Purging purging purging!

Old 10-13-2013, 02:20 PM

I am keeping what fabric I have in my stash but last weekend I took 15 big bags of clothing to Goodwill. There should be some very happy ladies when they see the great clothes I no longer wanted or used that were still in excellent condition at the Goodwill store. My daughter took a bag of leather handbags to her work to give out to her coworkers of purses I no longer wanted. But my fabric and my yarn stash are staying put!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
The school will take all of the supplies...I donate to them all the time....They love the binders and file folders and anything else they can use.
I never even thought of donating to the schools. Great option!

sandy
Old 10-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

I purge once a year, usually in January. I get the overwhelmed feeling of too much right after the holidays. I give it to the local Project Linus quilters. Too many of my guild members are if it's free take it, no matter they could buy the quilt store, so I don't donate to the guild anymore. LOL
Old 10-13-2013, 03:53 PM

Good for you! I am on week 2 of my two-week fall break from school. Last week we vacationed in TN so this week I intend to do some 'purging', myself! I have a very bad habit of getting things out or starting something and then just leaving it out.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:55 PM

I have been doing the same thing this week minus the fabric purging. We moved into this house a year ago October. It is bigger than our last home yet not big enough for everything we have accumulated. Unfortunately DH had his Mother and his Aunt pass away within 6 months of one another right before we moved and was not emotionally ready to rid himself of a lot of things we have absolutely no need for. I still haven't found my ironing board, water bath canner, or some canning supplies, which I have needed within the last month. While attempting to find some of those items I have pulled things out of closets, from under beds, and out of cupboards. I am astounded at how many blankets and sets of linens I have for beds that no one sleeps in any more. They are going to the kids when we visit at Christmas whether they want them or not! Then they can dispose of them. Actually, I could probably use some of the flat sheets as quilt backings for some of the grandchildren's quilts. Anyone ever use mattress pads as batting?
Old 10-13-2013, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

We had new carpet installed two weeks ago and I have yet to finish putting everything back in the master closet. Trying on clothes, shoes, and emptying every drawer to purge every unwanted item is so exhausting. The Hope House and Nspire are getting a ton of nice useable clothing.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:18 PM

Today in church our mission team reported on their trip to Uganda, which was a few weeks ago. It puts a fresh perspective on "stuff". The people who come back from these trips are forever changed in many ways.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:14 PM

I am a minimalist. It is so freeing. I purge frequently. I hate waste and excess. It makes me feel guilty to have too much. Take a picture and pull it from your purse when you feel the urge to shop. Congrats on the cleaner house. Your health and energy levels will soar.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
Anyone ever use mattress pads as batting?

I've used them in tied quilts, especially for quilts for the dogs. They've been cheap and available.

As for purging, I do it little by little. It has taken me along time to collect all this stuff and I got it for some reason, I want to carefully purge it. On the other hand, I have tooo much stuff!

Last edited by MaryMo; 10-13-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:13 AM

I agree, periodic purging is a must. As for filing cabinets and file folders. they make great storage for fabric. Hang fabric over hanging folders. Sort by color or type of fabric - easy to find what you want without pulling down whole stacks of fabric.
Some filing cabinets are also large enough to store batting.