Smooth Top Stove Update

Old 04-23-2010, 06:59 PM

I bought one for my last house. New house, no appliances. I loved it!!! Sadly, it stayed with the house when I sold it. When we redo this kitchen I would like to get another one.

Patti
Old 04-23-2010, 07:10 PM

I like the smooth tops because I am prone to let pots boil over and this is a lot easier to clean. And I don't have to deal with those pesky "burner trays". I hated cleaning under those electric burners.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by kayquilt
I like the smooth tops because I am prone to let pots boil over and this is a lot easier to clean. And I don't have to deal with those pesky "burner trays". I hated cleaning under those electric burners.
that was partly why I went with the smooth top too. They really do look nice once you clean up your spills...which are much easier to clean.

One suggestion I would give...if offered extra warranty beyond what comes with the unit, take it!!!! My top had a factory flaw, which you couldn't see, and it cracked for no apparent reason....about a week after the original warranty would have expired. Price of a new top? $350.00!!!! That was about 10 years ago, so likely a bit more now. :( It was replaced for no cost to me.

Patti
Old 04-24-2010, 02:42 PM

A company named Weiman makes a pink scrubbing pad and also a Glass Cook Top cleaner. I have also used Cerama Bryte and never had any trouble cleaning my stove top. Its 3 1/2 years old. They are available at your local Wal Mart!!

Joyce Van
Old 04-24-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lois-nounoe
I'm thinking about getting a smooth top stove in the near future. How are they and does everyone like them? I like to have some input before I make a large purchase.
I would highly recommend them. I have been using smooth top for 10 years and love it.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:31 PM

I fell in love with and bought a new set of pots and pans. When I was unpacking and washing them I stopped to read the package insert and found out I couldn't use them on my glass cooktop. It said if they got too hot they would fuse to the surface and there is no way to get them off. So now I check the labels before I buy to make sure they are compatible with my cooktop. Expensive lesson learned but not as expensive as replacing the stove.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Google Goddess

glad you got it off

Craftybear

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I am so grateful to the people who suggested that I use a razor blade to get the black spots off my white smooth top cooking range. I cleaned first as good as I could and then used a single edge razor blade and it took every spot off! It looks like new. I was afraid it might scratch the top, but it didn't!

Thanks to everyone!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:13 PM

My son and his wife bought a glass top stove and someone they knew put a plastic bowl on it to heat some chile! Needless to say the bowl melted and before it cooled down she poured water on it!! The top cracked and son didn't have a warantee. It cost them $400 to replace the top. That was about 5 years ago it think. However "most" people wouldn't be that dumb!!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Banned

we were told that about fifteen yrs ago. God bless. Penny
Old 04-25-2010, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by johnette
I fell in love with and bought a new set of pots and pans. When I was unpacking and washing them I stopped to read the package insert and found out I couldn't use them on my glass cooktop. It said if they got too hot they would fuse to the surface and there is no way to get them off. So now I check the labels before I buy to make sure they are compatible with my cooktop. Expensive lesson learned but not as expensive as replacing the stove.
johnette...you are so right!!! Another excellent thing to remember if you have a smooth cook-top. When I bought mine, I was told that I needed to have flat bottom pots and pans. It's amazing how many pots come with a slight curve to the bottom!!!