Roast Beef

Old 04-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Banned

My mouth waters for a beef roast,but when I see the prices,I have to move on by. We are so sick of chicken. We have been eating a lot of meatless meals lately.My all time favorite is an old time sliced hot roast beef sandwich (mashed potatoes on bread with the meat and gravy) and a salad....ohhh yum!!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 06:32 AM

My favorite meal!! When I have gravy leftover,I usually serve it over wide egg noodles.We also like mashed turnips instead of potatoes. NOt with the gravy though!
Old 04-08-2011, 06:37 AM

You could serve green beans, macroni and cheese, salad and fruit.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by mythreesuns
I use lipton onion soup mix (1 package dry) added to my roast, then carrots and potatoes and just add enough water to come up to 1/2 the height of the roast. I then cook it at 350 for 5 to 6 hours. It totally falls into pieces. My mother-in-law (who was a cook at our local hospital and nursing home) begs me to make this for her all the time.
I do this too. But I add a can of beef broth and cook mine in the Crock Pot on low for 5-6 hours. It always turns out great and it makes the house smell wonderful too. Maybe some fresh or frozen peas would be good too. My family likes corn or green beans and applesauce with this too.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca
Ok, I'm gonna do it. Bought a roast, first in years. DH doesn't want mashed potatoes, what can I serve ( veggie wise) with it. He just wants beef & gravey & homemade bread. I'm having guests so need more than that.
Roasted vegetables go wonderfully with roast. I usually do roast in the crock pot which frees up the oven for the veggies. Cut your veggies (I do potatoes, onions, carrots, parsnips, mushrooms) into wedges. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, oregano (sometimes I use savory instead) and mix until everything is well coated. Heat the oven to 450 and, once it is hot, put in a cookie sheet to heat up for 15 minutes. Pull out the sheet and put the veggies on then put it back in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Take out of the oven, cover with foil and let it steam under the foil for 15 minutes. Very yummy.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:51 AM

Okay - I'm odd man out -- I can't stand my carrots and potatoes cooked in the broth with the roast....they never finish on time anyways! So, I bake potatoes to go with the roasts. It's simple, easy to set out and fast.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Okay - I'm odd man out -- I can't stand my carrots and potatoes cooked in the broth with the roast....they never finish on time anyways! So, I bake potatoes to go with the roasts. It's simple, easy to set out and fast.
I dont like them cooked together either. It ruins a good tasting gravy!

Shannon, thanks for telling how you do the roast veggies. I did them a long time ago, and we loved them , then I never could remember how I did it. Will be having them this week-end!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:45 PM

Green Bean Casserole
(The one with Cream of Mushroom Soup & Frenchs Onions)
Old 04-08-2011, 12:47 PM

[quote=true4uca]Thanks for all the suggestions. cjomomma the gravey mix sounds like an idea I will use. Will go with oven roasted veggies. Used to do those many years ago.Since retirement we no longer cook big meals. -
--------------------------------
Man, do I agree with you!! Since I live alone, I'll meet anywhere with anyone I know at any restaurant or cafe, just some where I don't have to cook and do the clean up.
And with chocolate, I'd follow Quasimodo himself into a dark alley if he held out a box of Lady Godiva chocolates.

Used to do the June Cleaver bit, but after the kids went out on their own amd DH died, no reason much to do all that.
Diet Pepsi, fine chocolates, a good book and my cat on my lap, that is my idea of a perfect evening pastime.