find out that it has already been proven that the diet stuff (aspartame) already has bad stuff in it. For one it has formalcohyde (sorry for the spelling) in it, which when heated gets hard. First of all it normally always gets heated and secondly I know they'll put that in me when I die so I don't want it before hand. Check my other thread on here and you see what I put about what I went thru when drinking the diet stuff. The country that invented it won't even use it in thier own diet drinks, they use Stevia. That should tell you something. Aspartame started out being a drug used to treat ulcers until a chemist spilled some and licked it off his fingers and saw that it was sweet and wa la, we had another money maker. There are to many big companies involved to make official studies but if you read the book Sweet poisen you'll be amazed at how many people are affected and what all it can do to you and your kids.

luvstoquilt 07-15-2012 06:38 AM

I drink mostly Seltzer with lime added. I don't drink soda except once in a while if we go for burgers (that is not something we do a lot either anymore) I have 2 cups of coffee in the morning and if any is left over I have iced coffee in the afternoon during the summer. In the winter I drink hot tea in the afternoons. Milk is only for cereal here but I do try to drink a lot of water...that takes a some effort.

chips88 07-15-2012 06:46 AM

i drink hawaiian friut punch, coke, and plenty of water. :thumbup:

Happy Linda 07-15-2012 06:48 AM

Water, but I have to have fresh cut lemon in it. Crystal Lite Lemon and Lite Lemonade at fast food, if they have it.