Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
So who is working on their gardens? >

So who is working on their gardens?

So who is working on their gardens?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:27 PM

I am sooooooooooooo tempted BUT Springtime in the Carolina's is so dang fickle. It was 85* today but could be snowing by Sunday. Our last frost date is April 20th. Everytime I've planted before that, I've lost everything to a heavy frost.

I'm already drooling for REAL 'maters!!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 PM

Last week I planted potatoes, peas, tomato seeds;carrots. I might be tempting fate; but just maybe I will get some early crops. Seeds are cheap. Good to see you back on , Billy.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:14 AM

I no longer have a space for a garden, but I will be your cheerleader! I love fresh food from the garden, and love working in the garden. There is no other place I feel closer to my creator.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:37 AM
Banned

Oh you guys are making me hungry!!!!

We planted our tomatoes earlier this week and we are going to have several types including the grape tomatoes. You are so right they are so yummy to snack on when you are bopping around the house. I know I will be having okra, leaf lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and big herb selection in the flower boxes on my studio, corn, squash, eggplant, carrots and radishes. I know we will have a larger variety but that is what I know for sure in my yard.

Oh and we are taking a risk planting this early because I have seen the heavy frost come in early april but with the temps in the 80's I do not think we will have an issue.

Billy
Old 03-30-2012, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

since it was 28 degrees on my way to work this morning & they are forcasting snow---ugly weather for the weekend- i don't think there will be much garden/yard work going on in my neck of the woods this weekend.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:40 AM

Started seeds inside a few weeks ago. Hoping to get the garden tilled next week and add compost. Some of my seeds didn't germinate so I guess I don't have a green thumb for inside or out but I keep trying. Hate the work - love the results.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:48 AM

Sunflowers of course!!! and lots of herbs ! I also grow several varieties of tomatoes which I fight the squirrels to get my share ... and peppers, eggplant and zucchini. Planted spinach a couple of weeks ago so I can have fresh spinach salad by Easter. It's been a really, really early spring in northern Missouri but have been leary of planting summer crops yet .... I know there's another snow or heavy frost just around the corner.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 AM

wow, this summer, I am planning on a huge (for me, at least) garden. I have four 4x16' raised beds in a fenced area. I have started some seeds already, including padron peppers, three kinds of tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, cucumber, and so much more (CRAFT disease striking). I also have beds outside the fence for zucchini, pumpkin, luffa gourd (first time this year), asparagus, garlic, onions, horseradish. And several herb beds with valerian, elecampane, catmint, bee balm, echinacea, motherwort, and wormwood. Plus berries--gooseberries, black raspberries, currants, blueberries. Lucky me, I have 11 days left at work and will have all summer to play with my plants!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 AM

No room for a real garden in my brothers back yard but I am slowly getting plants in the front and in pots on the back deck.
Last year I planted 4 butterfly bushes and 2 lilacs along the side front fence. And my lilacs have flowers which looks really funny on a foot high bush. But I also planted bulbs and they looked great. The Azaleas that my brother planted are just budding now. I did get some red geraniums and white petunias in a pot on the front stoop and some herbs in pots on the back and the potted hydrenga is coming back too. Sunday I am planting some moon flower and morning glory seeds in pots on the back deck. I am going to try them in the same pot. :-) I have hyacinth vine seeds too. I am going to plant tomatoes in buckets from Home Depot. Need to get some soil this weekend . I love flowers and growing things I miss having the space to have a real garden that needs a tiller. :-)
Attached Thumbnails 20120330_3.jpg  
Old 03-30-2012, 08:12 AM

I am getting ready to put in veggies here. A few tomatoes is all though, the deer eat everything. I put in Dahila's here and there, they say the deer don't like them and they are soooo pretty. Petunia's next.