Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Remember the fads we had in school? >

Remember the fads we had in school?

Remember the fads we had in school?

Old 12-18-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise
I graduated from high school in '86, so we wore leg warmers, jelly shoes and bracelets, BIG BIG BIG hair :-D , Members Only jackets, off-the-shoulder Flashdance shirts, Swatch watches, stirrup pants, etc.

Fun times! :mrgreen:
I graduated 2 years later than you. I remember most of this stuff also.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis
I was a child of the 70's and 80's - I remeber rainbow shirts, combs in our back pocket, feathered hair (Farrah Fawcett hair), candies shoes, shoulder pads. We thought we were so cool then....
You mean we weren't cool?? Ahhh all these years I thought we were :mrgreen:
Old 12-18-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
Originally Posted by Kitsie
And saddle shoes, then pink and black sweaters, skin tight skirts, mid-calf length skirts that "met" the pulled up bobby socks. Pony tails and bangs. "Twin set" sweaters. Scarfs like a cowboy type worn over the twin sets! And pin curling your hair with crossed bobby pins all over your head! I was a tom-boy but the "clique" decided to fix me all up. With my blue cat's eye glasses I didn't really turn any heads. Next day back to the jock that I was!

Thanks for the memories!
Love it

Kitsie, your memories really brought back mine! I well remember wearing my brothers sweater, pale blue, with a black tight skirt and the saddle shoes and socks pulled up to meet the skirt. My gosh!! I must have looked so silly!! Also wore levis so tight I had to lay on the floor to button them, and my dad or brothers shirts tied in a knot in front Now that was cool!! Once in awhile I managed to get out of the house with brothers favorite shirt before he grabbed it .LOL
Old 12-18-2010, 07:34 PM
pal

We wore the tight skirts with ballet type shoes and stockings, with a button down sweater backwards and a long pendant which accentuated your boyfriends ring which was hanging around your neck. We also wore the plastic collar with the two grommets and a silk scarf through it.

We used to send a "slam book" all around the class, during class. It had a list of questions and each of your friends answered the questions and then folded it over so that no one could see their answers. (wink, wink)
Old 12-18-2010, 07:50 PM

I remember really full skirts and the straight skirts. What about the sac dress? Lord they were ugly!!

We couldn't wear pants in school, wore saddle shoes and bobby sox. Girls wore head scarves. I remember the crinolines and the sound they made when you walked!

Does anybody remember the spoolies they came out with to curl your hair? What about the Toni perms?

The cool boys wore tee shirts and pegged levis and had Fonzy duck tails. :lol: :lol:
Old 12-18-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sue Fors
I can remember the white lipstick and eye make-up. I also ironed my hair on the ironing board when it got too long for those oj cans!
Had a sorority sister who used 4 - 1 lb. coffee cans. Pulled her hair up on top of her head into a pony tail and put one facing front, one facing back and one on each side.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:02 PM

I remember getting "a perm" which meant that my hair was put in metal curlers that were attached to something in the ceiling and the beautician pulled a lever and fried my hair. I'll admit it was curly, but the fried ends kept breaking off even while my aunts kept bragging on how pretty it was. They were brushing burnt hairs off their own shoulders at the same time from their "perms." I think this was in the mid 1940s or so. Maybe a trifle earlier. I do know that I was in my 40s before I ever dared to get another "perm."
Old 12-18-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I remember really full skirts and the straight skirts. What about the sac dress? Lord they were ugly!!

We couldn't wear pants in school, wore saddle shoes and bobby sox. Girls wore head scarves. I remember the crinolines and the sound they made when you walked!

Does anybody remember the spoolies they came out with to curl your hair? What about the Toni perms?

The cool boys wore tee shirts and pegged levis and had Fonzy duck tails. :lol: :lol:
yes, I remember those curlers. Had a bunch of them that were my sisters( I had curly hair), after I had a little girl, I used them on her. Crinolines, and those collars too . what about the real wide belts? gosh, wish I had that waist line back!!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:14 PM

Those were the days of fun and no cares.
My grade school and high school always allowed pants. My high school was located 2 blocks from the beach. During spring exams everyone would go to the beach during break time. We had one exam in the morning and another after lunch.
I did marry my high school boyfriend. After almost 47 years of marriage he is still my love.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:20 PM

I never went into those "fads". I wore Levi's and t-shirts. On occasion I wore more girly attire. I had an old sweater I absolutely loved, my Gram knitted it for me. It was a size or two big for me, but Gram made it and I loved it so.