Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints? >

Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints?

Struggle with the economy? Any tips or hints?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 AM

I have not purchased paper towels or napkins in years. I use dish towels and buy them on sale after holidays. I had some beautiful fabric years ago and made napkins and placemats which are still going strong. I use coupons and keep my eye out for meat sales then buy in bulk and separate it out in freezer bags. I make sure not to waste these by leaving them in the freezer to die. We make a big batch of chili and separate that out. I turn left over rice into fried rice and left over mashed potatoes into pancakes the next morning. I make garbage soup one day a week and all of the leftovers (rice, veggies, meat) go into a savory broth. I buy bread in the 1/2 price bin and toast it up and no one knows the difference. I do make my own bread and jams and jellies. Where you don't save by making your own bread, you can save when you make your own jams. I take left over towels and tear them up, hem them on the machine and voila, instant dish towels. I use old towels to clean up messes. I use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning lots of things. I grow my own garden and only plant what we will eat over the year. Tomatoes, potatoes, onions, garlic, cucumbers, jalapenos, spinach and as a special treat, corn. I have taken in donated canning jars and only buy the lids when needed. I try to save wherever and whenever I can but I don't buy the cheapest just to save money now since that usually ends up a mistake. I buy my clothes at the end of the season but only buy "classic" things like jeans and tees without writing on them. I love my sweat shirts and wear them with jeans so I don't look so messy. I have dressed up many a tee shirt to match an occasion. I buy good shoes so they will fit and last a lifetime. These are just things I learned to do while living on a farm in a very rural area. Me, a city girl born and raised! My sister laughs out loud when she hears I am doing all these things. Sometimes I do too!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dragonomine View Post
I'm on disability so working isn't an option for me. I do sell some things on Etsy and Ebay but it doesn't really add up to much. Half of what I earn probably goes to listing fees. lol
My friend says she has had the best luck selling through the gift shop in a large hospital. The turn-over on the gift items is really fast. And the hospitals that have a gift shop just for baby gifts is really great. They are very picky about quality and uniqueness and trendiness.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 AM

My DH planned for our retirement very carefully. We did several major home repairs before we both retired, so hopefully the next major thing is a roof in about 10 years. We are saving for that and a new refrigerator. My fridge is 17 years old so I know the next one will be much more energy efficient.
We saved $75 a month getting rid of cable TV. We put in an antenna, got a Roku box and have Netflix for $9 a month. I watch PBS on the antenna and tv shows on Netflix. The best part is no ads!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
My friend says she has had the best luck selling through the gift shop in a large hospital. The turn-over on the gift items is really fast. And the hospitals that have a gift shop just for baby gifts is really great. They are very picky about quality and uniqueness and trendiness.
That's a great idea!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 AM

Krystyna, I am really sorry to hear that. I really cannot even imagine losing everything that way. I have had to start over numerous times but not from completely nothing.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lynnc View Post
If you get cold in the evenings while watching TV don't turn up the heat, use an electric throw or blanket. It's cheaper to just heat up your legs than a whole room. Maybe even use a heating pad and a blanket. When I'm camping I use a hot water bottle.
I was freezing one day and had an ah ha moment. I got our heating pad, put it on the seat of my chair and put it on low. Warmed me right up, tush especially (LOL), when my hands get too cold it just sit on them for a minute and they heat right up. I think this is great as heating my house is almost impossible. I have a big log cabin, had ductless heat and air put in every room, but OMG if I use them my elect. bill is higher than most mortgages, so I try to do without heat. I have one small room that I closed off and use heat in, moved one of my machines in there and that's where I sew when the rest of the house is freezing. BTW, when just watching tv I am under a quilt with the heating pad and its really toasty. Want to have wood stove put in but no funds for it yet, am saving. And since I live out in the woods fuel is not going to be a problem, just cutting and collecting.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
One way to increase the use of your money is to have more money. Are any of you finding ways to earn some money without actually earning a paycheck? There are many of us who cannot for many reasons take a job again, but perhaps could earn a little from time to time. I have started accepting commissions for paintings. Who else is doing something? I guess I am primarily asking those who are retired already.
I do the local craft shows around the holidays. I sell runners, bags, totes, quilts, rag dolls. I think this year I did 5 of them, cost for space 100.00 total, made about 1200.00. All of what I made at these each year goes to my DGS's tutition. I have had custody of him since he was 6 months old, is now 12. Goes to private christian school. I know I could save sending him to public school, but here they are so terrible and I would rather do without some things and try to stretch it so he gets a good education.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 AM

I make laundry soap with Fels Naptha bar and Borax and a pail of water.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 AM

My 90 year old Mom is obviously on a fixed income. I found that since she was 65, her bank had been charging her monthly banking fees! They have no charge for seniors. I asked them why they did not let he know that....well ummm, she didn't ask. That saved her $96 per year. Then I looked at her electric bill....she was paying way too much per kilowatt hour...changed providers, that alone saved$1800 per year!! Then I looked at all the medications she was taking. Although she had good coverage on her perscriptions, there was still a charge for each one. Switched her to ordering three month supply by mail and saved her $600 per year!Then I looked at her auto and home insurance, changed companies, same coverage and saved her $573 per year. Sit down, look at your bills...then call all of your service providers and ask for best price, best rates and if they have discounts. Most restaurants give senior discounts, just ask. For example, Arby's give seniors free drinks with food purchase. YOU HAVE TO ASK. I also found that alot of service companies, even various delivery companies have senior discounts. YOU HAVE TO ASK. Kroger grocery stores have a senior discount card/key ring tab, rather than a plain discount car/keyring tab. No matter where you shop, always ask for that senior discount. Kroger also has a point system on purchases that gives you up to 30 cents off per gallon of gas...depending on your total build up of purchases over a few months. If you are still working, ask for company discounts on your cell phone bill. If you are shopping for a specific item, check the internet, ask the retailer if they price match. Most large retailers will price match if their competitor has a physical store location. (Walmart does this)
I saved $450 on a sewing machine when I asked for thier best price, and then I would not have to pay tax by ordering on the net....the local dealer reduced their price to match my less tax price on the net.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
I was freezing one day and had an ah ha moment. I got our heating pad, put it on the seat of my chair and put it on low. Warmed me right up, tush especially (LOL), when my hands get too cold it just sit on them for a minute and they heat right up. I think this is great as heating my house is almost impossible. I have a big log cabin, had ductless heat and air put in every room, but OMG if I use them my elect. bill is higher than most mortgages, so I try to do without heat. I have one small room that I closed off and use heat in, moved one of my machines in there and that's where I sew when the rest of the house is freezing. BTW, when just watching tv I am under a quilt with the heating pad and its really toasty. Want to have wood stove put in but no funds for it yet, am saving. And since I live out in the woods fuel is not going to be a problem, just cutting and collecting.
On cold nights I use a heating pad as a foot warmer in bed. Been doing it for years!