Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Sewing Question

A Sewing Question

Yesterday, I bought a childs pattern for a little girls dress 1-4 size (she is 3), and learned last night that she wears size 5 ready made clothing. So! What I would like to know is how accurate would the pattern size be? If I made the size 4, would it fit her? Her gramma said she is tall (her head comes up to just under grannies boobs)If it won't work, now what am I going to do?..It is one of those pinafore dresses I've always LOVED! Thanks in advance

It has been awhile since I sewed garments but have her gramma get some measurements using the measurement points on the pattern, i.e. chest, waist, hips etc and match those to the pattern. If the pattern measurements are say 1" smaller than the little girl, perhaps you could just add an inch all around the pattern.

mltquilt

Depending what brand (new look, simplicity, etc) I found they tend to run big. Is she close by to measure her?
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

can you take it back and exchanged it
    for the next size pattern?

Blog Entries
    Here is what I was told; not sure if kids clothes are the same. I have noticed that in my clothes that again this past yr the sizing has changed and I went from a size 6 to a size 4; not that I've lost that much weight. I was told that while manufacures have changed sizes to I guess help peoples egoes the pattern sizes have not changed. I haven't made any for a while so I don't know. Look at the back of the pattern and take a few measurments and compare them to the measurements of your child to know for sure.
    Judy

You'll need the child's measurements. Sizes for ready-made clothing and patterns don't correlate very well. Maybe the store will let you exchange the pattern for the next size up of the same or similar style.

I sew for a young granddaughter.

The patterns are accurate ... according to the standards of the company making them!
    Just like us ... you can go to one store and a Small fits, then to a different store, and a Small is way to small! Or what really gets me is that in the same store, one manufacturer's Small works ... and the other one, you need a Large.

So the only way you'll know ............ Measure child ... Measure pattern.
    Compare and Decide.
    You can always lengthen it when cutting out the pieces.
    Check that the waist falls where it should be, or you'll be needing to lengthen that section too.

If the pattern size works for the child, great.
    If not, better to purchase a new one, even if you have to absorb the extra cost, than to fiddle too much with altering the existing one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sew for my grand daughters and I would never start without the measurements. I am using some of the pattern's I used for my oldest who is now 21 for my youngest who is 18mos.

Most of the patterns I have used run big, but the only way to know is for sure is to do measurements.

Thanks for your input. I wanted to surprise her. We live in Missouri, they live in Montana. I looked on the pattern envelope and the size 4 is made for up to 40 inches tall. That seems to be the perfect height. With the TONS of stash I have, I failed to REMEMBER that it was 100% cotton and would need ironing...looks like I have to go shopping for a blend..pity...NOT!

I recently sewed a dress for my small 8 year old granddaughter. Pattern was a size 5 and still a little big on her. I went by her chest and waist measurements and these were the closest. If she lived nearby I would have had a fitting. Don't go by readymade. They are different.

I made a flower girl dress for my granddaughter. Started with the size 3 which was nearest her measurements and ended up (thank goodness I'd bought extra fabric) making something between a 2 and 3. Had to fold off more than an inch around the bodice. She sure did look nice tho!! If it is something special, do a trial run with cheap broadcloth first.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Maybe I can add the rest of my thought now. I love pinafore dresses, but my modern DIL would NEVER, EVER put a pinafore style dress on my granddaughter. Ask me how I know! You might want to find out about the pickiness of the mother before you do a whole labor of love on an oldfashioned style beautiful dress for the little girl.

I would measure the child first, but in my garment sewing days, I found the patterns to run big. In fact, I could use a child's pattern for a long time by just lengthening the waist and hem, because kids often just get taller and not much bigger around in their early years.

Get the granny or parents to measure the child and then you can make adjustments if necessary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch View Post
    Yesterday, I bought a childs pattern for a little girls dress 1-4 size (she is 3), and learned last night that she wears size 5 ready made clothing. So! What I would like to know is how accurate would the pattern size be? If I made the size 4, would it fit her? Her gramma said she is tall (her head comes up to just under grannies boobs)If it won't work, now what am I going to do?..It is one of those pinafore dresses I've always LOVED! Thanks in advance
    From my own experience the patterns runs atleast 1 or 2 sizes bigger.

Blog Entries
    remembering pinafore when i was young always had two or three rows of tucks in the bodice and just above the hem

I sew a lot for my granddaughter and most patterns run big. If you can measure the child that would be helpful, but I bet if you make the 4 it will fit. I would consider lengthening it an inch for height, I've noticed the difference between a 4 and 5 in patterns is the length, not so much in the width.
    LadyCougar

"There's always time to quilt"

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    Maybe I can add the rest of my thought now. I love pinafore dresses, but my modern DIL would NEVER, EVER put a pinafore style dress on my granddaughter. Ask me how I know! You might want to find out about the pickiness of the mother before you do a whole labor of love on an oldfashioned style beautiful dress for the little girl.
    Even if the mom doesn't like it, kids usually love pinafore styles and will wear them no matter what! Also, I've never sewn a kids pattern that ended up close to their size. If I do it without measurements, they have to grow into them. Bummer!
    Lenette

Blog Entries
    When I sew of Olivia, everything is a bit big if I use the same size as her clothes. When I sew for my self I have just the oposite problem. In ready made skirts I wear an 8, when I made a skirt I use a size 14. Big difference!
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

Get her grandma to measure her for the dress as you can enlarge size 4. Measure around neck, upper arms, chest, waist, hips and length of where her dress should be.

Blog Entries
    I agree that you should get measurements. height and weight are a good start as new patterns tend to have them on them. My DGD is almost 4, and the size 3 childs pattern is still too big around the neck.
    Sometimes patterns have an ease added in and that makes them run bigger than ready made. But start with measurements. She my be smaller at the shoulders for one size but need the next size in length.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

I would definately get her measurements...at least the chest and waist. You say that she is tall...maybe that is why she is wearing a 5...the 4's are too short.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

As carpenters always say - measure twice - cut once. I also believe that patterns run big. "Wearing ease" is what they call it and you can end up looking like you are wearing a sack. Adding length to a pattern is fairly easy - and it does sound like she is tall - though we don't know how tall gramma is. Best bet -besides getting a new size pattern and knowing she will grow into it eventually - is to make an inexpensive prototype and seeing how it works. 5/8" seams are forgiving and adjustable!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast