Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Should shed color match the house? >

Should shed color match the house?

Should shed color match the house?

Old 04-22-2013, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Unless you invest in a lot of KILZ, I would leave it. When the sun is out the shed may look orange or melon colored.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I think when it matches the house, it gives the entire yard a nicer look. Tell hubby, you will bake him a batch of brownies if he bows down to your request.
That's a lot of work - I think you need to come up with something more than brownies!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:09 AM

When I painted my house yellow down in Florida, I added a red front and back door, painted my clay flower pots red too to add to the front porch. It was just enough accent to add to what could have been a small older style home.............at least for me. I noticed later other homes were getting painted the same color scheme. This was out of my comfort zone too.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 AM

As a retired painter and I also had the same difference of opinion with my DH -PAINT the shed-otherwise it will drive you crazier then a crooked picture. As a rule out buildings should match the house. Covering that awful red won't be as bad as some would think. The paint stores will tint the primer to make it easier. I prefer Zinnsver but Kilz is also a good product. Take a sample of the yellow with you and they will know how much to tint it - Prime the whole trim and all covering yellow with white paint is so much easier -Go see SherwinWilliams
Old 04-22-2013, 08:03 AM

I painted our shed to match the house.......much better.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Count me in - Red Barn.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

if it doesn't need painted don't waste the $$ or effort
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 AM
pal

I would prefer it the same color as the house, especially as the house is yellow. However, after 48 years of marriage, I have learned to pick my battles. I would love it yellow, but I'd settle for red and learn to like it!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 AM

We had almost that same situation.

When we bought the house, the wood trim ( not window and door frames) on the house was painted that "fence red" (with tri colored 1970s brick!?!?!), as was the fence, and the 10x16 shed (with dark brown trim, yet). I'm not a fan of the color, and I think as it fades it gets worse. Also, the darker colors absorb the heat and fade the paint faster, and I think they age the wood faster.

Fast forward 5 years. Yes, I lived with it for 5 years, despite hating the color, because DH doesn't mind it. I painted the wood trim on the house a nice neutral beige, then we put in a garage. I got to pick the siding color. Bisque. A beige of sorts. The company that put our garage package together said it was the most popular color they sold. I mentioned to DH at that point that we might need to paint the shed at that point too, because the red would just not go anymore. He still didn't want to do it. Fast forward another 2 years. We did all the window trim on the house and redid the garage trim - nice clean white. DH starts eyeballing the shed. Finally comes to me and says.... "it doesn't go, does it?" I wasted no time getting the stain! I wasn't waiting for him to change his mind again.

Two coats of primer, done in a day, and the shed was white. 2 coats of stain (I think it said 4 hours apart on the can) the next day and the shed was Beige with White trim. It's a weekend job.

Now I just have to get that fence done. Coincidentally, it needs to be replaced this year... I'll by the stain and have it in the garage before he can decide he wants it the same color. It took me almost 8 years, but I'll get the yard looking the way it should.

I vote the same color as the house. It unifies the yard.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 04-22-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

Leave it red......