Question about etsy

Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 AM

Default Question about etsy

First and for most, I am not soliciting anything and if this is a taboo question I apologize in advance and please remove it. I am thinking about opening an etsy store "nothing to do with quilting though". My questions is how do you decide who gets the product if you only have one and say 10 people buy it? Has anyone had experience with this? Again, if this is a ? that is not allowed I am sorry.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:16 PM

Hm, good question.

I think maybe first come first serve.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:24 PM

when one person hits the "add to cart" button it's sold, if anyone else hits it before it goes away it will send them a message that it's no longer available. it's like any shopping online, not like here where they send you a message and then you make the deal.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:27 PM

I would think it should go to the first one to buy and pay. But it seems like once an item sells, the listing should be deleted so no one else can buy it. I have sold on eBay, and in setting up the listing you specify how many of the item you have to sell. If it is just one, the listing automatically is ended as soon as the item is purchased. Seems like Etsy would have a similar function.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Interesting question. I would do first contact. I have a friend who has listed on and off and never has had any luck with selling.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by kathy View Post
when one person hits the "add to cart" button it's sold, if anyone else hits it before it goes away it will send them a message that it's no longer available. it's like any shopping online, not like here where they send you a message and then you make the deal.
Thanks Kathy. This has been nagging at me for awhile. Being new to all that, I am a nervous wreck.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:50 AM

It is first come first served. Etsy won't double sell the same item.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:45 PM

the etsy tutorials are some of the best I have seen. Also, their staff will get back to you very quickly with answers. I have been selling on etsy for years and find their folks extremely helpful. Also, they have a great setup for new sellers with templates for building your site. Take the time and look at many similar items to get a feel for how to present and describe. The best descriptions are those that have a bit of humor or a personal note. I often refer to my items as him or her. Also, take a good pic - natural light and up close usually work best. Good luck and happy selling!