Stuff - as in possessions

Old 05-08-2011, 05:15 AM

We have "stuff" that was acquired when family members of DH passed away. They have been moved from one home to another and sat in the basement for the last 6 years. For some unfathomable reason he can't seem to part with them. Our children have no desire to have any of it. We can't use it. It isn't valuable in the sense of having monetary value. I would so love for it to just disappear because when I actually do need something from the basement I have to move or look through this "stuff" to find what I need. I have 4 tables down there that used to belong to his mother. We have 1 table upstairs and never use that. There must be 5 lamps in the basement. When it gets dark enough to need a lamp I turn on the overhead light. I live by the theory that if I haven't used it in a year it needs to go away. Time for a garage sale! Ann in TN
Old 05-08-2011, 07:57 AM

I am trying to cut down on "STUFF"
a car load went to Miracle Hill yesterday.
2 more closets and book shelves to go.

I am tired of moving 4 things to get to
the one that I want.

May try selling some of the "STUFF" on this Board later.

J J
Old 05-08-2011, 08:01 AM

I have lots of craft stuff, and would love to get rid of it, but keep thinking that my baby GD might enjoy using it when she's older. I'd hate to have to repurchase....seems rather wasteful. I also keep thinking, well maybe I'll get time someday to make cards again, or scrpbook again, but I really just want to quilt. What would you do? Suggestions?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 AM

I am NOT a collector of much. Unfortunately, I share a classroom with a teacher who has things strewn all over the walls and counters and tables and shelves and anywhere else she can put things. It is actually a big stressor for me to have all that clutter and stuff surrounding me! Probably why my stash is so small...
Old 05-08-2011, 08:36 AM

Clutter stresses me.
When we were put on an evacuation alert last summer, it surprised me how little I really cared about enough to carry away. Anything else could be replaced.

We live on a rural property that was undeveloped land before we bought it, so every human influence is ours. When we load up the truck for a garbage haul, my husband often looks at it and comments "and to think, we carried all of this stuff ON TO our land and now we have to take it away again."
Old 05-08-2011, 08:55 AM

I seem to be on a never ending quest to pare down and get my own possessions in order. I have collected clothing, books and papers. Right now, I have one wastebasket each for paper to be recylced and items to be shredded. A separate box is always available for donations.

Dad saved everything, having gone through the Great Depression and graduated from high school in 1933. My bio-mother also graduated with him, but passed things on for others to use. My step-mother had extensive teaching supplies and loved to collect things. Then there were the things inherited through the death of family members....

I have helped clean out the apartment of a hoarder, and it is no picnic. I still shudder to think how that person existed and the heartache she had of not knowing what to do with everything from her parents and grandparents.

Yes,I do ask my children to not give me gifts for Christmas and birthdays. Their present to me is keeping in touch with one another and their presence is a gift -- especially when we live so far apart. Skype, Facebook and phone are great:)

With this said, I think I need to try on some summer clothes and see what I want to keep!!!!
Old 05-08-2011, 10:16 AM

I moved from a house to a condo 3 years ago, when I moved I had a storage box, would go bring a car load home, sort through it and donated 90% of the 'stuff', finally last month got rid of the storage box and have the last of my 'stuff' to sort through,,, feels good.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:53 AM

Very true! Love it. Re: George Carlin quote.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by greenini
We did really well. At one time in '92, we lived in 2400 sq ft, just the 2 of us. Moved to 945 sq ft and managed to keep the clutter monster under control for a pretty long time. But now, it's over whelmed me. Part of it is the fabric that I already own and keep trying to tame, some of it is the books I love and keep trying to sell or give away, some of it is the art work we inherited on top of what we already own and just don't have the wall space to display anymore. How do you find out if it's valuable, short of going to Antiques Road Show :D . And they've already been thru Atlanta.
Me too....I have a lot of books and fabric on top of all the other "stuff". I've been decluttering some, but I need to do it seriously!
I've almost quit going to yard sales and thrift stores, though I must say I have gotten good at leaving empty handed!! :lol:
Old 05-08-2011, 11:32 AM

Just read that 70 % of stuff American buy is really just stuff and not needed! Makes you think about purchases, really. I mean food, shelter, clothing, how much do we really NEED.