Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sheets/ queen size

Quote Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
    One problem I find these days with fitted sheets is they all tend to fit the new thicker mattresses and I still have the old fashion thickness mattress. I'm starting to run out of fitted sheets that actually fit. My mattress is still in good condition as I keep a mattress cover on it and flip it every 6 months as suggested years ago. I love the new lines of sheets but their fitted sheets are the pits for me. I have a full size and a queen size mattress with this problem. May have to use the suggestion and go with flat sheets all around.
    You could probably use a set of those mattress straps, to pull in the extra fabric. You just fasten them onto the sheet, across each corner of the mattress.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    In prehistoric times (like when I grew up) we never had fitted sheets, just two flat sheets. It's not that difficult to make a bed with a flat sheet. If you are making your own, that's what I would do. The added benefit is that you can rotate which sheet you use on the top and bottom and extend their life as the bottom sheet is usually the one that wears out.For sure pre wash before hemming. There probably will be noticeable shrinkage.
    We grew up in the same pre-historic period apparently. One thing that's better now if you decide to go this route - bed sheet garters. They are great...use them on our bed as my fitted sheets don't really "fit" our deep pocket mattress.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

[QUOTE=tessagin;7310547]I just make sure they're deep enough for the pillow top mattress we have and the mattress pad. I am amazed at people who don't use mattress pads. Also use one for the foundation.

Same here! I've had this come up in conversation before, and haven't ever found anyone who uses a mattress pad on the "box spring"! I have always done that!!

Blog Entries
    I bought amazing bamboo sheets for a king size bed, they are super soft and wash beautifully. Cost $40.00 for top bottom and two pillow cases
    Patski
    always learning

Here's another person who covers her box springs! I don't use a matteress pad (never thought of that) but I do keep an older fitted sheet on the box spring, then I lay the non-ruffled dust cover over that so the top and sides of the box springs have two layers of protection.

I have a thick queen-size bed. Very thick. I buy king-size bedding for it. The bottom sheet does not tuck in tight enough to "bounce a quarter", but my military days are, sadly, long gone and the slighty looser bottom sheet does not bother me anymore.

I do love the extra width on the sheets and blankets.

The corner garters never worked for us. They always popped off during the night.

I've always used a mattress pad on the mattress.
    "Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

-1974 Singer 252 Fashion Mate; 1954 Singer 15-91;
    1952 Pfaff 130-6; Bernina 230PE, and Pfaff Serger 4874.

Married in 1965 and our sheets were flat only. I laid a sheet upside down on the mattress and pinned the corners to make it fitted then sewed. One side of the corner was longer than the other side - but who cares. Used the sheets until they wore out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2