Raising Grandchildren

Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 PM

On the night my first grandchild was born, my SIL decided he didn't want to be married anymore, nor did he want to be a father - so he left her high and dry in the hospital after having a c-section! She lived about 1 hr from me and after a few months of me paying her rent and travelling back and forth, she went back to work and got a place near me. She's a teacher and when she returned to work, my grandson stayed with me. Fortunately, I run our family business from home, so I was able to work and watch him at the same time. Although there were (and still are) many a night when I'm burning the midnight oil to get paperwork done so I can go to school functions with him. He comes here most days after school and I do homework with him, take him to Karate, for haircuts, to chess lessons, etc. etc. She works on Sat. also, so he's with me. To be honest, it wears me out sometimes, but I love the closeness we have. I do wish I had more "me" time, but this is the way it is and when he looks at me and puts his arms around my neck and says "I love you Nana", my heart melts and I'm so grateful to have him. My younger daughter lives nearly 3 hrs. away and I don't get to see her 2 yr old son often and I find that so strange since I'm with the older boy so much. You know what they say - "when life hands you scraps - make quilts"! In my neighborhood, I see so many grandparents taking kids to school, pushing them in the stroller, at the park, etc. It's the way things are these days.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

I was raised by my grandparents, and I was blessed to have them. We kept our first grandson everyday until he started school. i wouldn't have missed it for the world! We owned our own store, and raised him in it. He took his first steps there. It takes both parents working these days to make ends meet. I think kids are better when they have the grandparents in their lives.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

I think that we are one of the few countries that grandparents/families aren't the primary babysitters. In talking to people that I have worked with, the older family always were caring for the little ones...it was a true "village raising the children"
Old 12-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

My daughter and her boyfriend had lived together for six years when she got pregnant. When my DGD was 11 months he decided he didn't want to be a full time dad anymore. Dear daughter asked if she could move in with me til she got on her feet. I supported her while she went back to school and found a new and better career. It was hard for a while. I didn't have the me time anymore and my house was turned upside down to find room for them. Long story short my DGD is six now and I can't imagine life without her here. She is my quilting buddy and loves going to the fabric store more than I do.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:01 AM

18 years ago my grand daughter was diagnosed with brain tumors and needed care and I took her in as both her parents had to work to pay for her needed care and trips to NYC for specialized care but the parents took her home every chance they could and on weekends. After several surgeries Drs. said she wouldn't get past a 3rd grade mentality. She is still our little girl and how she loves her grandfather (I come with the package). Where is she now? Although she is now in College she still has 2 unoperable brain tumors (non malignant) and we thank God every day. We never thought we would be taking care of little ones in our retirement and we would do it any day.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:36 AM

It is a precious thing for grandparents to step up to the plate and care for their grandchildren.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 AM

My daughters second husband did not want to support her first two boys....so they have been with me ...Damon is 21 Mason is 16...now my son is here and he brought a boy 13 and a girl 17....my favorite job is doing for a family that includes kids
Old 12-12-2009, 08:05 PM

When my daughter started working, she asked me if I wanted to babysit my grands or if she should put them in daycare. I absolutely wanted to watch them. They offered to pay me, but I refused. I think it's sad that many grandparents feel it's a burden to help with grandchildren. IMO families were much closer when there was more interaction between the generations. (I'm not being judgemental. Many grandparents also work full-time jobs and don't have the opportunity to spend as much time as they would like with their grands.)
Old 12-12-2009, 08:20 PM
GMA

our first grandaughter came early and we were a big part of her family and were for almost 3 yrs. She is 16 now and we never have regreted anything we gave up to help this wonderful young lady be the person she is today.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:21 PM

Up until a few months ago, I had been caring for my grandson since he was about 6 weeks old. The days varied from week to week but it was anywhere from 1-3 1/2 days a week, 24/7. It really started taking a tole on me by the time he could get around faster than I could. My daughter is pregnant again but I told her that I can't do this any longer. It's going to hurt so much to know she's handing that baby and my grandson to someone else to watch but I have severe arthritis and it's just too hard on me. I wish I had the stamina to take them both on but I'm supposed to be retired and I do want to have time for myself.