Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Getting items appraised

Getting items appraised

My sweet mother just passed away and I have lots of Viking, Lenox, LaLique, and Swarovski crystal that she collected. I 'd like to find a reputable appraiser to look at these items. Don't have an appraisal firm in my area. Only antique stores. Was wondering about a jeweler. I checked on e-bay but don't see anything close to what she had. Any suggestions.

So sorry for you loss. No real suggestions, but checking the antique stores might give you an idea about what the items are selling for. Unfortunately we found when dealing with my mothers estate, that unless the pieces are extremely unique, they didn't hold value...worth only what someone is willing to pay for it.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    Talk to your insurance man (woman), they know appraisers for all of your needs.
    Good luck, remember to breath and just take one day at a time.

My condolences. One thing I do recommend is taking ALL jewelry to be appraised. Two items that my mother had told me were costume had very high value. It was true they were not jemstones, but they were quality items. I always loved them, but now I laugh when I put them on and share a smile in the mirror with my mother.There are no riches in heaven, but when I get there, my mother and I will have the greatest of riches, a good story.

Very sorry for your loss. Either your insurance person - probably best advisor - or the antique stores can point you in the right direction. The jeweler is probably only going to be interested in/knowledgeable about the jewelery.

Check Antiques Roadshow website? Tons of info online but time consuming. Since you have some names of the mfgr. You have, start with thier sites. Look for antique forums. Yahoo groups. google appraisers.

As said, sometimes things are only worth what someone is willing to pay. I remember a "Fenton" like glass candy dish my late Aunt had. I wanted to keep it but did not. A gal came to the rummage sale ....swoooped it up for $5 and left. Darn! When I see this same candy dish at antique shops, i am reassured that It most likely was NOT Fenton and they (similar) are ticketed or under. $20. I still wish that I had kept it for sentimental reason. My Aunt did not buy "name" brands. She lived modestly. I miss her most.

You can probably send photos to an appraiser of the items in question to at least confirm IF there are items worth paying for an appraisal. Yes, you likely have to pay per item as you do with jewelry.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    My mother died 1-1/2 years ago and we kept all the glass, pottery, porcelain, china cups and saucers. Actually, my two sisters and I divided up the cups and saucers and I had plate rails put over the front room and living room windows - total (8 windows) and they are all displayed for everyone to see. I drink my glass of wine out of Mom's glasses and I treasure the most gorgeous cut glass bowl (would never sell that). And I have a son and daughter in law and two granddaughters and a grandson and two great grandchildren. I'll save them for them. Keep it in the family. So many people got rid of stuff without realizing what they had and it is gone forever.

Sad story, my grandmother told me to take a pair of Mercury glass vases. I told her to keep them for my cousin -- years pass - he gets involved in drugs, he sells the Mercury glass vases for the drugs - he died. I could have taken them. Only because I wanted them to stay in the family.

These are my own thoughts. I lost my husband and my mother within four months of each other and everything is so very precious to me. Even my husband's watch that doesn't run anymore. And a Hershey's Kiss silver necklace of my mother's.

Please don't be too anxious. Sit on them for a while and if it becomes absolutely necessary, go ahead, but once they leave your hands, they are gone forever. At least I know they are safe and sound here.

You have my sincerest condolences. I know how you are feeling. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

so sorry for your loss. Also auctioneers have some knowledge regarding appraising items.

Sorry for your loss. I have been "told", not to "do" anything for at least a year. Allow the heart to settle. Good Luck, I would start with your insurance company, they should know someone who knows someone.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

My mother passed away four years ago tomorrow. I was going to give away her things, and sell the things no one wanted. I lost a lot of sleep over what to do. So I decided to give my granddaughters first pick of whatever they wanted. Then I kept the rest, I still have it and I actually use the china every now and then and I wear her jewelry. These things always put a smile on my face and I seem to be happier when I'm using or wearing her things. I think it's because I feel she is with me still. So don't rush in and give away or sell her things. Take the time to grieve and then look at her things, put them away. A few months down the road, take them out and look again. That may help you decide what to keep.

So sorry for your loss. I would also check into the Antique Roadshow (PBS) and they do have a lot of interesting information. Fun show to watch especially when people are told on how valuable an item they have is !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I am sorry for your loss. When my mother passed, she left my sister all of her gold jewelry, and left me all of her silver since that is what my sister and I wear. I inherited 27 lbs! of silver jewelry with a stipulation that I would know what to do with it. I chose the pieces I wanted, then called my nieces and nephews to my house, and let them chose what they liked as a remembrance. These are the two I wear most often. The ruby one was made for her by a friend who was a silver smith. (It was her birthstone) and the opal she wore all the time, so I do. ( even if it is a little tight)

The others are right, don't try to make logical decisions about all of the stuff until you have had time to grieve. You will be glad later.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    have the opal one sized. if you have big knuckles like I do.
    have them put shots in. it's little balls, smaller than a BB
    and it acts as a sizer, gets over your knuckle and keeps it in place.
    this is also good for a top heavey ring.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

All great advice. I just lost my dad. My mom gave me his Rolex watch. She has not yet gone through his clothing, but I did clean out his garage for her. Now his vast collection of fishing poles and reels and his wonderful old trains are safely stashed until she decides what, if anything, she wants to do with them.

I concur with everyone here! Please do not be hasty in selling your mom's things until you have time to grief. My paternal grandparents passed away one after the other and my father would have given all of their things to his brother or goodwill if my mother had not intervened. They kept the crystal and china since my uncle had no interest and several oil paintings my grandmother had painted. Now my father sometimes wishes he had kept some of the furniture as well, especially a small side table they had already owned when he was a little boy. it was all scuffed up but my grandmother would always tell the story about how my dad as a little boy had marked up the table. She treasured it :/

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I think I will take some time and not make any decision yet. One day I want to keep everything and the next I want to sell it. When it comes right down to it, I will probably keep most things for the DD and DGD.

As we get older, our beloved trinkets, which we have many, will have to be taken care of. After some time I decided to give my children, & grandchildren a sheet of paper, and let them write on it what they liked. Then we started with oldest, and went down to the youngest. Each one picked what they wanted, and took it home, some times there would be two that liked the same item, but they worked it out them selves. Now we don`t have to worry about someone not getting any thing, & having to move or sell on auction later! I feel better that I know this and Since We (Hubby & I ) never inheirited anything and wanted our treasures to have a nice home. None were of much value . but a remberance from us.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    It's been since "92" my mother passed away. The funeral director put the jewelry she had on in a pouch and I thought gave it to my father who gave it to my sister. She had 2 pair of earrings (pearl and diamond). One necklace was a set of pearls and the other was a heart shape pendant of their first wedding set of diamonds. She also had a watch and her wedding rings and 2 other rings. No one know where they are. I quit asking few years ago. My niece has a watch and2 pearl necklaces (not the same) and wanted my sister and I to have them. I already have a necklace. Did not know my youngest sister didn't have anything of Mom's. Told my niece to let my sisters decide between them. There are 3 other nieces so they are going to be asked. I have 2 pair of earrings diamond and rubies I'm going to give one each to my boys. they were ties often and I thought of having tie tacks made. Only thing I know to do. Hang onto them for awhile. At least til you learn more about those pieces.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    How rude of me. Please accept my condolences. It's so hard and difficult. Take your time.