Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
So who is working on their gardens? >

So who is working on their gardens?

So who is working on their gardens?

Old 03-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Banned

Default So who is working on their gardens?

Yep its spring time and here in the lovely south we are getting ready for gardening! My neighbor and I are renting a tiller and we are going to have a digging party later this week. Between the both of us we are going to have close to a half an acre worth of garden and we will be growing different things so we can share the bounty when it come in. But right now we are in the middle of planning what we want to have in them.

So here is a question, what would you grow or are you growing in your garden and have you already started planting?

Billy
Old 03-29-2012, 02:48 PM

I quilt doing vegetables and last fall planted a prairie. It is about 1/7th of an acre. Today I planted ferns in the shady end and columbines in the middle.
I wish the gardening didn't make me too sore to quilt.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 PM

It is too early to start here in Michigan (they are calling for a little chance of snow tomorrow am) We always have tomatoes, sweet peppers and Jalepenos, cabbage, zuchinni, butternut squash, beets, carrotts, parsnips, onions, sometimes potatoes and sweet corn. We won't plant until the first part of May. Have fun, there is something about getting dirt under your fingernails that gives you a great outlook on life. Enjoy....
Old 03-29-2012, 03:03 PM

I can not grow a thing. I try flowers every year with no luck. My family calls every new plant I bring home a new victim. I live in a log home with wraparound covered porch and would love to have lots of plants around it. This year I have been making small appliqué flower wall hangings and plan to hang them around the outside of my house so I get flowers that won't die.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:03 PM

Hi Billy. If you are gardening, it seems you are doing much better. I am so happy to hear that. You have been and still are in my prayers.

I used to have a flower garden and a small vegetable garden, but I am not able to stoop and bend anymore. I was successful in growing orka and green beans. Have to buy them now.

Have a great day and good luck with your garden.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:45 PM

It's time to turn the soil and plant here in Virginia but I'm dreading having to hand pull all the weeds in my garden! I love to plant lots of cherry and grape tomatoes. It's nice to have a bunch of different kinds of small tomatoes to snack on. I also plant cucumbers, lots of basil, many herbs and yellow husk it's in the ground cherry family.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:49 PM

I have been tilling this week. I downsized my veg. garden to about 100 feet by 50 feet. I usually grow tomatoes, okra, cabbage, corn, potato, sweet potato, melons, green beans, lettuce, beets, carrots, peas, squash. In the south this is a little late to get started. Most everything should be planted by Good Friday. Guess I better get busy.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:55 PM

My hands and everything else on my body hurts from cleaning out flower & shrub beds at my house as well as 2 neighbors. It is a very early blooming season for us this year. I'm not used to the spring cleaning & gardening starting at the same time.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 PM

I have lettuce, collards, spinach & Brussels sprouts in my Sq Ft gardens. Cauliflower, okra, spaghetti squash, bell peppers & marigolds in seed pots in the greenhouse. Happy to hear you're feeling up to gardening Billy.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 PM

Too cold here still but once everything thaws I hope to have garden boxes built. One for my many bulbs and I'm going to have my first garden! What do u suggest? Nothing the deer will want tho ! They are bigger than me!!