Spelling

Old 12-14-2011, 05:07 PM

If English is not the member's language, they use a translator tool. they are typing in their language, sometimes the computer can't find the right wording.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

I just loaded the spell checker (thanks ghostrider for pointing out that it might be available), but I can't get it to engage by pressing the ABC button. I have to go up to tools and select iespell. Does anyone know how to use it from the button?
Old 12-14-2011, 06:05 PM

I'm so sorry for those of us who can't tolerate when people make mistakes in spelling and grammar. I for one use the Google tool bar spell checker. But not everone speaks English and I for one speak HillBilly. I don't have a grammar checker, sorry about that. Please learn to be more Tolerate in 2012. This will be my prayer for the board.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

The main thing is getting the idea across and pictures tell a thousand words English is my husband's second language, he understands it very well, speaks it well (but has a very strong accent), though he has immense problems with writing it. As well as English being a second language for some here, we are a very diverse society, some are disabled and many may not have had access or the means to be literate. Quilting is the first language on this board....the rest, well, we muddle through
Old 12-14-2011, 06:16 PM

Love this line, Quilting is the first language on this board....the rest, well, we muddle through
Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
How do you use the spell checker with this board? I often think of not posting because of my spelling and grammar issues. I have had to leave other sites because of hurtful things said about my grammar / punctuation. As someone mentioned above there may be several reasons why a person has difficulty. I know for some it may be a nails on a chalk board thing to see poor spelling and grammer but seriously I think for the most part people do the best they can.
I sometimes use Internet Explorer as my browser... it doesn't give me spell check. Most of the time, I use Firefox for my browser... It not only gives me spell check, but it allows me to use View/Zoom/Zoom text only and this fits the words to the screen better.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:52 AM

My cats can't spell at all, but they sure like to walk on my keyboard and hit "send!"
Old 12-15-2011, 04:15 AM

If I don't understand the abbreviations in the note, I reply to the sender and ask for the meaning. Most of the time my posts have words left out. I also have a problem with my mind working faster than my fingers when I'm typing an answer to a post or posting a new question.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
There are folks that post from their smart phones too, and the autocorrect will butcher the best of spellings!
How true...My Droid makes me crazy! It does its changes AFTER you hit the "send" button. The message is gone, and there's no chance to fix it.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:13 AM

I can usually decipher ESL speech/writing. The only time I got a bit frustrated was when an English television company put sub-titles under the Australians who were speaking...lol