Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
So who is working on their gardens? >

So who is working on their gardens?

So who is working on their gardens?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51 View Post
Yep its spring time and here in the lovely south we are getting ready for gardening! My neighbor and I are renting a tiller and we are going to have a digging party later this week. Between the both of us we are going to have close to a half an acre worth of garden and we will be growing different things so we can share the bounty when it come in. But right now we are in the middle of planning what we want to have in them.

So here is a question, what would you grow or are you growing in your garden and have you already started planting?

Billy
Last week the weather was unusually nice (in the 80's in Michigan in March!!) So, yes, I have tilled my garden twice so far. Also broke sod for the strawberry patch and where the cherry bushes will be planted this spring. I dug up my Rhubarb, and seperated it and planted it in it's new bed. Cleaned out the raspberries, blackberries, asparagus patch and horseradish patch. Trimmed the apple, pear and blueberry trees/bushes.
In my vegetable garden, I will be planting: Tomatoes, pickling cukes, slicing cukes, pie pumpkins, sweet bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, pole beans, wax beans, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, corn, radish, carrots, potatos, butternut and buttercup squash, beets, spinach, eggplant and rutabaga.
In my Herb garden I will be planting: Basil, oregano, Dill, and parsley. There is also Thyme, garlic and chives already established there.

I pretty much grow/raise all my own food.

(P.S. : My gardens are all heirloom varieties)

Last edited by Kazahleenah; 03-30-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: added a PS.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 PM

I planted ferns and Elephant Ear bulbs yesterday...My local nursery said the soil was warm enough to plant them.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 PM

I planned my seeds a week ago inside,they are starting to sprote. Been carrying them outside to be in the sun and then back in the house every evening . We cannt plant outside until Mothers day. They sould be good size plants by then. Our growing season is so short, we have to get a head start by planting our seeds inside here in Colorado. Its alot of work but well worth it.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:09 AM

My bucket garden of tomatoes, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, herbs, lettuce, peppers is well under way.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:23 AM

I am going to plant zinnia seeds! I have moss roses coming up from last year, a bunch of real snarky perennials and then for Mother's Day, my husband always gets me two flats of Impatiens. This year they are going to be red and orange - brighten up the yard!!!!!!! I have a really sweet little greenhouse about 3-1/2' high about 3-1/2' long and about 24" deep. I put it together in the spring of the year. There are two shelves and I put it on the south side of the house, and put in my seeds. I also am going to try to grow some Beefsteak tomatoes. Then I will put my Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving cactus in there and give them the tropical feel in the Minnesota summer!!!!! It has been a fantastic winter, lovely warm spring so far - We usually don't start mowing until May and we will have to start, probably this week sometime. Welcome, warm weather! Edie
Old 03-31-2012, 03:41 AM

OMG, Billy..what a great surprise to read this morning.....you have made my day. So glad to hear that you are up to doing a bit of outside work but don't overdo. We like this Billy!!!

As far a my garden goes, it's only a few hanging plants and a few planters on the deck. Been there, done that!!!!!!!!

Keep up the good work, MaryJane
Old 03-31-2012, 03:51 AM

That sounds like a great idea, sharing the gardening and the produce. We are now in Autumn and decided this autumn/winter I would regenerate my vegetable patch. I bought and then planted wheat, barley, vetch and lupine and will use it as green manure in Spring. I have been watching my little crop poking their heads through the soil and saw som birds on the garden but did 't thing anything of it until I looked this morning and now know how farmers feel when their livelihoods are ruined by natural disasters and pests. these birds had been eating my crops. Was not happy,so my DH put some wire messing over the garden after I replanted more seeds, I am praying that this will keep the birds off! Quilting is easier.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:16 AM

hello all, so glad to see others are planting already too. my husband a I live in Mo. and again this year it has warmed up early. We planted 4 rows of potatoes in the last week of Feb. and they are up and looking good. In march we have planted Lettuce,radishes,,chard,beets,carrots from seeds. We have also put out some cabbage plants,broccoli,cauliflower,beets and onion plants. This is just a start for us for we try to grow a big garden here in Mo. and can or freeze as much as possible to save having to buy from the store. Being retired, it keeps us busy and love the fresh produce. Good Luck to all on your gardens and enjoy. Jan

Last edited by janisspencer; 03-31-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:29 AM

Anyone hear of the potato bags for planting? I have seen them but we will be using plastic bird seed bags this year. You can get more yield for your space by planting in the bags. Roll down, put in dirt, and taters, as the plants grow, you unroll a bit and add more dirt and keep on going till eventually you have a bag of taters. We have never tried them but will be this year because we sure do love them fresh taters in the winter that we know were grown pesticide free and happy. Like to read about some other experiences of using the tater bags. Glad to see you are back Billy, with your health, fresh home grown produce is best for your health plus the exercise. Go for it! p.s. Don't use clear bags or you will have green taters.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:50 AM

We are still cold here. Snow flurries, teasing sun on some days. It was 37 this morning so the fireplace is going.
I have been out pulling weeds in the flowers, the shotweed is here.

I do have a question about potatoes. I put them in already, just like i do every year. Then the plant grows. I start hilling.
Hilling: what does this actually mean?
For me, I put more dirt on making sure none of the potatoes are on the surface.
My potatoe crop will not fill a 5 gallon bucket.

They say this is one of the easiest things to grow. What am I dong wrong? Maybe my dirt is too fancy for them?