Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Thanksgiving Food--what do you HAVE to have? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/thanksgiving-food-what-do-you-have-have-t76408.html)

ilovequilts 11-14-2010 10:09 PM

stuffing, stuffing, stuffing, stuffing..

It really is my favorite, and my moms is heavenly.

LovinMySoldier 11-14-2010 10:17 PM

2 years ago we did a nontraditional traditional Thanksgiving dinner :) It was so much fun. We cooked all the traditional foods, turkey, sweet potatoes, stuffing the usuals. We just didn't cook anything the traditional way. We did a deep fried turkey. Our sweet potatoes were made with onions and bacon (so incredibly good). We had all sorts of different dishes. We always do a big family thing with about 8 different families. Everyone played along with the different foods. Even the standard pumpkin pie was a bit different!

GrannieAnnie 11-14-2010 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by almostfree
Just was wondering, as we approach Thanksgiving, what is that one dish you absolutely MUST have on your holiday table? We always have the traditional things, but our sausage-apple stuffing is the best! :lol:

We always go to my BIL's house. They make oyster stuffing. Can't handle that. So I always make my own-----with lots of sage, lots of celery, lots of onions.

And I make the gravy. Using the turkey pan for the basis, including onioins, then thicken with corn starch----------which is my favorite thickener.

plainjane 11-14-2010 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Cranberry orange relish. MMmm. Fresh cranberries and oranges, grated together. I use it for jam in the weeks after. can't get enough.

We may have the same recipe! (except I use splenda for diabetic DH) AND giblet gravy-no brown gravy for this southerner. Along with the usual Thanksgiving suspects-turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, corn on cob, rolls.

jbud2 11-14-2010 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Turkey LOL When I was about 12, mom decided to bake a chicken instead... I took my empty plate to our neighbors and came home with sliced turkey breast and gravy!! ROFLMBO
I still tease mom every year, asking if we are having turkey, or do I need to bring my own.

Add dressing, potatoes and gravy... everything is nice, but these are what I MUST have :D:D:D

Gotcha beat -- one year my mom made hogmaw!! We ate it but that never happened again. Boy, I could eat some good hogmaw!

pojo 11-15-2010 12:00 AM

stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy and rolls. Turkey white

But I would be satisfied with a pizza too. My husband hates it.

Jan in VA 11-15-2010 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Turkey and dressing, sweet potatoes, scratch dinner rolls, and a nice ham. Preferably my own dressing. My mother makes the world's worst dressing. And her sweet potatoes are gross too. And she can't make a scratch dinner roll to save her life.

Then there's my sister who doesn't like Thanksgiving dinner at all. She'd be happier with pizza.

Overall I'm happier when I don't have to spend my holiday with either of them.

I'm STILL laughing out loud at this one!! What a hoot! Aren't family holidays fun? :?

Jan in VA

sewTinker 11-15-2010 12:21 AM

Turkey with Sage Dressing, Mashed potatoes, gravy, Creamed Corn, Whipped Rutabagas, Shrimp Salad, rolls, homemade pumpkin & mincemeat pies; plus, on the table, a dish of black olives and a pitcher of celery stalks. Same meal all of my life, and the one my great grandmother cooked. lol... oh, and Irish Coffees, and Bailey's.

Jan in VA 11-15-2010 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Home made sage, sausage, raisin and white bread stuffing, with quarts of gravy. Where I come from in the WV hills, gravy was a national beverage!!............. Lots and lots of mashed potatoes and gravy..or did I say gravy? We LOVE sausage gravy. None of us are fragile and delicate looking, we like our groceries.

LOL!! "we like our groceries" :lol:
My Daddy is a gravy addict, too; we all say, "where's Daddy's lubricant?"

Some of the comments here are more fun than the dishes, LOL.
Aren't quilters great eaters!! :mrgreen: It's that passion we all have....:thumbup:

Jan in VA

Panther Creek Quilting 11-15-2010 03:51 AM

I Know, I Know I am going to take a ribbing on this, but it is not Thanksgiving without Turnips. I could eat my weight in them, but also add in turkey and Mom's Dressing!