Professional De-Stasher

Old 10-30-2019, 12:50 PM

In 2017 when I decided to quit doing craft shows after 25 years, I did a major clean out of all of my craft supplies, and all of the fabric that I didn't think I'd ever need again. It was a huge job that took me three solid months to sort and price. I sold over 1000 yds. of fabric at $1-3/yd. and donated almost as much. I had tubs and tables filled with craft supplies priced at 25 cents, and sold thousands of items. Did I get my money back? No, but I had decided that what I would get was more than I would if I kept all of that stuff and never used it. I cleared an entire bedroom, made a bunch of money, and made hundreds of other sewers, crafters, and quilters very happy. I advertised it as a craft and sewing supply sale and attracted people that knew what everything was worth, so they knew they we getting great deals. The best part was that I didn't have to haggle prices with anyone, there were no pictures to post, no mailing to deal with and no selling one item at a time on line. Yes, it was a lot of work, and I still have fabric and sewing supplies to last me a lifetime, but now when I am gone, there will be a lot less "stuff" for someone to deal with.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:20 AM

We called 1-800 Got Junk a few years ago to clean out my brother-in-law's house so he could move to a new house.
We were told that they sorted the items, donated the good to charity and very little would end up in the landfill. They came they took the stuff that they thought they could sell and put it in a storage locker. Threw the rest of the stuff in the back of an open truck (new sleeper sofa, useable furniture, cloths, pictures and list goes on. My brother in law was upset since it was raining, they said they were taking it to the dump. We would have been better off setting everything outside of his house with a free sign on it.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:30 AM

I have a will and with it I have a list of names and number my sons will need. One of those numbers is an estate sale company I know and trust. My husband and I collected many beautiful things which my children really don’t want. I love my home and the things I have. I hope I won’t have to downsize but will if it is necessary. Meanwhile I will enjoy knowing all my family has to do is take what they want and then give my house key to the estate sale group. Any leftovers will be donated.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
bearisgray, a lot of people use Ebay, Etsy and Facebook to sell items they are ready to part with. I'm sure when you are ready to pare down or completely destash, possibly have a pre-estate sale or auction. I don't think you'll ever get close to what you paid. but, you could try. Even a "garage" sale specifically for the sewing enthusiast would do the job.

You don't have to donate or give away your stuff. It is possible to sell anything you want to.
This last summer I did just this. A couple women from my guild were having personal garage sales as well as our guild had one. I sold a great deal of fabric at the guild. Cleared several hundred dollars. At one garage sale I clear another $150. At the last one I did not make any sales. I made enough to buy the Featherweight I wanted with $$ to spare. I put all the $$ back into quilting projects or sewing equipment. I will do it again
Old 10-31-2019, 05:31 AM

For 10-12 years one of my streams of income was Ebaying personal estates. Quilting, fishing, photography, collectibles etc, not their other stuff. It was a lot of fun and I shipped stuff all over the world. I had a sliding scale for how it was split with the family and they got a copy of the invoice for each item.
I'd bring it home, stack it in the back of the office and start plowing through it, ebay was so much fun then. Now with the postage rises I probably wouldn't do it again for someone else, but each spring I have a personal clear out
Old 10-31-2019, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I thought you meant cleaning out the house of stuff. My answer wouldn't be correct in your case.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I pack up a box or bag of something from my sewing room every month and take to our guild's free or sale table. I keep my clutter controlled doing this.
When my friend had to deal with her great aunt's ( no spouse, children, or siblings left) house of 60 plus years of her saving everything, she saved the important items, some valuable items, and family items. She didn't pack anything, left everything just as it was. She put a big sign out front that said everything in house FREE. First come. The house was cleared out of every single thing in two days. She said she saved many days of tedious work and saved more money then trying to sell all of it. Sure a lot of people got great finds. Seems the ones in need saw the sign. A young mom was in tears getting the fridge and dining set she needed. A young man lost his apartment by fire and was thrilled he was able to get the tv, sofa and bedroom set. So many others finding what they have been needing and at the end seems the resell people were the last to come and take things. Everything worked out like it was meant to happen. She wasn't out any money at all and very little time. The house was ready to put on the market after a good cleaning. Listed under market value and it was sold in two weeks.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I pack up a box or bag of something from my sewing room every month and take to our guild's free or sale table. I keep my clutter controlled doing this.
When my friend had to deal with her great aunt's ( no spouse, children, or siblings left) house of 60 plus years of her saving everything, she saved the important items, some valuable items, and family items. She didn't pack anything, left everything just as it was. She put a big sign out front that said everything in house FREE. First come. The house was cleared out of every single thing in two days. She said she saved many days of tedious work and saved more money then trying to sell all of it. Sure a lot of people got great finds. Seems the ones in need saw the sign. A young mom was in tears getting the fridge and dining set she needed. A young man lost his apartment by fire and was thrilled he was able to get the tv, sofa and bedroom set. So many others finding what they have been needing and at the end seems the resell people were the last to come and take things. Everything worked out like it was meant to happen. She wasn't out any money at all and very little time. The house was ready to put on the market after a good cleaning. Listed under market value and it was sold in two weeks.
I like this idea!
Old 10-31-2019, 01:23 PM

I have an ongoing bag/box that is always handy so any time I run across something no longer used, needed, etc., it goes in the bag/box. Then when it is full, off it goes to a second hand store. It seems like once you give that first thing away, it becomes easier to de-clutter.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:39 PM

1-800-Got-Junk are franchises. We had a terrible experience with them. I know it was just one location.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-01-2019 at 02:41 AM. Reason: remove consumer complaint