Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How to handle selling fabric to quilting board member (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-handle-selling-fabric-quilting-board-member-t144293.html)

ptquilts 08-11-2011 04:03 AM

BTW, everytime you pay someone with a check, they have ALL your bank info. And your name, address and phone # too, possibly.

donnajean 08-11-2011 05:05 AM

Paypal charges 3.9%, plus $.30 for a Cross Border Transaction fee.

MTS 08-11-2011 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
yes use paypal and NEVER EVER give anybody your bank info!

Just an FYI-

While I agree you shouldn't give it out without caution, just be aware that it is a very, very common practice in other parts of the world.

So if someone from the UK asks for it, it's not necessarily because of any nefarious intentions. They might be as unaware of the rarity of it here in the US as most Americans are of its ubiquitous use overseas.

And unaware of the additional fees that might be involved here.

So, yeah, PayPal is the way to go.

lynnsim 08-11-2011 05:10 AM

Just take your time and you both can sign up for paypal. If I could do it, anyone can (I'm a computer dummie.)
And for your other question about selling here -- I've been doing detash sales and have done very good. My DD was impressed by the extra space in my sewing room, lol.

patricej 08-11-2011 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
If you use personal, you shouldn't have any fees associated with it. The other thing you can use is refund. I've purchased things to send to Australia and had her use refund. No fees associated with that also.

neither of those is allowed here.

charity-crafter 08-11-2011 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
If you use personal, you shouldn't have any fees associated with it. The other thing you can use is refund. I've purchased things to send to Australia and had her use refund. No fees associated with that also.

neither of those is allowed here.

I don't know anything about paypal so I really am just asking for clairification and not to be annoying.

Why are neither of these allowed here? refund or personal?

greenini 08-11-2011 06:23 AM

If you don't use the purchase option, but chose personal or refund you lose any protection that PP provides, plus it's not honest to use the refund option unless it is.

clynns 08-11-2011 06:32 AM

PayPal is best. There is NOT a fee to the buyer or seller if you do the following. Give the person your personal email that you use with PayPal. Tell them to go to the site and click on the PERSONAL tab NOT the SERVICE tab. Then make sure that 'gift' is selected. If they go thru the service tab, you will be charged 5% of the cost paid. Out of $100 that comes to $5.00. At any time you can transfer funds in your account into your bank account. Cheyl

MTS 08-11-2011 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by clynns
PayPal is best. There is NOT a fee to the buyer or seller if you do the following. Give the person your personal email that you use with PayPal. Tell them to go to the site and click on the PERSONAL tab NOT the SERVICE tab. Then make sure that 'gift' is selected. If they go thru the service tab, you will be charged 5% of the cost paid.

So you think PayPal should provide the service for free to sellers?
Do you do that even when you're the buyer? Because should anything go wrong with the transaction, you're up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

donnajean 08-11-2011 06:37 AM

Unless something changed in last couple days, the "fee" Paypal charges is 2.9%, plus $.30 transaction fee for purchases within the U.S. I don't know how you got the 5%. Maybe you are thinking of E-bay fees, which I know nothing about. As others have stated, you have no Paypal protection when you choose the "Gift" option.

Originally Posted by clynns
PayPal is best. There is NOT a fee to the buyer or seller if you do the following. Give the person your personal email that you use with PayPal. Tell them to go to the site and click on the PERSONAL tab NOT the SERVICE tab. Then make sure that 'gift' is selected. If they go thru the service tab, you will be charged 5% of the cost paid. Out of $100 that comes to $5.00. At any time you can transfer funds in your account into your bank account. Cheyl