Quirky Habits

Old 07-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by buslady View Post
OMG, I am reading this while I eat my lunch at work. I'',m glad there's nobody else here right now. They would think I was NUTS!
I gotta tell you my BAT story!! For the record, I HATE BATS!!! We were remodeling our upstairs and had the walls/ceilings torn out to replace. That evening we had 14 yes, 14 bats in the house! One came down the stairs and landed on the couch right next to me. I screamed and jumped up off the couch and ran outside. Now, mind you, that bat landed right next to me, right where I put my hands to get up. EEEEEWWWWWW! I touched it. DH and a couple of his friends tried to shoot a couple of them, can't be done. But you can't tell a man anything. LOL Anyway, I moved out. A friend let me sleep on the couch at their house. DH kept asking when I was coming home, to which I replied, when that upstairs has been sealed so no more bats can get in!! Never seen him work so fast nor so hard on anything before or since!! We still occasionally get a bat in the house, DH thinks he found the spot and plugged it. We'll see about that. The sound of them flying around the room wakes me from a dead sleep. My famous "bat cry" can be heard all over! We have a tennis racket hanging by the door that he uses to get it. My cat caught one a while back. DH came upstairs, I was hiding under the covers, he must have scared the cat cause she let go and it scrambled off under a pile of something or other. We were both standing there trying to figure out the best way to find the blinkety blank thing when the cat heard us, ran over into the pile and came back with the bat. Layed it at DH feet. Can you say "Good Kitty". well that is enough of my rant. Oh, did I say "I HATE BATS"? Can't say it enough!!
great story! I'm just happy for you that your dh cared whether you came home or not. Mine might let me stay away for a while, lol...or is that the other way around?
Old 07-20-2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie View Post
Finally!!! Someone who "collects" boxes. I just have this overwhelming urge to keep a box that looks stable and usable for mailing, putting things in for storage. I don't just confine this to things coming in the house or through the grocery store. I do it when I'm out and about. I travel from school to school for my job. The cafeterias are always putting out good boxes. I take the oddest routes into the school just so I can pass by the cafeteria! Then there's the teacher's work room. There's wonderful Home Depot & copy paper boxes.

One day I found a couple of great copy paper boxes at a school. I didn't want to carry them with me to see my students, I just hurried outside and put it on the hood of my car. I figured that being on the hood, it would keep people from taking it. Well, I come outside after I finish and the two boxes are gone!!! Who would do a dirty thing like that?

I have finally imposed a limit on how many boxes I can have in the garage. If they can fold down, there's no limit because they really don't take up space. I have a very large box in the garage. I limit myself to just filling that box with boxes and no more! You should see how I meticulously put boxes inside boxes to make more room for boxes!
Not only will I pilfer them, I make my DH do it, too. I like to store my stash in paper boxes (y'know what I mean... what copy paper comes in) & since I don't work anymore, I have him bring them home for me. I'm sure his co-workers think he's some kind of nut-job hoarder, but that's the price of love... LOL!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
I'm sorry you were bat-i-fied!
as for me, I'll deal with a bat instead of a gator any day. At least a bat would have to peck you to death.
I don't know...you may be right...quick and get it over with...chomp!
I'm sure it's just an urban legend but I'm afraid the bat will get in my hair. Plus, they just carry so many awful diseases. Yes, I know how wonderful they are to kill bugs,etc. but given a choice, I'll take skeeters over bats any ol' day of the week. BTW... my 6'3" big, ol strapping DS is PETRIFIED of bats, too!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:17 PM

hey...I wanna do that! great idea (a "box" tradition, lol)
They're always talking about how important it is to have traditions, right? Maybe I'll pick one of my really "good" boxes & pass it down thru the generations... LOL!

Oh, speaking of good boxes... DH has started getting the best kind. We get big giant boxes of Cheerios at Sam's & they come in AWESOME boxes!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie View Post
Finally!!! Someone who "collects" boxes. I just have this overwhelming urge to keep a box that looks stable and usable for mailing, putting things in for storage. I don't just confine this to things coming in the house or through the grocery store. I do it when I'm out and about. I travel from school to school for my job. The cafeterias are always putting out good boxes. I take the oddest routes into the school just so I can pass by the cafeteria! Then there's the teacher's work room. There's wonderful Home Depot & copy paper boxes.

One day I found a couple of great copy paper boxes at a school. I didn't want to carry them with me to see my students, I just hurried outside and put it on the hood of my car. I figured that being on the hood, it would keep people from taking it. Well, I come outside after I finish and the two boxes are gone!!! Who would do a dirty thing like that?

I have finally imposed a limit on how many boxes I can have in the garage. If they can fold down, there's no limit because they really don't take up space. I have a very large box in the garage. I limit myself to just filling that box with boxes and no more! You should see how I meticulously put boxes inside boxes to make more room for boxes!
I can see...I do that too!
We used to buy a lot of nuts in cans and I kept those too.
I make homemade cookies at Christmas and gave all the kids a can of them.
They laugh when I don't have the right sized box, I cut and trim two, slide them together and make one the size I need.
I've even been known to give a Christmas present in a cereal or cracker box!
The first year my 2nd son in law saw that he was...hmmm,...I just know he thought that was pretty weird, lol.
I now just keep "purty" boxes or nice, sturdy ones.
My favorites are the giant ones that an appliance comes in. I like to cut windows and a door for my grandkids!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I'm notorious for my use of soap boxes. Hey... they're the perfect size for little stuff. The kids always say "A soap box... MOM!". And I've been known to ask for the box back, too.
I have Tide boxes that I cleaned out and put my quilting magazines in them. They have a handle too and you can pick up a lot of mags at one time with no worries.
Did I mention I have a lot of qu magazines, lol.
Guess I'm a bit of a paper freak as well as fabric
Old 07-20-2012, 08:08 PM

I have a box that my friend wrapped both the box and the lid in this great silver metallic paper and then put a fabulous bow on it. That is my most special Christmas box. It's so nice that you can just lift the lid off and not unwrap it. I have other boxes that I keep the gift tags on and the same people get them year after year. I guess that might be more thrifty than quirky.....not cheap. No, no, not cheap!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie Okay, someone else surely does this. Last night, I got up to get something to drink. Went into the kitchen and turned on the light. That's when I noticed (due to this thread!) that I only had one eye open and the other tightly shut. Yeah, I always do that but never really thought about it, before. It's normal, right?

I know that dolphins sleep with one eye open!

Last edited by Quilting Nonnie; 07-20-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:49 PM

I can see...I do that too!
We used to buy a lot of nuts in cans and I kept those too.
I make homemade cookies at Christmas and gave all the kids a can of them.
They laugh when I don't have the right sized box, I cut and trim two, slide them together and make one the size I need.
I've even been known to give a Christmas present in a cereal or cracker box!
The first year my 2nd son in law saw that he was...hmmm,...I just know he thought that was pretty weird, lol.
I now just keep "purty" boxes or nice, sturdy ones.
My favorites are the giant ones that an appliance comes in. I like to cut windows and a door for my grandkids!
No one's going to make me give presents in "nice" boxes. Any box that fits is pretty. I even used a tampax box once...it was for a single girlfriend. Just us girls in an apartment, no guys around.

I love those big cereal boxes from Sam's or Costco. They are sooo sturdy. I use them in different rooms for recycle "bins." And they're the greatest for sending things in. I have 2 children, plus their spouses and two dgds who live on the opposite coast. Having sturdy boxes is a priority!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:10 PM

I have Tide boxes that I cleaned out and put my quilting magazines in them. They have a handle too and you can pick up a lot of mags at one time with no worries.
Did I mention I have a lot of qu magazines, lol.
Guess I'm a bit of a paper freak as well as fabric
It's official! We're the same person! I'll put 2 boxes together, too. And I'll use ANY kind of box that I think works. I also save cans (Pringles cans are THE best) & food containers (we have a Chinese restaurant that uses THE perfect take-out plastic containers!). I also have more quilting magazines that I'll EVER read (I still have them from the 90's!). Face it, we're hoarders. But at least we're hoarders who have the right size containers!