Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I would be willing to - would you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-would-willing-would-you-t261824.html)

mimi=17 02-28-2015 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz (Post 7106542)
sounds reasonable to me - I try to only loan to people I know will return and return it in good shape. I won't borrow something unless I am will to replace it if something happens while I have it!

I vote for this.

DACO48 02-28-2015 09:05 AM

I have a dear friend who has hundreds of movies they let people borrow. She keeps a notebook that everyone is required to sign and date with email address. After a month or so, if not returned she gives them a call or email. She says it keeps every one on good terms and she has always gotten all of her movies back.

Wonnie 02-28-2015 02:53 PM

No, I would not ask for collateral. Ever. When I loan,something to someone I just look on it as a potential gift. If they bring it back that's great but, if they don't, I've already considered it a gift. I' m sure in my almost 78 years I've inadvertently forgotten to return something just because "life happened".

it as a possible gift

grannie cheechee 02-28-2015 03:38 PM

A gal in our guild borrowed circle templates from me, and after awhile I forgot about them. Three yrs. and spending $28.00 on new templates the gal brings them to me. I no longer loan because of her.

mimiof4 02-28-2015 04:45 PM

My dad and a friend had a agreement. When one or the other borrowed something, the one who it was borrowed from would go and collect it. It worked for them.

Moonglow 02-28-2015 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by jitkaau (Post 7107379)
I just tell them that I don't lend to anyone anymore because I have lost too much stuff and can't afford to lose any more. It is the truth.

I agree with jitkaau

My generosity has been taken for granted far too many times.

donna13350 02-28-2015 07:48 PM

Just sounds a tad bit controlling to me! I f I have a friend and they borrow something...after a while I just ask for it back...simplest way to go...I'm not a banker..asking for collateral puts your friendship on a level I don't want to be on with my friends!

pokeyscorner 03-01-2015 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie (Post 7107378)
At one point I did make a list of who borrowed what (usually quilting patterns or books). I could never remember who had what, and money was tight, so I couldn't afford to be "giving" stuff away. It worked pretty well.

Quiltn-nannie,
I think that's a really good idea. Sort of like a lending library does it. I never remember either. Fortunately I only lend to my sister.;)

mjhaess 03-03-2015 09:54 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me...

Maggie_Sue 03-03-2015 06:23 PM

The suggestion of taking a photo with the item is spot on!!! I would use that if I ever lent anything out which I do not been burned!!!