Smooth Top Stove Update

Old 04-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

A scraper with a razor blade came with my new smoothtop and in the manual it says to scrap off all burnt on food first with the razor scrapper before cleaning.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:28 PM

My son just had a new top installed to replace one that had melted because of a hot empty pan left on it. No, he didnt do it! He just moved into a new house, and after the place had been inspected, the former owners had let that happen. I didn't know that could happen!! Anyway, that guy told him to get some paste wax, apply and polish, about three coats and it would keep it like new. Seems to me the wax would melt!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:29 PM

I just use Soft Scrub on mine, clean and rub dry. Workdks for me!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:22 AM

To get the majority off, I use to (when I had a ceramic top) wet a paper towel with ammonia. Let it lie on top of the burnt area along with a piece of saran wrap over it to prevent drying. I usually left it on over night. Less elbow grease, less work. This also works in the oven. For the racks, put them in a garbage bag along with a cup of ammonia and let sit over night. Wipe off in morning. When I was in the Navy this was the easiest and cheapest way to clean.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:30 AM

I have had a smooth top for 16 years. I can't tell you how many times I have used a razor blade to get things off.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:03 PM

I use the razor but first I let the top cool before doing anything. Then I wipe it all up, the razor is my last resort. But to prevent the spills from burning, as soon as I notice a spillover, I turn off the burner and move the pot to another one of equal size. My thinking is that if it doesn't continue to burn on it will clean better. So far so good. I wipe my stove everytime I do dishes, wipe up spills when they happen and every couple weeks do the scraping thing. My stove is two years old and even after my husband does his cooking it still looks like new.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM

You can get a holder for the single edge blades from the local hardware store. Just make sure you hide it from hubby so it doesn't end up in his workshop!!! LOL

Patti
Old 04-23-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by RJ
my glasstop stove came with a razor in a holder--like a paint
scraper for windows. That is what I have used for 10 years on mine and it looks like new.
I figured if the manufacturer included one and recommended it, that it must be the way to go.

I have really burned some icky stuff over the years and I am sure it would have not come off without my razor
Same here. As long as you keep the blade slanted I don't think it will scratch. It is the same method as scraping paint splotches off windows after you paint. If you don't have any of the cleaning solution (I found it at Wal-mart with the dish detergents. It has a bottle of solution and a blade.) make a baking soda paste, put the paste on the the spot and start scraping. Most of the time you won't need the solution or a paste. If your fearful, practice on the edges away from your burners until you get your courage.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:10 PM

About 14 years ago I bought my first smoothtop and the salesman told me to use the razor blade to get off the hard stuff too. It really makes clean up a lot quicker.[quote=BellaBoo]A scraper with a razor blade came with my new smoothtop and in the manual it says to scrap off all burnt on food first with the razor scrapper before cleaning.[/quote)
Old 04-23-2010, 06:45 PM

I'm thinking about getting a smooth top stove in the near future. How are they and does everyone like them? I like to have some input before I make a large purchase.