Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Thanksgiving Food--what do you HAVE to have? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/thanksgiving-food-what-do-you-have-have-t76408.html)

finch 11-14-2010 07:45 PM

Homemade bread stuffing,not cornbread stuffing.Waldorf salad,pumpkin pie and apple pie,beets, home canned greenbeans mashed potatoes and gravy, egg noodles,rolls,Turkey of course and some coffee or iced tea.

DebraK 11-14-2010 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Turkey LOL When I was about 12, mom decided to bake a chicken instead... I took my empty plate to our neighbors and came home with sliced turkey breast and gravy!! ROFLMBO
I still tease mom every year, asking if we are having turkey, or do I need to bring my own.

Add dressing, potatoes and gravy... everything is nice, but these are what I MUST have :D:D:D

I can relate to this. My Mom didn't like turkey.

almostfree 11-14-2010 08:00 PM

Mmmmmmm....I'm getting hungry just reading all this!

Momofthree 11-14-2010 08:02 PM

My mom's Cranberry Pineapple sauce. I have gotten my in-laws all hooked.

Ramona Byrd 11-14-2010 08:09 PM

Home made sage, sausage, raisin and white bread stuffing, with quarts of gravy. Where I come from in the WV hills, gravy was a national beverage!! And Punkin pie, strong with spices and whipped cream on top. Turkey or chicken, depending on how many are coming for dinner. Sometimes we had a turkey with small Cornish game hens, so they could go home with folks who live alone. Lots and lots of mashed potatoes and gravy..or did I say gravy? We LOVE sausage gravy. None of us are fragile and delicate looking, we like our groceries.

Quiltforme 11-14-2010 08:22 PM

My grandmothers cranberry relish and my sweet potatoe mashed bake.

trisha 11-14-2010 08:44 PM

All the usuals...but have to have fresh polish kielbasa with sauerkraut...it is a must.

hazeljane 11-14-2010 08:58 PM

Cranberry orange relish. MMmm. Fresh cranberries and oranges, grated together. I use it for jam in the weeks after. can't get enough.

sueisallaboutquilts 11-14-2010 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by NancyG

Originally Posted by EdieClay
When I cook Thanksgiving Dinner, I cook all the usuals like turkey, dressing, gravy, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, cranberry salad, etc. But the one dish my children always ask for is a broccoli/wild rice/cheese casserole that is out of this world. My son who once said that the best thing about being an adult was not having to eat anything green if you don't want to ... loves this dish. Yum Yum ... made me hungry just writing all this.

Any chance you might want to share your recipe? I'm always looking for something different to add to the Thanksgiving menu. That green bean casserole is getting old :lol:

Nancy, I was just about to ask the same thing! lol
It sounds fabulous!! :thumbup:

sueisallaboutquilts 11-14-2010 10:04 PM

I make cranberry sauce ala my Mom's recipe. It was always a big hit and she told me it's as good as hers. That's a huge compliment b/c she's a great cook and I'm not! :D