Stuff - as in possessions

Old 05-08-2011, 06:08 PM

I'm at this point in my life too. Too many treasures, craft supplies, aka stuff. But I don't like the word or phrase "get rid of it", it makes me think I shouldn't have bought it in the first place. I'd rather bless someone with it whether at a charity or thrift store or garage sale. I found this quote which I hope will help me declutter..."Let go of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful to you." Another way will be to say, "I love it and I'm keeping it, I love it and I use it often, Let go of these... It's useful but I don't love it, It's useful but lacking somehow or I have multiples. The hardest for me is papers, patterns and info that I think I need but still never seem to find it when needed! I'm so ready to simplify. Wish me luck!!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

I am trying to downsize most of my stuff. Just not fun to collect anymore.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:58 PM

I watched the movie director on Oprah that gave up his big house, fancy cars etc. because he didn't need them. I am trying to simplify and I think he is right. Our footprint on this earth should be what we need and not all the things that really don't matter. I am gathering up a little at a time and taking it to Goodwill. I think I will feel freer when I finish. Now this does not include my fabric stash, but I am cleaning that room up also. Less to dust and worry with, the kids will probably throw most of it out when I'm gone any way.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:21 PM

I can't stand extra Stuff. I am minimizing and I feel a weight lifted of me. I don't like antiques very much, unless it is from my own family. I really like having the clutter-free home. I need to get rid of more stuff. I think I will de-stash my fabric some more. Every time I watch a hording show, I have to get rid of more stuff. I would rather spend my time quilting, than dusting stuff.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:52 PM

There sure are lots of responses on this thread. I guess most of us are tired of taking care of more than we need!

Well, I didn't try on clothes today. I did start going through books on the right bookcase in the living room. I have "gifted" about a dozen for Goodwill. Then I tackled a stack of really old history magazines. I tore out a handful of articles and the rest went to be recycled.

I asked DH to review a couple of books from the history shelf and he wants to reread the books. Tomorrow, I will go through the other bookcase next to the fireplace. DH is so good at purging stuff as he goes along. I seem to be the slow learner :-)

What I must realize that much will be accomplished if I keep doing this task regularly :) :) :) Thanks for your support....
Old 05-08-2011, 11:21 PM

I, too, have way to much "stuff", glassware, craft supplies, books, clothes, and fabric. I need to declutter and am beginning to with everything except the fabric. I love fabric and find it hard to part with it until I've "made something" with it.

However, I know that when I'm gone my DD will give it away, throw it away, or sell it in a yard sell. I told her it's OK for everything except the glassware that I'v collected. I want her to keep that for a while to see if she developes an appreciation for it.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:39 AM

I grew up not having much. Then got married in the military, and through countless moves, kept things to a minimum. I have been hoarding and now I find myself uncluttering.

The church here in town collected clothes for a free uard sale, would not even take a donation. YEP, went there, conquered the racks and left there with at least a dozen 100% wool blazers, some clothing for sewing and about a dozen mens ties.

It is the hunt, it is inbred in most of us. Do I wnat to fight it, somedays yes, somedays NO! See ya at the next sale.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:35 AM

I've given rotary cutters, mats, fabric and patterns to ladies who "say they want to quilt". None have even tried to start. I have been given sewing machines, fabric, some by the bolt and any other sewing related stuff.
People who know I have a passion for making quilts for abused kids have given me knits, linen and all other non-quilting facbic. I usually give them a big hug and thank you and then head to the thrift store to donate them for those that need that type of fabric.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:53 AM

As I clean our a cabinet or closet I pack all the unwanted or unneeded 'stuff' and drive it over to Good Will. 56 years ago we moved into a 4 room cape cod house with a small truck and a few cars. Over the years the house has been expanded and filled will furniture, etc. so now that it's just DH and me I'm downsizing a lot.

Giving my oldest granddaughter the silverware I inherited from my MIL, I never use it. My full set of china might be going to another DGD who will be married next year. One DGD received my FIL's old fashion ice cream scoop - she had asked for it when she was a child so I gifted it to her at her bridal shower. Also had the small diamonds in MIL wedding ring turned into small rings for our 6 granddaughters, oldest in each family got a diamond with 2 birthstones, rest of DGDs got a pearl from one of my rings with 2 birthstones. These gifts didn't get much 'stuff' moved out of our house but they are something the girls have as family memories.

A few months ago I cleaned out a closet with clothes I haven't worn in years and out they went along with the gowns I wore to the weddings of my 2 oldest sons, this summer they both will be married 30 years. I know I would never get even one arm or leg into the size I was 30 years ago, LOL!
Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 AM

Many years ago my husband and I received a serving tray and matching bowls in the shape of fish. We were living in an apartment at the time and put the "gift" and other assorted household items in the storage locker. With our luck, someone broke into the locker and removed everything ... you guessed it, except the "fish" bowls. A thief with taste?