Speaking of Christmas

Old 12-02-2011, 06:09 PM

Sadiemae, I can almost identify with you. I started crying this week thinking about when I would be a widow. I know I shouldn't anticipate sorrow and should just be so happy I still have my husband alive, but sometimes the knowledge that I won't have him always comes and it makes me so sad. I hope you can cope in whatever way works for you, and that memories can comfort you. And that you can feel God's love close to you when we celebrate this time of remembering the birth of Christ.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Banned

Sadimae,,,please feel free to Pm me and visit online at Christmas!!! Not the same as being there,but maybe it will help you not feel so alone...I know that would be very difficult.Y0u are loved!! Hugs!!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:27 PM

Default Sad at Christmas

Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
I try really hard not to get depressed and sad at Christmas, but it doesn't work. I am very thankful for what I have and very thankful for my furbabies, but it is still really hard to be alone on holidays.
Sadiemae, feel free to PM me when you get sad. The people on this board are all loving, giving people. You have MANY friends!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Power Poster

Thanks so much for thinking of me, I appreciate it so much. It was a long night. I didn't know they were shooting off fireworks in my little town, and my little poodle was a basketcase all night. I am glad it is time for bed.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:42 PM

SadieMae, I am exactly where you are. I have wonderful children, but several live away and the others are busy with their own lives. I cried last night, but today is new day. I finally realized I am no one's primary giftgiver - except the dogs and they don't need anything except love, walks and food. I am getting a small gift for each family member - and that's a large number - 5 children, 4 in law children, 12 grandchildren, 4 in law GC, 7 great GC and seven others. I had to give away my big tree because I couldn't deal with it alone due to health restraints. I will have a small prelit one.

I still manage to enjoy the season and the love of family of friends, but there are still many alone times.

You are wise, RIversong, to make memories while you can.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:28 PM

so sweet. Enjoy life!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:04 AM

Riversong, you can adopt me anytime!! We are not big on gifts. When DH and I got married we decided not to give gifts to each other but to donate to a charity instead.
DH's family was BIG on presents. His brother & SIL would give his parents a TV, parents would give them a TV. We would give gifts of homemade jam, in return we got the $9.99 gift box from Wisconsin Cheeseman. It was very much a case of "tit for tat". I don't have kids but if I did I can't imagine giving them gifts depending on what they gave me. After a few years we quit and all the adults get tribute cards saying a charity gift has been made in their name

DH's ex also was a BIG gift giver, so his kids grew up with that. We gave them gifts while they were small, once they became adults they get a charity donation.

Now there are GK's, we bring a small gift when we go to visit. We are away on Christmas and their birthdays and do not send anything. DH says he would rather see them open the gift. Plus it would get very expensive to mail them all, as some are overseas. But I am sure they all think we are terrible grandparents.

Also, we have told the whole family we do not want gifts for ourselves. We have everything we need. One of DH's sons sends homemade treats. His daughter sometimes sends photos of the GK's. In the words of Peace Pilgrim, "I felt that I could no longer accept more than I need while others in the world have less than they need."

The older I get, the more I am bewildered by the constant striving for money and THINGS.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:37 AM

I love Christmas because I love the decorations and our tree. We enjoy it for at least a month. I could care less about gifts, it is the spirit of the season. In our small community almost everyone decorates their lamp post so to walk around at night it feels like a wonderland. People are outside greeting each other, while most of the rest of the year many never come out. So to me it is a gift of community. On Christmas eve almost everyone sets out and lights luminaries in front of their houses. Of course, there are some people who have these great big blow up things they think are in good taste???
Old 12-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
Riversong, you can adopt me anytime!! We are not big on gifts. When DH and I got married we decided not to give gifts to each other but to donate to a charity instead.
DH's family was BIG on presents. His brother & SIL would give his parents a TV, parents would give them a TV. We would give gifts of homemade jam, in return we got the $9.99 gift box from Wisconsin Cheeseman. It was very much a case of "tit for tat". I don't have kids but if I did I can't imagine giving them gifts depending on what they gave me. After a few years we quit and all the adults get tribute cards saying a charity gift has been made in their name

DH's ex also was a BIG gift giver, so his kids grew up with that. We gave them gifts while they were small, once they became adults they get a charity donation.

Now there are GK's, we bring a small gift when we go to visit. We are away on Christmas and their birthdays and do not send anything. DH says he would rather see them open the gift. Plus it would get very expensive to mail them all, as some are overseas. But I am sure they all think we are terrible grandparents.

Also, we have told the whole family we do not want gifts for ourselves. We have everything we need. One of DH's sons sends homemade treats. His daughter sometimes sends photos of the GK's. In the words of Peace Pilgrim, "I felt that I could no longer accept more than I need while others in the world have less than they need."

The older I get, the more I am bewildered by the constant striving for money and THINGS.
Consider yourself adopted!!! If I have money to pay our bills and eat Im good to go...THINGS are nice,but they arent something I compete for!
Old 12-03-2011, 08:29 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

scaled back here too. the pension doesn't go very far. I made fruits, veggies, cakes, pizzas, pastries etc for the 2 lil grands. their mum is getting them a store" so grandma made the wares. It was so much fun. made sets of fabric bowls, a few quilts etc for the older kids. made em a few ornaments and I have been getting nagged about the tree not being up yet. We used to put it up at Thanksgiving. Just seems silly to do it that early now with only 1 daughter at home. But by George we are putting it up today!