SHELVES IN SEWING ROOM

Old 05-15-2011, 05:15 PM

I converted a double closet into my quilt cupboard. Took doors down and added shelvers and everything. Then hung a curtain in front ... with rings that slide easily on metal rod. I love it. Every so often I change out the curtain. Sheets work really well for this too.... Walmart and Target sometimes Penneys have sheets that are not in sets.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:17 PM

[quote=chickadeee55]
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by chickadeee55
Bed sheets make great curtains. 2 twin or 2 queen, depending on the width of your closet should do it. Except for sewing a casing, the rest is already hemmed. In the process of sewing the casing, you can shorten the sheet if needed. Lots of colors & designs to choose from & depending on where you buy them, cheaper than buying equal amount of fabric.
Except, I can't find single sheets, every store near me only offers sets.
Then buy a set a size bigger and just cut up the corners on the fitted sheet. Not that hard to do.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:24 PM

I have a curtain that I bought at a yard sale in front of the fabric in my shelves.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:34 PM

Depending on total width of your shelves, you could do what I did to mine ... I used those 3m hooks that can be removed without surface harm to the top of my shelves at the intervals of the gormets in my hanging design wall. Has worked great for me. Also protects what's behind from any starch overspray, as my ironing board is in front of the shelving.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:06 PM

Marilynn I always find single flat sheets available at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Home Goods & Ross. I have mixed and matched top & bottom sheets for my kids for years! Good luck!
quote=chickadeee55] Bed sheets make great curtains. 2 twin or 2 queen, depending on the width of your closet should do it. Except for sewing a casing, the rest is already hemmed. In the process of sewing the casing, you can shorten the sheet if needed. Lots of colors & designs to choose from & depending on where you buy them, cheaper than buying equal amount of fabric.[/quote]

Except, I can't find single sheets, every store near me only offers sets.[/quote]
Old 05-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Banned

I had curtains once..and only once...wait until you are trying to audition that PERFECT fabric while trying to hold that curtain back..or putting things away while trying to hold the curtain...

I had them on rings, but they never slid right...

I like looking at the colors now, so NO curtain to get in the way...
Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 PM

I reuse the fabric shower curtain liners and tension rods. Only problem they came down over a year ago and I haven't put them back up. Curtains are white, shelves are white.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:14 AM

I don't have a design wall, so I had hubby put cup hooks with clothespins on the edge of the top shelf. I hang my partially sewn projects so I get to see as rows come together, and it covers the stacks on the shelves. I can also hang whole fabrics to see what works together.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews
I think curtains would not only look nice, but would protect your fabric from light and dust.
Ditto! I keep my stash in guest room and it is kept closed so cats don't get in there. (in case a guest is allergic) I keep blinds closed too. So very little light and almost no dust.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:02 AM

I use two of my lap size UFO's as covers for my open bookcases. it keeps dust out too! Plus I can look at the top and enjoy it even though I have not finished it.