Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 84

Thread: Thanksgiving Food--what do you HAVE to have?

  1. #1
    Super Member almostfree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Rural Ohio
    Posts
    1,398
    Just was wondering, as we approach Thanksgiving, what is that one dish you absolutely MUST have on your holiday table? We always have the traditional things, but our sausage-apple stuffing is the best! :lol:

  2. #2
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    Turkey, and I really miss my Mom's stuffing.

  3. #3
    Super Member sak658's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    down Houston way...
    Posts
    1,528
    Blog Entries
    1
    Turkey and dressing, ham, candied sweet tators, corn casserole, green beans, pea salad, fruit salad, pumpkin pie, apple and pecan pie, rolls cranberry sauce and ice tea

    gotta have it all......

  4. #4
    Senior Member EdieClay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ten Mile, Tennessee
    Posts
    868
    When I cook Thanksgiving Dinner, I cook all the usuals like turkey, dressing, gravy, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, cranberry salad, etc. But the one dish my children always ask for is a broccoli/wild rice/cheese casserole that is out of this world. My son who once said that the best thing about being an adult was not having to eat anything green if you don't want to ... loves this dish. Yum Yum ... made me hungry just writing all this.

  5. #5
    Super Member NancyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by EdieClay
    When I cook Thanksgiving Dinner, I cook all the usuals like turkey, dressing, gravy, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, cranberry salad, etc. But the one dish my children always ask for is a broccoli/wild rice/cheese casserole that is out of this world. My son who once said that the best thing about being an adult was not having to eat anything green if you don't want to ... loves this dish. Yum Yum ... made me hungry just writing all this.
    Any chance you might want to share your recipe? I'm always looking for something different to add to the Thanksgiving menu. That green bean casserole is getting old :lol:

  6. #6
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Turkey and dressing, sweet potatoes, scratch dinner rolls, and a nice ham. Preferably my own dressing. My mother makes the world's worst dressing. And her sweet potatoes are gross too. And she can't make a scratch dinner roll to save her life.

    Then there's my sister who doesn't like Thanksgiving dinner at all. She'd be happier with pizza.

    Overall I'm happier when I don't have to spend my holiday with either of them.

  7. #7
    Super Member klgreene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Clovis, NM
    Posts
    2,494
    Turkey, and my x-MIL's apple raisin stuffing. My DH is a really picky eater, so we don't go all out, just the usual.

  8. #8
    Senior Member kathidahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Posts
    528
    Blog Entries
    1
    LOL..I have to have ham for my DH who does not like the yummy turkey that everyone else wants...

  9. #9
    cosyquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Caldwell, Idaho
    Posts
    278
    Lots of pies: pumpkin, raisin, apple, lemon meringue, chocolate cream. Lots of real whipped cream.

  10. #10
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Turkey LOL When I was about 12, mom decided to bake a chicken instead... I took my empty plate to our neighbors and came home with sliced turkey breast and gravy!! ROFLMBO
    I still tease mom every year, asking if we are having turkey, or do I need to bring my own.

    Add dressing, potatoes and gravy... everything is nice, but these are what I MUST have :D:D:D

  11. #11
    Super Member finch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    in hiding
    Posts
    1,362
    Homemade bread stuffing,not cornbread stuffing.Waldorf salad,pumpkin pie and apple pie,beets, home canned greenbeans mashed potatoes and gravy, egg noodles,rolls,Turkey of course and some coffee or iced tea.

  12. #12
    Super Member DebraK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    9,193
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Turkey LOL When I was about 12, mom decided to bake a chicken instead... I took my empty plate to our neighbors and came home with sliced turkey breast and gravy!! ROFLMBO
    I still tease mom every year, asking if we are having turkey, or do I need to bring my own.

    Add dressing, potatoes and gravy... everything is nice, but these are what I MUST have :D:D:D
    I can relate to this. My Mom didn't like turkey.

  13. #13
    Super Member almostfree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Rural Ohio
    Posts
    1,398
    Mmmmmmm....I'm getting hungry just reading all this!

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    161
    My mom's Cranberry Pineapple sauce. I have gotten my in-laws all hooked.

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Merced, CA
    Posts
    4,230
    Blog Entries
    1
    Home made sage, sausage, raisin and white bread stuffing, with quarts of gravy. Where I come from in the WV hills, gravy was a national beverage!! And Punkin pie, strong with spices and whipped cream on top. Turkey or chicken, depending on how many are coming for dinner. Sometimes we had a turkey with small Cornish game hens, so they could go home with folks who live alone. Lots and lots of mashed potatoes and gravy..or did I say gravy? We LOVE sausage gravy. None of us are fragile and delicate looking, we like our groceries.

  16. #16
    Super Member Quiltforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Washington state!
    Posts
    3,341
    My grandmothers cranberry relish and my sweet potatoe mashed bake.

  17. #17
    Super Member trisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    1,874
    All the usuals...but have to have fresh polish kielbasa with sauerkraut...it is a must.

  18. #18
    a regular here hazeljane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    820
    Cranberry orange relish. MMmm. Fresh cranberries and oranges, grated together. I use it for jam in the weeks after. can't get enough.

  19. #19
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyG
    Quote Originally Posted by EdieClay
    When I cook Thanksgiving Dinner, I cook all the usuals like turkey, dressing, gravy, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, cranberry salad, etc. But the one dish my children always ask for is a broccoli/wild rice/cheese casserole that is out of this world. My son who once said that the best thing about being an adult was not having to eat anything green if you don't want to ... loves this dish. Yum Yum ... made me hungry just writing all this.
    Any chance you might want to share your recipe? I'm always looking for something different to add to the Thanksgiving menu. That green bean casserole is getting old :lol:
    Nancy, I was just about to ask the same thing! lol
    It sounds fabulous!! :thumbup:

  20. #20
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    I make cranberry sauce ala my Mom's recipe. It was always a big hit and she told me it's as good as hers. That's a huge compliment b/c she's a great cook and I'm not! :D

  21. #21
    ilovequilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    174
    stuffing, stuffing, stuffing, stuffing..

    It really is my favorite, and my moms is heavenly.

  22. #22
    Senior Member LovinMySoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    981
    2 years ago we did a nontraditional traditional Thanksgiving dinner :) It was so much fun. We cooked all the traditional foods, turkey, sweet potatoes, stuffing the usuals. We just didn't cook anything the traditional way. We did a deep fried turkey. Our sweet potatoes were made with onions and bacon (so incredibly good). We had all sorts of different dishes. We always do a big family thing with about 8 different families. Everyone played along with the different foods. Even the standard pumpkin pie was a bit different!

  23. #23
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by almostfree
    Just was wondering, as we approach Thanksgiving, what is that one dish you absolutely MUST have on your holiday table? We always have the traditional things, but our sausage-apple stuffing is the best! :lol:
    We always go to my BIL's house. They make oyster stuffing. Can't handle that. So I always make my own-----with lots of sage, lots of celery, lots of onions.

    And I make the gravy. Using the turkey pan for the basis, including onioins, then thicken with corn starch----------which is my favorite thickener.

  24. #24
    Super Member plainjane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,811
    Blog Entries
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by hazeljane
    Cranberry orange relish. MMmm. Fresh cranberries and oranges, grated together. I use it for jam in the weeks after. can't get enough.
    We may have the same recipe! (except I use splenda for diabetic DH) AND giblet gravy-no brown gravy for this southerner. Along with the usual Thanksgiving suspects-turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, corn on cob, rolls.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    york county, PA
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Turkey LOL When I was about 12, mom decided to bake a chicken instead... I took my empty plate to our neighbors and came home with sliced turkey breast and gravy!! ROFLMBO
    I still tease mom every year, asking if we are having turkey, or do I need to bring my own.

    Add dressing, potatoes and gravy... everything is nice, but these are what I MUST have :D:D:D

    Gotcha beat -- one year my mom made hogmaw!! We ate it but that never happened again. Boy, I could eat some good hogmaw!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.