Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Still rather shocked (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/still-rather-shocked-t164029.html)

joyce888 10-29-2011 03:17 PM

Carol I thought of something else that you should really do if you haven't already is "freeze" your accounts through Equifax, Experion, etc. That way no one can open any accounts with your SS#. You probably already know about this but I wanted to make sure you're protected.

girliegirl 10-29-2011 03:22 PM

If someone did that to my Mother! I would be taking a visit... I kid you not... that woman needs a "bitch slap" and believe me you... I can !! Do you need my help!?

butterflies5518 10-29-2011 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888
Carol I thought of something else that you should really do if you haven't already is "freeze" your accounts through Equifax, Experion, etc. That way no one can open any accounts with your SS#. You probably already know about this but I wanted to make sure you're protected.

Her former employer needs to be notified immediately for yours and others protection. Contact their Compliance Department for reporting this - we have one and they act immediately to protect your interest.

Hattie Frances 10-29-2011 04:03 PM

A dear friend once told me that everyone who comes into your life will teach you something - good or bad. Her lesson to me was never loan more than you can afford to lose.

Debbie B 10-29-2011 04:04 PM

I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband. This woman really has nerve!

vickimc 10-29-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Country1

Originally Posted by tuesy
Today I received a call from my mortgage broker that I've known for about 8 years. We used her when we bought this house.
Anyways, we're not chummy, or even best friends. We say "Hi" if we see each other in town, etc.
With the passing of my DH, the kids and I were thinking of moving, so I called her and my real estate agent (the one who sold us this house) to see what the market was like and what I would have to do to the house to sell it. I was just feeling the market and kicking around ideas.. which they both knew.
After all the comps were in and taking alot of other things into consideration, I decided that right now isn't the time to sell.

Well today I get a call from my mortgage broker. She says she just calling to "chit chat" and see how we're doing. Asks about me, the kids, talked about me staying put for awhile, etc..
Then she says "I have something to ask you and don't know how to ask other than to just come out with it". I said ok hesitantly..then she says "I'm wanting to know if you could let me borrow $2800 and I'll pay you back or I could take out a loan and you could co-sign for me, but I'd pay the payments" She didn't tell me what the money was for, other than it was "really important" that she get this money. Oooh and she's not working either..

Of course I'm not going to give her any money or co-sign, but still.. How can people be so gusty or insensative to the fact that I didn't win the lottery, I lost my husband who made sure that he provided for the kids and I??? I just don't get it..

OMG!... I'm at a loss for words. I can't believe someone would have the nerve! I would be tempted to report her to the mortgage brokers board!...
I am very SORRY for your loss, prayers and blessings to you and your family!...

I agree, report her. this in unethical!!!! my dad was a banker, he said to report her!!

kit'smamma 10-29-2011 04:24 PM

As a retired lawyer I can only echo the previous responses. Your trip to the bank was an excellent idea too. I knew of a very prominent lawyer in FL who borrowned $10,000 from a divorce clent. What brass! He signed a note but never even paid the interest. This situation is similar in that she was probably feeling very fragile and was possibly feeling beholden to this guy despite having paid him or her ex husband having paid him. A good friend of mine represented her and he finally filed a lawsuit and got a default judgment when the borrower didn't even show up. My friend began looking into his assets and it turned out that despite his flashy life style he didn't have a nickle. My friend finally sent the sherrif into the borrower's fancy law office to levy on his law library which appeared to be the only thing he owned. The borrower finally got the message and borrowed the $10k from his father to repay the debt. Needless to say the Fl Bar Assoc. kicked his butt rather publicly. It's stuff like this that taints a whole profession. Hang in there and watch your credit cards and credit rating closely in the near future.

So sorry you've had to endure this on top of the loss of your DH. My widow's heart goes out to you.

Jane

madamekelly 10-29-2011 05:51 PM

I am sorry for your loss, but I hate to tell you this. losers come out of the woodwork at a time like this. I think they hope that in your grief, your are also stupid. I went through this when I lost my husband years ago! Ignore them and walk on!

nancy59 10-29-2011 05:59 PM

First off, let me say I am sorry about the loss of your husband. I agree that this woman must be desperate to think that you would lend money to her since you don't know her that well. (Not that I would lend to my friends either). Shame on her

katesnanna 10-29-2011 06:15 PM

How dare she. I'm outraged on your behalf. Some people have no tact & no manners.
Sorry to hear of your loss but glad you have come to talk to your friends on QB. You sound like you're a lady who know what she's doing. Imagine if she did this to some one very old and confused.