Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Roof or Attic Inspection Calls - - >

Roof or Attic Inspection Calls - -

Roof or Attic Inspection Calls - -

Old 08-09-2017, 08:32 PM

I have been getting a lot of calls "The Windows on your computer is soon to expire" duh. I may be old and not very electronically educated, but come on.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:12 PM

I get the resort calls, too and I especially hate it when they call me on my cell phone since only family and very close friends have that phone number. I haven't had roof repair or inspection calls, but since my DH died last year, I was getting calls from contractors wanting to work on my house almost daily until I got caller ID. Now I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the caller and few of the callers leave a message. I also get calls from realtors wanting to sell my house. They have buyers wanting houses in my neighborhood. I don't want to sell my house because I can afford my house payments.

Marilyn
Old 08-10-2017, 03:57 AM

If I don't recognize the number, I do not answer. If it is important, the caller will leave a message. Put your number on the do-not-call list. It works! Also, when you receive a call you do not want, tell them not to call again. They must remove your name from their list or you can report them to the FCC and they can be fined.

I have also taken the time to get myself off mailing lists. For magazines and catalogs, I call them and tell them to "delete my name from their records." When I receive something in the mail that has an envelope with prepaid postage, I circle my name and address and write the same thing, then mail it back to them on their dollar.

It took a little time at first, but I receive very little junk mail.

Last edited by paoberle; 08-10-2017 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:05 AM

No, I keep getting collection calls for a man named David and a woman named Maria. I've had this same phone number for probably 15 years, and about every 5 years these calls start up again; probably when the debt is sold to some new collector. Give it up folks. David and Maria are long gone, you're not getting your money back.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:12 AM

The robo calls that are driving DH and I crazy lately are offering to help us pay off our student loans. DH never went to college so no student loans, and mine were forgiven when I had a stroke at 32 years old. Weirdest thing is they call us by proper names....we get 9-12 calls per day each, and this is after filing complaints to the "do not call list" number. Problem is, each call appears to come from a different number! They rotate the numbers they use, to defeat your call blocking and the do not call list. Grrrrrrr!
Old 08-10-2017, 10:14 AM

I'm getting the same calls. We stayed one night and I am getting a lifetime of calls. You can't interrupt them and tell them that you no longer travel and you are sure they have lots of BEDBUGS. What do we do change our number??? Never give it out again? Sue the hotel?

Marcia
Old 08-10-2017, 10:50 AM

Try getting "nomorerobo" It's free and helps cut down on the robo calls. I think it can be used for land lines and cell phones. The link is www.nomorerobo.com
Old 08-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
No, I keep getting collection calls for a man named David and a woman named Maria. I've had this same phone number for probably 15 years, and about every 5 years these calls start up again; probably when the debt is sold to some new collector. Give it up folks. David and Maria are long gone, you're not getting your money back.
omg, that's so funny!!! ( but annoying for you)
Old 08-11-2017, 05:49 AM

Me too! I just hang up.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I had that same thing happen! My cell phone number is the first one we got in the late 80's or early 90's when my husband one of those old pack phones for field use. I started getting calls from a collection agency for some person I'd never heard of. I finally answered and told the guy that I've had this number for over 20 years and the person he was looking for wasn't at this number. There was a pause . . . then the guy says "Do you know his number?" I just hung up. There seems to be very little intelligent life in collections.