Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Socks

Socks

I wear shoes with socks everyday. What is your favorite brand of socks? I usually use the thin trouser socks but would like a soft thicker one, not no show or ankle cut type. Preferably no seams. I have looked online but would like some opinions from those that like their socks.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    My husband and sister both like the diabetic type of socks - one brand is Dr. Scholl.

The thing I don't like about them - they tend to pill - but both DH and DS have commented on how comfortable they are to wear.

I like the no nonsense ankle socks at WM, they stay snug and they are sorta thick but very cushy

I wear Hane's crew socks, and those no show kind around the house. I wear socks usually all day, everyday because I rub Vick's on the soles of my feet. It really works for the coughing spells I get with my Asthma.

Have you thought about the knee high cable socks we all wore as little girls?
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Blog Entries
    I buy all our socks, mine & hubbies from " Foot Smart " great choices, for all kinds of needs. Hubby used to always buy those 12 pack types of tube socks, had never had what I consider decent socks. Now, he thinks about his socks, and loves that he has the best socks for different situations,- boot socks when wearing work boots- no more sliding down problems with wearing boots. Comfortable travel socks, cool socks, warm socks, thin socks, thick cozy socks, support & compression socks, work socks, casual & dress socks- We have them all!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I am very fussy about my socks and like Hue socks.......no seams and not tight at the top.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    My husband and sister both like the diabetic type of socks - one brand is Dr. Scholl.

The thing I don't like about them - they tend to pill - but both DH and DS have commented on how comfortable they are to wear.
    Love the diabetic socks! Mine have never pilled though.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

You'll probably laugh at this, but I wear the socks with the individual toes in them....I have toes that curl under the one next to it, and I get blisters and very sore feet if I wear any other sock with my tennis shoes. I have to buy a size larger shoe, but so what? I'd rather do that than to have feet that hurt!
    my foot
    Name:  MVC-029S.JPG
Views: 1148
Size:  10.7 KB

With sock
    Name:  MVC-030S.JPG
Views: 1179
Size:  22.9 KB
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
    You'll probably laugh at this, but I wear the socks with the individual toes in them....I have toes that curl under the one next to it, and I get blisters and very sore feet if I wear any other sock with my tennis shoes. I have to buy a size larger shoe, but so what? I'd rather do that than to have feet that hurt!
    my foot
    Name:  MVC-029S.JPG
Views: 1148
Size:  10.7 KB

With sock
    Name:  MVC-030S.JPG
Views: 1179
Size:  22.9 KB
    Almost looks like my foot!

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    I buy all our socks, mine & hubbies from " Foot Smart " great choices, for all kinds of needs. Hubby used to always buy those 12 pack types of tube socks, had never had what I consider decent socks. Now, he thinks about his socks, and loves that he has the best socks for different situations,- boot socks when wearing work boots- no more sliding down problems with wearing boots. Comfortable travel socks, cool socks, warm socks, thin socks, thick cozy socks, support & compression socks, work socks, casual & dress socks- We have them all!
    Thanks so much for posting this resource! I wear crew socks with work boots for a particular sport and finding socks that work has become a challenge in most retail stores. This site looks awesome!

I have name brand socks, but my favorite are the Faded Glory socks from Walmart that cost $1.00/pr.

No socks for me....flip flops in house all year long...outside in summer.. Winter- Slip on shoes of any kind with (laugh) knee hi nylons.....oh, winter boots, yuck, then I will put on a pair of socks....whatever's in the sock drawer..nothing special.......

Try Thurlo socks. They have socks for everything. I didn't know they made that variety of socks. They're thick and cushy and best of all... They're made in the USA.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I am still wearing the cuff socks I bought from Mervyn's.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I have a whole dresser drawer full of socks. Thin ones for some shoes, thick ones for other shoes, really thick for boots, dress socks, everyday socks, fuzzy socks for when I'm feeling cold, and brightly colored socks for days when I feel good. I wear the bright ones with my Mary Jane style Crocs. Then I feel just like a little kid again. I love socks!

When I used to wear socks all the time, I liked hanes ankle socks. My feet sweat so I prefer terry socks. Now I have neuropathy real bad, so I live in flip-flops, not a diabetic, been checked for that. In winter, I will wear socks and slippers, but when the neuropathy acts up, sometimes I just have to wear my flip-flops and have cold feet!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I wear black socks for work, I like the Target store brand (can't think of the name offhand though). They make them fairly consistently, so when I buy new ones they mix in with the old ones fine and I don't have to squint at a black sock forever to decide if it's the slightly smaller or slightly thicker version of the sock next to it.

When I'm not at work (and sometimes when I am), I like silly socks. When I need to treat myself I go shopping on sockdreams.com and buy myself something fun, like knee high socks with rockets or sloths on them. You can't see them when I'm wearing them (usually) but I know they're there! I'm also very fond of socks with stripes. I'm built like an elephant, so I LOVE that Sockdreams goes out of their way to label the knee-high socks that fit my wide calves.

Around the house, I'm barefoot all the time unless it's freezing; then I get to bust out my "fuzzy socks" - those extra thick type of socks that are not really meant to be worn with shoes. I usually get a few pair of those for Christmas so I don't worry about wearing them out.

I like the Hanes kids socks that I bought for everyday and the SAS exercise socks that I bought at the SAS store. I have small feet and these socks don't slip and bunch up.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Mine are the thick cushy diabetic socks I got at Walmart. They are so comfortable. I like anything that just slips on. I have one pair of shoes that tie. I have knee his for dress slip ons. I do have some non slip from the hospital. rarely wear those. I can't wear shoes with out socks. My feet sweat and smell awful. I'm ok with flip flops but when my feet get cold, I need my thick ones.

Try Dharma Trading.com

They have bamboo socks that are for dyeing, but they are really the best socks my family and I have ever found. Very soft, good a wicking away moisture and don't hold smells. So you could dye them any color you want but they come in a soft off white which is good too. Really table top dying, in zip lock bags is ever so easy and not expensive to do. Try the procion dyes from Dharma. My family likes the hoodies, t's and socks so much I do up batches every year for Christmas boxes. They are also not expensive at all. I like them better than the cotton ones. Oh yes and they hold up for a long time and even with lots of use, washing and drying and such stay very soft.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

Blog Entries
    Socks are a problem I have big legs, so elastic leaves indentions. I have tried cutting the tops doesn't really help. calla

Blog Entries
    I only wear 100% cotton. I like the ones with a little bit of stretch so they don't droop.
    I like an ankle sock for the summer and a bit higher for the winter. I wear socks about 345 days a year.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Being diabetic, I also always wear socks with shoes. A couple years ago I "discovered" the "Faded Glory" ladies crew socks (I hate the no show ones) that are sold individually for .97 a pair at Walmart. They are nice and soft, not too thick, wear really well, and do not fade. They are cotton with just a little spanex. They do come in limited colors at our Walmart, but the fact that they actually have two sizes is what originally got my attention. For the first time in my life, my big feet don't feel smashed together inside my sock. (My dad used to tell me I should throw away the shoes and wear the boxes...lol!)
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

MADAMEKELLY - When I read your post I broke out laughing. My uncle used to tell me the exact same thing.

Blog Entries
    I wear socks every day. The brand I use is WORLD'S SOFTEST. I think I get them from Women Within. They're about $7 a pair but I've been wearing them for over 5 years and longer. They're thick and cush-y which I need because of knots on the bottom of my feet.
    TwandasMom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast