Speaking of Christmas

Old 12-03-2011, 08:42 AM

It's not a problem for me & mine. We make wish lists with stuff that's not expensive & we want. I tend to make gifts, mostly for people who appreciate it. It's all good.

I just don't stress out about it.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:49 AM

Default Speaking of Christmas

I have lived in the Middle East for the past 18 years, and the first few years were so very sad for me... no Christmas eve church service, no visits with my parents, no turkey on the dining table. But when my children came along, I felt the need to create some little traditions, and that is really the only important thing to us. WE make the decisions about how much or how little celebrating we do. It makes it very special. AND we aren't bombarded by Christmas music everywhere we turn! Woohoo!
Old 12-03-2011, 10:05 AM

No matter what your personal reason for the season is I just love the holidays because it is the spirit of the holidays that is fun. The decorations are festive and people forget their everyday issues and focus on giving and doing for others. That isn't about gifts, it is a reminder that there are other things outside of ourselves that are important. It is a time for awareness. Each year we look at what extra we might have and then divide it 4 ways so that each of us has a giving opportunity. Some years it is only 10.00 each and then there was the 100.00 year. We went to Toys R Us and each of us had 100.00 that we spent on toys and then donated to Toys for Tots. I think DH was a bigger kid than any of us. He really took sales to heart and made his money go far including two bikes. I was really proud of the kids. They looked for gifts for all ages and made their money go far. The manager of the store was so impressed with them that he gave them each 10% off and that made their money go even farther. Sometimes we have not had any extra but we always figure that each of us can eat a little less and share a little more and make sure that friends or neighbors that are alone have a dinner invitation.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by babindg12200 View Post
What if you don't have family nearby? All my family live very far away. So I can understand when people say it's a sad time for them.
I feel the same way. I don't even want to decorate for Xmas. I just think of all the stuff I would have to take down. LOL We are going to have a very very small tree this year. Nothing special. Bah Humbug!
A few years ago I felt like you due to some unresolved family problems. On Christmas Eve DH and I took a trip into the city, walked around and admired the decorations, stop in at St. Patrick's to say a prayer and ended up in Branyt Park watching the ice skaters and enjoying a free cup of coffee. What a refreshing day it was for me, I felt like I was in a Christmas movie. You may not live near a big city but maybe there is a church or library putting on a Christmas show for free or a small donation that you could attend. One day this month I going to the Soul Kitchen restaurant that Jon Bon Goivi and his wife started, you eat for free if you can't afford it but we'll be leaving an evelope with a donation - something to Pay It Forward for DH and I. May in Jersey
Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Christmas celebrations can be whatever you want them to be. We have scaled down over the years as the kids and grandkids have gotten older. Gift cards work best noe. Two little Great Granddaughters are easy to buy for. I pretty much spend what I can afford and that works well.
Us too, although we have only one great grand child. Early on I decide how much I can or want to spend for Christmas. Grandkids get gift cards - with 8 granddaughters I have to keep up with the latest favorite shops. I've made apple butter and nieces and nephews are getting a jar, friends will get a jar with a jar of corn bread mix. Things like that put a lot more love into the gifts.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:26 AM

Of all the things I enjoy about Christmas, singing the Christmas hymns in church each Sunday in December is one of my favorites. Christmas Eve candlelight service is another. When I'm driving in the car I hunt for radio stations that are playing old favorite Christmas songs. They bring back such very happy memories and good emotions. I wish all of you God's blessings and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:48 AM

I will sign up tomorrow to be a greeter at the later Christmas Eve service. The joy of the participants is infectious and I come home truly appreciating Christmas. I enjoy the lighting of the Advent candles each week - who doesn't appreciate Hope, Joy, Peace......
Old 12-03-2011, 05:51 PM

Thank you for sharing these words of wisdom. How very true! In all the hustle and bustle and trumped-up jollity, we tend sometimes to forget what Christmas is really all about. For that reason, I do my shopping throughout the year and try to avoid doing any but routine (groceries, etc) shopping during this overcommercialized season. God bless everyone, and have a blessed and peaceful Christmas!
Old 12-03-2011, 08:03 PM

I hope that those of you who are alone, can find a neighbor, a friend or even go to church or a soup kitchen, so that you are not alone. I have a neighbor that we take with us for Christmas, she is the same age as my MIL, and they get along great and she is not alone. We take her shopping and help her run her errands.
Christmas time is suppose to be happy, but I know that is not the case for everyone. Now that I have grandkids, i do a lot better, but there was I time i didn't want to crawl out of bed.
You will be in my prayers and thoughts
God Bless
Old 12-04-2011, 05:07 AM

May the peace of god be with you today and forever more.....god bless and thank you for a story of love.......