Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A question for the people in the USA >

A question for the people in the USA

A question for the people in the USA

Old 11-28-2010, 03:27 AM

Thanksgiving weekend remains a family time for us, much as it was when I was a child. I don't think I have ever been shopping that Friday. This year we went downtown Friday night for a "lighting" festival around the square. The biggest hassle was keeping eight people together moving around to the different venues.:)
Old 11-28-2010, 03:56 AM

Black Friday, when everyone shops in hard stores, is now traditionally followed by "Cyber Monday," the largest online shopping day of the year!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by acjacques
The down side of Black Friday is that most of those who go shopping end up being in the red because they use their credit cards to the max. I believe that if the stores keep their prices the same throughout the year they will get their customers no matter what day of the year it is.
I agree.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:02 AM

you could eliminate all the pushing, shoving and trampling with one simple rule-
If a store offers items at a certain price, they have to offer rainchecks if they are out of it.

Would put an end to the craziness but I doubt it will happen.

Also, I wonder how many people go nuts for a "Low" price, then put it on their CC - by the time they pay it off, with interest, it winds up costing more than the retail price.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:29 AM

I think it is like running with the bulls. I waited at a store since 1 a.m. and they didn't open until 6 a.m. I was lucky - everyone waited in their cars until4:30 a.m. and then stood at the doors. All this just for a good deal on a shop vac for my hubby.

I got one - he loves it early christmas present
Old 11-28-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Darlene
Black Friday is a media thing they invented the name and it stuck. I wouldn't be caught dead out at those sales. Besides there will be many more better sales before Christmas.
Yes, it is like a lot of our holidays--"Grandparents' Day, Bosses" Day", and so on. They were invented by the greeting card companies, and we all feel compelled to participate. And yes, except for a few ridiculous giveaways, you can buy the same stuff as late as Christmas Eve at the same price. People feel like they have to be in on it because everyone else is!

Me--I shopped online. Might have spent an extra $20, but I saved my gas and my sanity.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
you could eliminate all the pushing, shoving and trampling with one simple rule-
If a store offers items at a certain price, they have to offer rainchecks if they are out of it.

Would put an end to the craziness but I doubt it will happen.

Also, I wonder how many people go nuts for a "Low" price, then put it on their CC - by the time they pay it off, with interest, it winds up costing more than the retail price.
You make a great point. I went to a store once (not on Black Friday but in response to a sale ad) and that location didn't even stock the advertised item! If they offer something at a certain price, that should be the price for at least one full day--not until the handful that they have are gone.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:42 AM

Hold on everyone. Cyber Monday is about to begin. Get in keyboard ready position......
Old 11-28-2010, 09:35 AM

Yeah, I saw that today. The latest craze!
Old 11-28-2010, 04:10 PM

I do not do crowds. Have never shopped on Black Fridays, I do not not care how big the savings, Did I mention I do not do crowds?