Story of the Nine Heads

Old 04-07-2011, 03:01 PM

hahahah I bet you thought a horror movie was coming up?
Well, I have finally decided to create and design my own fairy doll. Not that I am going to stop making other designer's dolls, I love them all.

I might post a tut on my blog at a later date, on how to design a doll face.

Anyway, I started with a three inch head, sketched inside a rectangle. After I got it the way I wanted it, I cut it in half and put a profile on one side and tweaked here and there and started to make the first head. I numbered each model and pattern for reference.

A three inch head means that the doll will be 21 inches tall to be anatomically correct, (oh oh, there I go with my correctness hahaha) Anyway, after I made the first head, I traced another pattern from it and make adjustments to it ...bigger nose etc.

When I got to the 5th head, I liked it, it had enough chin etc.but I kept going. I made bigger noses lol and #6 came out too big alltogher....hahahah....my hubby was laughing his A off....

Then I would sculpt and paint the face right away and discovered all sorts of neat things. I got the perfect color for the cheeks, well the color I like and so on....I got the nose down to a science in sculpting etc.....

Anyway here is the result of my experiement

look at that nose, I gave the next model more chin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180751[/ATTACH]

the 9th head magically appeared hahahh
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180971[/ATTACH]

I wonder where th 9th head is? lol. Second row the middly head is the one I like the best.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180972[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-180745.jpe   attachment-180965.jpe   attachment-180966.jpe  
Old 04-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Rosy, as usual they are fabulous! You could post a tute for me the length of a book and I still wouldn't be able to make things like that.
You have to be an artist, like you!! :D:D
Looove seeing your things!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:05 PM

they are adorable . I can't wait to see the rest of the doll. I love fairys!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:06 PM

I love what you do. I hope you do put a tute together for us.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Thank you ladies, I had such fun doing these and My quilting is suffering hahahahaha.....I am a folk artist by one of my trades Sueisa and sewing is my next trade lol. I will finish this project tho. I am taking a class in doll head sculpting from the Austrailian Artist, Susie Macmahon, next week. I am soooo excited and what luck she will be 7 miles from me so all this will help me with doll design....
Old 04-07-2011, 03:57 PM

Wasn't sure what to expect when I opened this post, but I'm delightfully surprised. They're beautiful.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:46 PM

You are so very talented!
Old 04-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

They are so pretty
Old 04-07-2011, 05:17 PM

I love your faces, and would like to see more of your work. Do you have a website that I can check out. Please and Thanks.

I attempted to sculpt a doll head this past January, painted her face, didn't realize that I should have put her hair on before I baked her, therefore I had to get him/her a wig. Before I put hair on him, he resembled a boy, then I rec'd the wig and now looks more like a girl. Put together the body and made her clothes. Of course now, I can see that I should have made her nose somewhat smaller, and she may have looked better....hahaha
my granddaughter doesn't even want her, so she will just sit in my sewing room as a reminder that I'm not really good at this craft and should stick with sewing. Will attach a couple of pictures for your perusal - and I don't blame you if you laugh....thanks for looking and I would appreciate your honest opinion.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-181034.jpe   attachment-181035.jpe  
Old 04-07-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by d.rickman
I love your faces, and would like to see more of your work. Do you have a website that I can check out. Please and Thanks.

I attempted to sculpt a doll head this past January, painted her face, didn't realize that I should have put her hair on before I baked her, therefore I had to get him/her a wig. Before I put hair on him, he resembled a boy, then I rec'd the wig and now looks more like a girl. Put together the body and made her clothes. Of course now, I can see that I should have made her nose somewhat smaller, and she may have looked better....hahaha
my granddaughter doesn't even want her, so she will just sit in my sewing room as a reminder that I'm not really good at this craft and should stick with sewing. Will attach a couple of pictures for your perusal - and I don't blame you if you laugh....thanks for looking and I would appreciate your honest opinion.
I think you did a wonderful job on the sculpting but take the wig off and make her a him. He is delightful and full of energy and character. Dress him as a clown or joker with lots of colors.