Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sheets/ queen size

Sheets/ queen size

Morning quilters, I'm hoping someone who can help me, I will be getting a new Queen sized bed this week , was hoping someone could tell me where to find a pattern to make filled sheets for it, Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions. Maggie

Power Poster
    Just wondering - why not buy fitted sheets ready made?

I did do a search for "how to make a fitted queen size sheet" - and several things did come up.

don't like. quality or price

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Just wondering - why not buy fitted sheets ready made?

I did do a search for "how to make a fitted queen size sheet" - and several things did come up.
    Checked out lots of sheets at many stores, wanted 100 per cent cotton,VERY pricey and not the best quality!
    so purchased full bolt of Roc-lon muslin by the bolt 118/120 wide got a big discount, will make nice sheets as well as quilt backing.

Blog Entries
    In prehistoric times (like when I grew up) we never had fitted sheets, just two flat sheets. It's not that difficult to make a bed with a flat sheet. If you are making your own, that's what I would do. The added benefit is that you can rotate which sheet you use on the top and bottom and extend their life as the bottom sheet is usually the one that wears out.For sure pre wash before hemming. There probably will be noticeable shrinkage.
    Last edited by PaperPrincess; 09-06-2015 at 10:59 AM.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    Even though it might say "pre- shrunk" on the end of the bolt - I would still cut off a pice about ten inches longer than you think you will need - measure it - and then wash the piece as you will when it is a sheet. Measure it again.

If it stayed the same, great! If it shrunk, then now you will be able to place your corners where they should be.

I do not like to wrestle with a too-small shhet.

I remember the time where we didn't have fitted sheets either.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I actually got a set of VERY nice, 100% cotton sheets at WalMart, of all places! They weren't especially cheap but they're silky soft and have held up well, through multiple washings.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    when did they start making fitted sheets. didn't know that.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    I actually got a set of VERY nice, 100% cotton sheets at WalMart, of all places! They weren't especially cheap but they're silky soft and have held up well, through multiple washings.
    I bought a set of 100% cotton queen size sheets and pillow cases last winter at WalMart - I think they were Better Homes and Gardens - they are very generously sized, feel silky (to me, anyway), and wash up beautifully. I don't remember if the thread count was 300 or 400. I thought it was 325 - but I don't see anything like that on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    My Daughter and I bought those sheets. They are worth every penny we payed. We both bought 2 sets. They are very generous and fit better than more expensive sheets did.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

This might sound 'corky' to some but I have bought (all sizes) several sheets at a thrift store. Thrifty, thrifty, thrifty! One white in particular is for my queen & is of very, very good quality..
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Costco and Sam's club has great prices on sheet sets.

Blog Entries
    Make sure that if you have the thick mattresses the sheets allow for this. My king and even my twin have the pillow top so I have to make sure to check the sides of the mattress measurments too.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by ljptexas View Post
    This might sound 'corky' to some but I have bought (all sizes) several sheets at a thrift store. Thrifty, thrifty, thrifty! One white in particular is for my queen & is of very, very good quality..
    Nothing wrong with that! Just wash them with antibacterial soap in hot water. Ive found some great deals at local thrift stores.

Blog Entries
    I just bet you could google how to make fitted sheets and something would come up on u tube

They have some nice, reasonable, organic cotton ones at Target as well.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
    Nothing wrong with that! Just wash them with antibacterial soap in hot water. Ive found some great deals at local thrift stores.
    Why not? people use them for quilt backings.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

We have a craftmatic bed and they take XL twin fitted sheet. I got twin sheets, flat at WM. washed and laid on bed even on all 4 sides. Pinned 4 corners at 90 degrees. After I sewed them, I trimed them and then made casing top and bottom 1 foot from corner all around the end and other corner. Then I put elastic in and sewed it at both ends and a king flat sheet and I had sheets. If I buy to sets of XLT sheets I have to sew the top sheets together and they can be hard to find, usually when collage starts you might find some as that is size they use in dorm rooms.

Blog Entries
    I sat here laughing to myself about the "prehistoric times". I remember having 2 flat sheets on the bed when I was kid. The bottom sheet was undone every morning.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I just make sure they're deep enough for the pillow top mattress we have and the mattress pad. I am amazed at people who don't use mattress pads. When we bought our last mattress, they asked if they could weigh the current one. The new one weighs more than the old one did. They were shocked. Usually old ones weigh more because of dust and gross. Told the guys we use mattress pads that are also water proof. We perspire heavily and I also wash them at least once a month. Also use one for the foundation. They just look at us. I know there are patterns for fitted sheets. Just Google.

I buy my sheets at Ross, and other clearance stores. I've gotten some great name brand bargains. I also have gotten some good deals at thrift stores on flat sheets. I wash them in hot water and dry them and use them for picnic table cloths or cut them up for card tables and other odd size tables we have laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    You are kidding aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    LOL, OK, I got curious as I remember both!!

Patented filed in 1957
    http://www.google.com/patents/US2907055
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

One problem I find these days with fitted sheets is they all tend to fit the new thicker mattresses and I still have the old fashion thickness mattress. I'm starting to run out of fitted sheets that actually fit. My mattress is still in good condition as I keep a mattress cover on it and flip it every 6 months as suggested years ago. I love the new lines of sheets but their fitted sheets are the pits for me. I have a full size and a queen size mattress with this problem. May have to use the suggestion and go with flat sheets all around.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Anyone who wants help making fitted sheets can PM me. It is easy, if you can make a quilt, you can make a fitted sheet. I learned real quick when I have to have XLT doe our beds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast