Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints? >

Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints?

Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by loriea View Post
I make laundry soap with Fels Naptha bar and Borax and a pail of water.
Would you please share the process? I use Fels for stains, borax in the wash for smelly stuff...
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM

When I lived with my DD we figured out that the space heaters (oil filled ones) were way cheaper than running heat and window units cheaper than central air. The one year she ran her central heat . Electric was over 400 and gas over 300 that was nuts. We cut that by more than half . She had a older 1950's home so not a lot of insulation . We did manage to get a little put in before she lost her job then the house.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 AM

I am in the same boat with you.
I use every scrap I can find, through none way.
I just barely get by.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM

I still work (commute 40 miles one way) so I found a carpool partner who works in my building. We leave at 6am and get off work at 3:30pm. That saves gas since we don't hit the rush hour traffic and we can still use the carpool lanes. I will run my errands on the way home from work to save on gas. I prefer to not eat out, only because I'm afraid of getting all those illnesses I've been hearing about like the flu and such. Got a nasty case of bronchitis right after Christmas and I know it was from eating a hamburger from a fast food place. It can also save on groceries and dr. bills. Do my laundry late at night, not during the busiest time of the day. Drink a lot more water, less sodas. Use less toothpaste, learned to groom my own dog, wash my own car, wait for movies to come to TV instead of going to the movies. My TV has built in cable channels so I only pay for basic service. Cut down on cell phone expenses by monitoring data usage and reduce the plan if feasible. Cut back on eating meat, eat chicken, fish and veggies.

My daughter wanted to learn to make a pair of ruffle pants for her toddler so we just made up our own pattern instead of buying a pattern and used some of my fabric stash. I also knit using only the yarn I have on hand. I make items to sell in a local gift/specialty shop my friend owns so that helps make a little extra money. I haven't bought new clothes or shoes in years. I also take off my 'work uniform' and wear grubbies around the house.

My husband is unemployed and although he is 62 and could draw SS he doesn't want to yet. My 27 yr old daughter and her two little girls also live with me. She is a newly licensed cosmetologist and is building her clientele so she doesn't make enough to live on her own yet. She's a single mom, with no child support coming in, so a lot of our living expenses are from the extra utilities, electricity, water, heat, food, etc. She's starting to take on more of her own expenses, but it is still mostly on me to keep the bills paid.

It does get overwhelming, but I find refuge in knitting and quilting.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:04 AM

Stitch, If your husband waits until he's 67+ to draw SS, how much longer after that does he plan on living? I had to retire at 62 and opted to draw SS rather than going to the hassle of doing a disability. Having lived 10 years after past 62, I am probably making up the amount I gave up by not working until I was 66 to get the full amount. I think there are calculators online on the SS site. I didn't use one because I needed the money. Period.

The jeans I have on today are at least 20 years old and were on sale when my daughter bought them for me.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cactusmomma View Post
I found this depressing and inspiring. I am 70 and hope to retire at 72 but scared to death because I'll be on a very minimal fixed income unless I come up with some way to make a bit of extra cash. Everyone on here had such great ideas. I'm going to start a frugal file on my computer and start keeping tips. I know I waste a lot of money so the next two years will be focused on cutting waaaaaaaaaaay back. I started a quilt stash so that should keep me for a few years as I hand quilt. My biggest expense is eating out and not cooking frugal. I will be working on that. Thank you to those of you who added websites to find frugal ideas. I know the inevitable is coming so hopefully by that time I'll be ready. Everyone on here is great. I'm always bragging to my co-workers that you can learn about anything and everything on here. Love you all.
I work, too - the hardest part is meal prep. When I cook - I try to cook enough for left overs for at least a couple meals. Then there are some quick meals when I need them.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
Would you please share the process? I use Fels for stains, borax in the wash for smelly stuff...
I'm going to do this as well. Laundry soap is expensive. I am on Jillee's mailing list. One good thing by Jilliee and she ALWAYS has good ideas. http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/

You can find out how to do laundry soap, stain removers, etc at her site.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 AM

It's too bad we are scattered all over the country. I knew I wasn't the only one in this sorry situation. In one of the book series I read, 4 old lady friends got together and bought a big old house and revamped it so they each had their own bedroom and bath. Of course you know what they say about more than one woman in the kitchen... LOL .Can you imagine more than one is a Quilting studio on a day to day basis.OH MY!!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by reeskylr View Post
I'm going to do this as well. Laundry soap is expensive. I am on Jillee's mailing list. One good thing by Jilliee and she ALWAYS has good ideas. http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/

You can find out how to do laundry soap, stain removers, etc at her site.
I signed up on her FB page. I saw fabric softener crystals (which I had never heard of ) and again it was timely. I was thinking there has to be a cheaper/better/healthier way to make fabric softener . I usually use the sheets but this sounds ok to me too.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 PM

Krystyna,
So sorry about your loss and wish I could afford to help. Life is going to get tougher I am afraid with our goverment. My husband, 80 has rectal CA, while we have insurance, not sure how it will pay on treatment. And another few years he may not get treatment as it is not cost effective. God Bless you and look after you.