Scam

Old 05-29-2016, 01:44 PM

Chasing Hawk has a good idea. I'll use that one.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:22 PM

They call me once a week last time they called I acted freaked out that I had a virus let them try to talk me through it when I said oh I need to be on the internet? he calmly said yes I said what the heck would I need that for and he hung up! It cracked me up! One other time the guy used the F word with me when I saidI did not freekin have a computer! sometimes it can make your day!
Old 05-29-2016, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
We usually ask them where our computer is cause it was stolen. Then we say that the police need to know where it is so they can go pick it up. Usually they hang up rather quickly after that.
I like the above method. I tell them to hold on and then ask them questions as to what is a computer, I don't know if I have one, OK how do you turn it on, then I tell them to wait again, last I tell them I dropped the computer and it's under wear, tell them to say underwear and laugh then hang up.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:27 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I have a cell phone only, have had no land line for probably close to 15 years, so I always can identify a number or a blocked call. I NEVER answer an 800 (or similar) #; I only respond if there's a voice mail that's appropriate for me. If someone I do not know and the number is not in the 800s, I always let that go to voice mail, too. Anyone who really needs me can/will leave a message.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
I keep getting calls from "out of the area" telling me that there is a problem with my PC. The person (definitely Asian)says he is calling from Microsoft Windows. Has anyone else gotten these type of calls recently?
I found a FAX MACHINE SOUND online and recorded it for my answering machine msg. I rarely get any calls on the landline anymore, and when I do, they hang up immediately. If you know me, you have my cell. LOL
Old 05-29-2016, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

I have gotten to where I recognize the numbers and if they don't leave a message, I don't call back. I tell "new" people to text me who they are and give me their numbers so I can 'create a contact'. The other day I got 4 calls from 2 numbers. No one left a message so I sent no reply.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:58 PM

The scam, "We got a call from your computer" called and for some unknown reason I answered the phone. When I heard the, We got a call I started saying, Really? What did it say? My computer has never called me? It doesn't even talk to me, what did it say? What did it sound like? And the person hung up. I don't know why.......
We get the messages from the IRS from time to time on the machine. I am still amazed anyone would call them back.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:05 PM

Yes, I do get some of these. When they start talking I tell them I on the "no call list" and they immediately hang up on me.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:43 PM

My mother in law got the same call. She has no computer so she had an easy out. lol. I got one a few weeks ago (before we added caller ID) and I just said no thanks and hung up.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:28 AM

Yes, I used to get this call about every day. After asking that I be removed from their calling list and still getting calls, I now tell him "I don't have a computer" he then hangs up and I don't get a call for quite a while. Once I even asked him what kind of windows do you sell? Bella, etc.