Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
So I think I want a kindle. What is your experience thoughts? >

So I think I want a kindle. What is your experience thoughts?

So I think I want a kindle. What is your experience thoughts?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:39 AM

I've been contemplating getting a Kindle and after reading all the positive comments on this board, I'm convinced! In today's mail I received a flyer for sales beginning tomorrow and the Kindle is on sale at Target for $139. I'm headed out there tomorrow!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:00 AM

The Kindle has antiglare screen. You do not have to worry about it filling up. Once you have read a book you just delete it from the Kindle. It will remain in your account at Amazon so if you decide to read it again you just download it again. When you purchase a book from Amazon it is downloaded almost immediately. You can either purchase from your computer or direct from your Kindle.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:49 AM

i have an omnia II phone. it does a good job on most ebooks. i couldn't be with out it. there are so many sites that offer free ebooks and low cost ones. i have probably 1000 books now, most free. there is a free program you can download called calibre that will allow you to change a ebook from one format to another. it handles most book formats. very helpful.

i just like mine cause its my phone also and internet. so just one thing to keep up with instead of several. my son has the droid and likes it for his books also. i just got the omnia because it uses windows operating system.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:57 AM

I bought one for mom for Christmas and she loves it. She takes a lot of trips and was always packing several books that took up a bunch of her airline weight limit. Now she carries the Kindle in her purse and has all the books she could want. I have an IPad which I love and I found the Kindle app for it. Now when I buy books I can down load on my IPad and her Kindle, only pay once. It's great, she gets all the books she can read and it not cost her anything. It's great we both like the same books, authors. I get a lot for free and many for .99.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

I bought Kindles for Christmas presents for the adults in the family. They love them, even the ones that told me they probably wouldn't use it. They do and tell me how much they love it. If you don't have wi fi in your house you will need the $189 one. It will be worth it.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:42 PM

I was planning to order one for my hubby for Christmas, and the more I thought about it, I decided that I would help him out with his shopping and order myself one also. We both love them, but there are some negatives, like if I download a book that he would like to read also we have to switch Kindles. They say you can "loan" books, but so far I haven't found that to be accurate. But, for convenience it's the best. If you get one, just think you will be able to store more fabric because you won't be storing books!!! Win...win!!
Old 02-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

The sharing of books is for two weeks on another Kindle then it goes back to your account. I don't think it's available right now but it should be soon.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:48 PM

I have the nook luv it I am going to give it to my son so I can the nook color I luv my nook
Old 02-12-2011, 12:52 PM

I got one & down loaded some books and news paper, I sent mine back, I wanted color, especially for quilting and sewing, it was ok for reading books without illustrations. my husband didn't like to read the newspaper.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:57 PM
TJB

I received one for my birthday last year and I already have over 50 books on it and I just love it. It is really great when you have a Dr. appt. and have to wait. I take mine with me all the time because you never know when you will spend time waiting. :thumbup:
tjb