Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
She's 13... it's gonna be a long 7 years... help? >

She's 13... it's gonna be a long 7 years... help?

She's 13... it's gonna be a long 7 years... help?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by KarylMc
Another real quick bit of advice that worked for us...And my Mom did this with me, too..
There are things that your daughter will be asked to attend or places/people she may not want to be around.
I always let myself be the 'Fall Guy" for her...She always knew she could say "My Mom won't let me go" (even if I didn't know about it!) She could stay in control of her actions and blame it on ME!
Sometimes, she'd come home from school and tell me she'd used me as an excuse NOT to go or do something she didn't want to do.
Kids really do WANT to do the right thing...
Me, too. I told her I don't care if you blame me for something. Just tell me when you do, so I can back up your story!

(Same with DH, LOL!)
Old 09-24-2010, 05:03 AM

I have 3 daughters so I can understand totally! They do grow up and the best part is they have children of their own. I am enjoying watching my kids go through the preteen years with their kids. it's a mom's revenge....
Old 09-24-2010, 05:06 AM

Here is a great website for her to look at (with you maybe?) to see how guys look at girls from a modesty perspective. Maybe it will show her what she needs/wants to know? I am so thankful we stuck to our parental guns with all three of our daughters - one, to this day, is fighting the modesty issue, another, usually dresses modestly and the third is always modest. When she's old enough to understand that you did it for her own well being she'll thank you - ours have! :)
http://www.therebelution.com/modestysurvey/browse
Old 09-24-2010, 05:10 AM

This too shall pass.....and once they do go off to college, it's amazing how smart WE suddenly become! Maybe we weren't so "stupid" after all.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:13 AM

I am so fortunate. This stage only lasted about 6 months with my daughter then one day she woke up and was her old sunny self again. Now that she is married and has a 13 yo son, we are the best of friends and she tells me often that I should have ripped out her tongue back then!!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:27 AM

I have to agree with Rebecca, if the clothing is offensive to you donate it to Goodwill or Salvation Army. If she's used her own money to purchase something offensive, donate it anyway and replace it (two for one) with something less offensive. Eventually she will realize that she's wasting her money and her wardrobe is dwindling. DON'T give in, be consistant. My step children know and will even tell their friends: Mom's house, Mom's rules. Don't break them. They've driven down from Michigan to visit and brought friends. They always tell their friends what the rules are and to bring some very conservative clothing. No cleavage, no butt crack showing here. I've given out belts and big T's and insisted that they be worn in my home to cover what I feel is offensive.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:28 AM

Drinking might help.

When my daughter was like that, I told her she could pick out her own clothes, but it was MY determination whether she left the house. Somehow, we made it thru it. I wouldn't be in your shoes again for anything.

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:31 AM

I'm the mother of 17 year old twin girls. You have to pick and choose your battles. Set the rules and stick to them. It will make life for both of you a lot easier. She will try to push you buttons for awhile, but she will come to realize you won't back down. There will be mornings you have to send her back to her room to change, or to the bathroom to wash her face, but it will even out in the long run. We went through the Goth stage in middle school, this too shall pass. Now, the girls tell me about the sluts in school. They still push my buttons sometimes, but for the most part, they follow the rules. One loves make up and dressing up, the other is a tom boy and has to be talked into make up for Sr. pictures. Stick to your guns, you will win her over in the long run.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:32 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by thismomquilts
Here is a great website for her to look at (with you maybe?) to see how guys look at girls from a modesty perspective. Maybe it will show her what she needs/wants to know? I am so thankful we stuck to our parental guns with all three of our daughters - one, to this day, is fighting the modesty issue, another, usually dresses modestly and the third is always modest. When she's old enough to understand that you did it for her own well being she'll thank you - ours have! :)
http://www.therebelution.com/modestysurvey/browse
That's a REALLY interesting link... thank you! I think the info there will help her to see the "big picture", aka, life beyond school.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:39 AM

Every child is different but i raised 2 teenage girls. Since early on i raised my kids with a choice. Kids can reason as early as 2. Tell them the rules, if you do this then this will happen,,, and follow through with the punishment!!! Dont give in or let them off the hook. You have raised them with your morals and values now its time for them to try to use them wisely. Telling them straight out NO always means " Im gunna do it anyway". But give them a choice and they tend to think twice. Remember this is the time they break the apron strings. Im glad not only was I their Mom but their friend. They are 29 n 28 now and still come to me 1st before i find out elsewhere lol i trained them good.

I used to agrue with my kids and realized they were winning! I stopped arguing and said just do as i say end of story im not listening anymore you knew what would happen,,, its happened now you deal with your choice.Then they stopped fighting it was peaceful again. Just keep the upper hand dont let them get it or u lose in the end and they go wild.

I ruled what my kids wore. Example.......when they were growing up baggy pants were the rage. I said you can have them as baggy as u like BUT if i can pull them off you, you cant have them. No butt crack allowed. No shirts above the belly button. no skirts that if you sit i can see your undies. LOL My kids hated me then but love me now for it. When they said "I hate you Mom" i replied easily with "Then im doing my job right"

I wish you the best. Just remember what all you have taught her. She may look 18 but she wont be able to act it, yet. You cant change how others see her just how she handles it firsthand.