Purging purging purging!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:49 AM

My problem is, how do I decide what fabric to purge from my stash? I keep thinking the perfect project will come along for each piece that has been in my stash for a while... I am tempted to get rid of all of it except the neutrals and solids, but can't seem to force myself to do it when I see the prices at the LQS. But if I never use it, what good is it? Maybe I need a purging support group...
Old 10-14-2013, 04:03 AM

I'm not a neat-nik but I do need to have a space for everything. Things get put back away when a project is completed then it's messy again until that project is done, and so on. Working on making quilted Christmas ornaments now and the table is pretty messy at the moment.

Last year a friend of mine had a hip replacement. Her bedroom is on the second floor of her house and she asked a few of her best friends to come and help her clean out her bedroom so she could get around easier after surgery. OMG!!!! I was horrified. Her bedroom was a hoarder's dream come true, but it made me sick to my stomach. I think we probably purged about 20-25 big black trash bags of clothes she didn't wear anymore. Purses that she hadn't used since she was in her 20's...she's 60 now. Found empty soda cans just thrown on the floor, boxes and boxes and boxes of papers, some with important legal documents in them. Stuff that was literally garbage that she had just piled more boxes onto. So much furniture in that room we couldn't move around without moving out some of the furniture. I tried dusting off a bookshelf and was overcome with clouds of dust! My eyes sting now just thinking about it.

All her friends that came to help were really very upset with her for living in these conditions. She just loves her stuff and can't part with it. We were able to clear a path for her to get to her bathroom and eventually up and down the stairs. Of course she is back to walking and moving just fine now but I'm sure her room has returned to the way it was before the clean up. All this is to say that, I came home and did a whole house purge! i couldn't stand seeing piles of stuff anywhere. Had to clean and organize and I did purge some things out but I have never had a problem eliminating old outdated, unused items. Mainly my closets and kitchen cabinets were cleaned out and organized better.

Next plan is to put down flooring in my bedroom and dispose of some old carpet. That will really make my house so much neater looking.

I have NO problem keeping my sewing room straight, I can't work if it's a disaster zone. (Maybe I am a little OCD!)
Old 10-14-2013, 04:09 AM

The bulk of my purging is scraps from past projects...not actual "yardage". I get rid of 1-2 large trash bags per year..of scraps smaller than a FQ. I am not a scrappy quilter. So purge I do. I usually purge at the holidays but the urge hit early ths time. Now, perhaps I can spend holiday time off sewing!

Sandy
Old 10-14-2013, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

I have just gone through this process over the last few weekends. I do not have a real "stash" but I am attracted to the little remnants so I have two baskets of those, plus fat quarters I find on sale. But my stuff is in three different places - half of the third bedroom that Mr. Stitchnripper uses for his computer set up, the guest room closet, because we don't use the guest room all that often (but still want a bed in there for when we do need it) and then I have taken over the dining room. Left all the furniture but moved three chairs into the guest room out of the way. I now have 9 sewing machines and a serger. But, I got some of those three drawer things - the ones that are about 18" square and 3" high per drawer and sorted out all the feet, marking pencils, bobbins, etc. These go under my table in the computer room. Now I think I can find everything, and I sewed yesterday in the dining room and it was much less cluttery and easier to get around. I did get all my scraps into a huge bag. May work on them one day, but am working through my remnants now.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

I do have plenty I need to purge, but not fabric! LOL
Old 10-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I give some fabrics I won't use to my Daughter, who also quilts. I am using up most of my scraps now. I have done this before but, more accumulate very quickly. Very small pieces usually get thrown away.
Other stuff I donate regularly.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:09 AM

I started my 'Fall Clean Out' the last week-end of Sept. I have had some really nice bonfires Carried off a bunch of stuff to the Free Store. This week I will get all the windows washed inside and out. And yank all the curtains.I can not stop the weather changing So I change the way I will be seeing it.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

yep, I've put my paper shredder to good use in the last year. And the trash man hates my bags of junk, but it has to go. everything else goes to the Charity shop.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:16 AM

yep just did that when I retired I organized all my documents, got rid of tons of correspondence and office supply, felt really good! fabric on the other hand......
Old 10-14-2013, 10:21 AM

I am slowly working on this as well , It does feel good to free up space . Especially in my tiny home . I am working toward the minimalist lifestyle