Sewing Room vs Guest Room

Old 06-17-2019, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

well my office was also the guest room. then my middle granddtr came for two years. She found a friend to live with now and my youngest granddtr is staying here for a visit. So my desk and computer are in my bedroom still. sigh. It is a bit crowded in here.
luckily i have a separate room for sewing.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
DH does not share his workshop with guests so I'm not sharing mine with guests either. I had roll away beds that I set up in the den for guests. We recently bought our forever home so I made sure it had a guest room with full bath to be used as a guest room. Might not use it often but it's there and not putting me out.
Onebyone, I love your response!
Old 06-17-2019, 12:50 PM

My mother passed in October 2018. Her home is on the same property as ours. My husband has an office in our home which is packed floor to ceiling with his stuff. The only thing I go in there for is to use the "big" computer (vs. the iPad). I have some rental buildings and needed a place to meet new tenants. The financial folks said it was fine to use her house for my office space. So now I have a place to meet tenants, but also a place that can hold any guests (2BR 2baths). I go down there to sew in the kitchen. Some friends come to have lunch once a month, but we eat in the DR. I have quickly become spoiled with more space. P.S. Hubs also has an air-conditioned garage, so he can't complain! We are very blessed and know and appreciate it.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:21 PM

I have a separate sewing room and guest room. We have a family that visits occasionally so I have to remove things from the sewing room so they have room to inflate a queen-sized mattress. When they leave I bring it all back into the room. The guest room always stays the guest room although I have thought expansion would be wonderful LOL
Old 06-17-2019, 06:25 PM

My sewing room does not function as anything else. We have enough bedrooms to have a spare room which has been used once in the 20 years we've lived here so it's kind of a waste. It is a place for my antique bedroom furniture though.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:54 PM

we have 3 bedrooms, so my son's old room is the guest room and my daughter's old room is my sewing room. It does have a twin bed with a trundle under it--but no mattress on that as I use it as a giant drawer to hold fabrics. The walk-in closet still stores some of her stuff (about 1/2) my non-seasonal clothes, and my strings and other craft stuff. My long arm is in the basement and I use about 1/2 of the very large rec room for sewing space there--it' also includes my industrial sewing machine.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:40 PM

My sewing room is for my sewing pleasure only. It's actually the bonus room over the garage. Most people use it for a tv or theater room.

I do have a hide-a-bed couch that we used to use for guests when we lived in a different city than our friends and family but it has never been opened up in the almost four years that we've been in this home. This is where I sit when I am sewing my bindings on my quilts. I also have a small tv that I watch when I'm binding.

My DH has his own office in the third bedroom and our son has his musical instruments, tv and computer in the basement.

A space for everyone!
Old 06-18-2019, 12:11 AM

Living on my own, I have two spare bedrooms. The single is left for friends who often stay over and the double is mainly for sewing. Ikea have office type table tops with separate extending legs that fit over the width of a british double bed so without using any more space in the room, I have a cutting table. A second one with separate drawers underneath is in the bay window for sewing and I use the two wardrobes for storage. The ironing board lives in this room too.

On the rare occasion I need the double for guests, I just tidy up and the bed is free. The table over the foot of the bed is no problem because it is tall, but it can be moved or even dismantled if needed.

My Featherweight lives in its soft bag under the hall table. Ready to be put on the kitchen table for mindless sewing or taken out for classes etc.

Luckily there is no conflict between guests and sewing for me.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:39 AM

My spare bedroom is my sewing room also, if we have overnight guests I can move my table and machines to our master suite sitting room. I left about 16" of closet room for them and also there is a cedar chest they can put their suitcases on. I have a queen size Aero Bed, 18" high they sleep on. Or they can sleep on the pull out couch in the great room. Either way, they have their own bathroom. I like my sewing room, it has a big window that faces the street and lots of light comes in. We moved to FL from CA three years ago, so far no one has visited.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:51 AM

I have just moved and am downsizing from a 6 bedroom home to a 3 bedroom home. (I had a grandbaby and Need to be near him!) I was fortunate enough to have a large studio at my old house - now I made the formal living room my sewing room and put the rest of my studio in a finished basement. I still have two guest rooms!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-18-2019 at 07:16 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps