SHELVES IN SEWING ROOM

Old 05-15-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by chickadeee55
Is there anyone that puts a curtain on the front of their shelves that hold their containers of fabric and all other sewing stuff?

I have finally straighten my sewing room (thanks to you ladies and your ideas and your finished pictures of your rooms. Finally got me off my butt and I did mine. (I will post pics of before and after later.)

I walk in my room now and my eye goes to the wall with the huge shelving on it, and even though it is straighten, I don't want that to be the center point of the room, so I am thinking of hanging curtains on it.

What do you think?
I love a well themed rm so yes I would be one of those that would cover the shelves in fabric that would match my sewing rm decor.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:07 PM

how about a picture? Then we can give you better ideas.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:07 PM

Well, so far I have tried two, one was a solid fabric way too dark in color, that has to go back. Then I had a pair of textured sheers in a white, (they were on their way to Goodwill) so I thought I will dye them, I tried coffee dye first, didn't work, so then I tried a light wine color. Well, they came out way pink (even washed them several times) so now Goodwill gets pink curtians instead of white. Still looking for the right color without spending a fortune. Buying them is cheaper than getting material and making them.
Ah, another journey to travel.
Bed sheets make great curtains. 2 twin or 2 queen, depending on the width of your closet should do it. Except for sewing a casing, the rest is already hemmed. In the process of sewing the casing, you can shorten the sheet if needed. Lots of colors & designs to choose from & depending on where you buy them, cheaper than buying equal amount of fabric.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Well, so far I have tried two, one was a solid fabric way too dark in color, that has to go back. Then I had a pair of textured sheers in a white, (they were on their way to Goodwill) so I thought I will dye them, I tried coffee dye first, didn't work, so then I tried a light wine color. Well, they came out way pink (even washed them several times) so now Goodwill gets pink curtians instead of white. Still looking for the right color without spending a fortune. Buying them is cheaper than getting material and making them.
Ah, another journey to travel.
Bed sheets make great curtains. 2 twin or 2 queen, depending on the width of your closet should do it. Except for sewing a casing, the rest is already hemmed. In the process of sewing the casing, you can shorten the sheet if needed. Lots of colors & designs to choose from & depending on where you buy them, cheaper than buying equal amount of fabric.
Or perhaps add a flounce across the top with some quilty fabric and create your rod pocket.

You might want to hang it with the metal ring hooks or drapery cooks ... would slide easier along the way when you want to get it out of the way!!

Maybe match it up with your window curtains, if you have one in the sewing area?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:15 PM

[quote=QuiltnCowgirl]
Except, I can't find single sheets, every store near me only offers sets.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

Thrift store?
Garage Sale?

How about a visit to your stash ... and sew a bunch of FQs together! :)
Old 05-15-2011, 02:23 PM

[quote=chickadeee55]
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Except, I can't find single sheets, every store near me only offers sets.
Thats why I love thrift stores.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Personally I like to look at my fabric. Makes me feel secure
Old 05-15-2011, 03:56 PM

YUP sure do. And it always looks so much better. No way I can keep the shelves super neat. Curtain adds color, and looks good. Used the same fabric to make valances for the 2 windows in the sewiing room too.
Julie
Old 05-15-2011, 05:11 PM

How about Grommets so you can easily slide the curtained area?