Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   what do you like/not like about where you live (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-like-not-like-about-where-you-live-t118566.html)

arimuse 04-25-2011 08:13 PM

born/raised WNY, liked my little rural home town (our county consistently had a larger cow population than human population every census since forever!), lived on Grand Island (up from Niagara Falls - loved that, could lunch at the Falls in 15min. ) Hated the taxes, the rules the regulations, and, until I moved South never realized I hated 5 months of snow and cold! and this coming from a skier!
Spent time in VT, on a dairy farm, loved every min of that! Maybe the only thing I dislike about VT is the taxes.
Spent time in Atlanta, Sandy Springs. Did love everything close by, as good as NYC for having anything and everything, BUT HATED the traffic, Roswell Rd, a few blocks from the house sounds like a waterfall day and night. And, unless you ever lived in or around Atlanta there is no way humanly possible to explain the traffic!! Its like putting all the people in NYC in cars and putting them on roads where they dont drive slower than 85MPH. Oh, best kept secret outside Atlanta - the Farmers Market in Dekalb Co, Decatur.
SC, where I now live: LOVE the heat, love summer 3 seasons a yr, love the ocean, love most of the people. dislike cities where tourists are (I hate having to do anything on Hilton Head! Its nearly as bad as Altanta for traffic when its covered over w/ tourists). After living here over 15 yrs I still dislike most southern cooking! Breads, vegetables cooked to mush w/ pork fat lumps floating in them, detest bananna pudding. Do like pinebark stew/Brunswick stew, Lowcountry boil, shrimp fresh from the ocean, fresh fish. Hate bugs! Love gators! Hate hurricanes, tornadoes, love the rains. sharet

Patricia Ann 04-25-2011 08:13 PM

Born in NY live all around husband in military 20 years Hated Texas to hot also MS and AL. Didn't like Germany Like utah the last 30 years live in VA and MD but the best place have 4 seasons is in the Adirondacks Mts in upstate NY That is were we live now no more moving

chuckbere15 04-25-2011 09:02 PM

Lived most of my life in Michigan. Love the four seasons and that my family is here, although, I can't stand humid hot or extreme cold anymore. Lived in Louisville, make sure is say that with a mouth full of rocks. Loved the scenery and the people, hated the humidity. Then I lived in Nashville for 4 1/2 years. Absolutely love everything about Tennessee except for the high humidity, heat and the thunder storms. The second week I was in Nashville, an F4 tornado ripped through down town area and was coming right towards where my office was and me not knowing that. If we could move, I would move back there in a heart beat. Did I mentioned that I love nashville

Pats8e8 04-25-2011 09:06 PM

I was born and raised in OHIO. I loved it there but when Dad died, Mom moved us to CA to be near her brother. I have never liked it much. It's too hot and no pretty trees around to change color in the autumn. Now I live in the CA desert and I hate the dirt. Same thing, too dry and hot. Can't move, DH was born and is stuck up to his knees in this dirt. I tell him that in Ohio you have to dig a hole to find dirt.

Lorae Radunz 04-25-2011 09:14 PM

I was born and raised on a farm in NW Iowa.In fact, it is a "Century Farm", meaning it has been in the family 100 years. I absolutely loved it. I was there 23 years. We lived in the Twin Cities [Mn.] for 2 years. It had alot to offer if you were into Arts/Entertainment,shopping and restaurants. It was a much faster pace of life than I was used to! Back to So. Minnesota. The town we live in has a population of 300. It's nice and peaceful here. I don't mind the change of seasons. This past winter was long but its not always like that. The one thing that comes to mind that I dislike: hogs!! We live in a rural area. I think most of the hog farms in the state, are here in Martin county. Nothing against the hogs themselves...but I sure get peeved when I hang my clean sheets on the line to dry and some hog farmer decides to take his "Honeywagon" out! I don't appreciate my sheets smelling like hog s--t!!! But, I wouldn't move from here. I love Colorado, Florida, and San Francisco, but just to visit...

jpthequilter 04-25-2011 09:23 PM

I'v lived in 13 states and overseas. I was born in NH and lived there also later as an adult. Grew up in Indiana, lived in the midwest for about 10 married years, wandered to San Francisco, loved everything there except the ever present bone chilly breezes. From there to Florida where I found out it snows now and then in the panhandle. Became a gypsy and traveled to visit relatives in the Netherlands and Cyprus, wandered the middle east and did a lot of summer sailing. Came back to New england before the century turned, decided it was too cold and snowy there, so I moved to Mississippi and eventually to Texas last summer.

nellie 04-25-2011 10:59 PM

im ready o move out of state of ca only because cost of living here looking to move to home in farm living slow good living

penski 04-25-2011 11:18 PM

i dont like the humidity here in Illinois

roselady 04-26-2011 12:21 AM

I am so happy someone started this topic, I have wanted to do so for awhile, don't know why I didn't. I was born in Reno, NV, lived in a small town an hour east of Reno, when I was very young. It was high desert, sandy, not green, didn't like it. Moved to Redwood City, CA, about 30 min. south of San Francisco. Great weather, not too hot nor too cold. Lot's to do and see, but too much traffic, and VERY expensive. Moved to Central California as a teenager. Never have liked it here, but have managed to raise 3 children here. Six months of horrible heat, foggy, never see the sun winters, nice spring and fall but if you blink your eyes you might miss those seasons! I do like being so close to some really wonderful places...an hour and a half to Yosemite and the amazing Sierra Nevada mountains, 2 hours to the pacific ocean, less than 3 hours to San Francisco. 4 hours to Lake Tahoe. We are here because this is one of the few places in California that we can afford to live. All the pretty places are so expensive. We are looking for the right place to retire, we loved western N. C. and loved the finger lakes area of N.Y., we've never lived in snow, so we are somewhat leary of that. We hope to find a place on some acreage for some peace and quiet. We have been spoiled with the ability to grow some kind of produce all year round here. I am becoming resentful that I can not get a job because I don't speak Spanish, and there are no stores left in our downtown area that I can shop in and be understood because I speak English. I have 2 kids here, and a grandchild on the way, so that will make leaving somewhat difficult, I also have a daughter in a tiny west Texas town that is dry and dusty and not to inviting, she is expecting what will be my first grandchild. So the places where there are people I love, are also places that I don't want to live, but I'm not sure I could move a long distance away and not go crazy missing them.

DebbieJJ 04-26-2011 03:22 AM

I DON'T like the humidity! We're in the Tennessee Valley, and it stays humid all year long.