Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
She's 13... it's gonna be a long 7 years... help? >

She's 13... it's gonna be a long 7 years... help?

She's 13... it's gonna be a long 7 years... help?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:51 AM

Our granddaughter (17), whom we're raising, knows that she's not allowed to wear makeup except to dances, and no revealing or tight clothes. It hasn't been a problem. Sorry I can't help with your problem.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

The Good Lord played a nasty trick on my Mom. He gave me 3 boys!! ( Someday I hope you have a daughter just like you!)
We still laugh about it now that we are both older :)
I learned a lot from my boys though. TRY not to get suckered in to their tantrums etc. Be firm and walk away. Of course, they would follow me but I had to stick to my guns.
They are now 3 wonderful men and who knows if I had anything to do with it but I'm sure I had somewhat of an influence :)
Hang in there Mom!!!!!!!!!! HUGS
PS. The more you yell, the less they listen. That goes for everyone!! Calm calm calm.............. much harder than it sounds of course!!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:10 AM

Teens ahhh teens. If you bring them up having respect for you and themselves and others they will continue that even while they are searching for theirselves. Our girl is now 24 and never gave us any sass. She is very intuative , saw others for what they were, made good choices throughout her life. Steered herself away from bad situations and never regreted her choices throughout HS and College and now intothe working world.
oneother thing we did was tell her we love her several times aday. She always responded with I love you too. So many kids have never heard that as she finds out in her job. So now she is giving back working with wayward teens. good luck all the turmoil will pass and she will "return" love will always be there!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:16 AM

Lots of good advice on here!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:33 AM

Hang in there! When my DD was 13, I was sure I would murder her before the year was out! That was 1970! We made it and she's 53 now. I only had mini skirts and clunky platform shoes and the beginning of loud music to put up with. I nearly bit my tongue through many times while trying to control my temper! When I sat down to talk things over, I felt like I was talking to a fence post. It will get better. 13 is the worst year, at least it was for us.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:33 AM

OMG!! I am so glad that I am not raising a teenager now!. It drives me nuts seeing boys with the crack showing or the underwear. I hate seeing young girls with skirts barely covering the butt or the boobs hanging out, or the belly showing right above the waistband. I can understand a scoop neck top, I can handle tight pants, and even short skirts and shorts, but what I can't understand is why the parents are letting their daughters wear the extrems of all that. I'm 71 years old, and yet I can remember laying on the floor to be able to zip my jeans, I wanted them that tight. Didn"t have much boob to show off,LOL I think all teen girls want to look what they think is sexy, sort of a growing up thing, but it seems to me that a lot of Moms actually encourage this,starting when they are little girls. Have you seen some of the clothing the elementary age girls wear? It makes me sick! And then they wonder why things happen. I sort of controled the make-up and dress issue until my daughter was in highschool, hoping that by then she would make wise choises. Normally she did, but, once in awhile her dad sent her back to change something( he was more strict than I.) My daughter and I laugh at the issues make-up caused in JR.HIgh. Lord, the frosted blue eye shadow and the mascara she thought she had to have!! I wouldn"T let her leave for school with it on, and thought my little girl was doing what I said, until the day she got sick at school and I had to pick her up. Caught!!!LOL Plenty of grounding for that one, but we also worked out , together, what was going to be allowed. We went together and I showed her what I would allow her to wear, and how much of it. Then she applied hers the way she was wearing it and looked in the mirror, then she did the same with and how I suggested. My daughter has beautiful eyes, with no make up, and even she agreed mom was right on that one! Just remember, this too shall pass!!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:37 AM

I had boys, but my standard response to argument was, "I'm the mom...I don't have to argue with you and I choose not to...either do what I said or go to your room." If they chose going to their room, there were consequences for that too, if it meant they weren't mowing the lawn like they were supposed to (for example). I'd go mow the lawn myself, which they thought was way cool...until I told them that I couldn't take them to town to go to the movies because I had my own work to do after I did theirs.

Clothing is an easy issue in my mind. Don't allow her to own what you feel is not age appropriate. Tell her that if you catch her wearing something in public that you haven't approved of, you WILL make a scene and you don't care which of her friends is watching. (A "scene" can be as simple as "Get in the car"....if her friends are watching, she'll be mortified, but she won't do it again!)

As for makeup...find a young cosmetologist and take her in for a makeup session....Macy's comes to mind...they have the young women there that will apply makeup...of course they're selling expensive stuff, but she's more likely to listen to a younger/older "girl" than she is her mother when it comes to what's what with makeup...
Old 09-24-2010, 06:40 AM

put her in the deep freezer till she turns 21 she should have grown out of it by then,
LOL JUST KIDDING, I think it is harder now than when my children were growing up. they are taught from an early age to be independent and they do not have the skills to be so they also have more pier pressure now with this new found independace, it is such a shame I feel for parents of today, it was bad enough when mine were growing up.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

I think the make-up tips given to you are good. As a boy mom that wasn't an issue. But my SIL had only brothers and she never learned how to apply make-up without looking like a hooker. Even now she does. It's just awful! A mask, not an enhancement.
My Mom was strict about make-up also but I had an older sister to help me.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Oh gee....it really won't get any better. And, once they are old enough, they DO move out, but they DO sometimes come back. lol
I have friends that told their kids they could stay home as long as they wanted but once they move out they couldn't come back. One was 30 and the other was 33 when they finally left home. Watch what you tell them!