Stuff - as in possessions

Old 05-08-2011, 02:54 PM

("My folks lived way below their means and still had tons of stuff"...JCQUILTS)

We folks get our "stuff" for Birthdays, Mother's day, Father's day, Christmas, etc. from our Kids! :-)
Old 05-08-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I'm trying really hard to minimize. I'm just so sick of "stuff"
A funny quote from George Carlin:

"Home is where you keep your stuff while you go out and buy other stuff".

Love it!
Me too! And I love George Carlin's quote and his monologue on 'stuff'....just too funny.

Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 05-08-2011, 03:19 PM
gus

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I was talking to my sister about going to garage sales -

neither of us need any more "stuff" - our Mom had SOOOOOOO much stuff - but the hunt is soooo much fun!
Ditto! I just came home from 100 mile garage sale with my 2 sisters
Old 05-08-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I'm trying really hard to minimize. I'm just so sick of "stuff"
A funny quote from George Carlin:

"Home is where you keep your stuff while you go out and buy other stuff".

Love it!
Me too, and trying to get myself together and have a garage sale and get rid of it and if I don't see it the rest will go to goodwill or to someone who will come pick it all up!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
If you have ever had to clear out someone else's "stuff" after they have passed, it gives you a whole new perspective on what is and is not important to keep.

Now when I have any doubts about an item, I picture my sister looking at it and rolling her eyes (she's good at that) as she cleans up my house after I am gone.
That is my absolute greatest fear is to leave a mess to my family when I'm gone. Many years ago, could have been fifteen or twenty we bought an eight by ten shed that my brother put together for us. I took two weeks off of work and put all the time into getting organized and making the best use of the shed. When I was done and everything was clutter free and in it's place there were two wonderful things that happened. One, I could suddenly walk on air, I felt as if I was floating, their was no clutter to weigh me down. Life was so sweet for a couple of months while I was able to keep the house tidy. The second thing that happened was that if the Good Lord took me I was ready. I could die in peace knowing that no one would have to clean up after me.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:09 PM

For about 7 years one of my aunts gave me sets of fake nails for by birthday and Christmas. I have never been one to wear nails. In fact, I couldn't even think of a single person I could "re-gift" them to.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:38 PM

One of the sad realizations I have come to is that my children do not value or want all the stuff we have inherited from parents. I am going to start gathering it all up so I can take pictures and let them choose waht they do want. The rest I will put on Craigslist or take to Goodwill. It's hard, but we also had to clean out my hubby's mom's apartment, and I don't want to put my kids thru that. We still have a bunch of the stuff we brought home 2 years ago still in the boxes. Haven't had the energy to go thru it yet.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

I'm chiming in again. My 3 sons have all told us what they care about and what they don't want. I'm glad I asked them b/c I was "assuming" they'd want more. All 3 are minimalistic but sentimental and want family treasures. It's making my de-stashing a lot easier.
One day my husband and I looked around our family room and honestly there were only a few things we really wanted in that room.
It's amazing when you look around. We both loved collecting stuff, mostly antiques and collectibles. But enough is enough.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
I have lots of craft stuff, and would love to get rid of it, but keep thinking that my baby GD might enjoy using it when she's older. I'd hate to have to repurchase....seems rather wasteful. I also keep thinking, well maybe I'll get time someday to make cards again, or scrpbook again, but I really just want to quilt. What would you do? Suggestions?
Same here, have lots of craft stuff I want to keep incase I ever manage to get to it....but finally realized I have to pick one or two crafts and get rid of the other stuff as it is taking over all our living space!! So...I took some to the local senior center and took another load (card making supplies) to the childrens ministry at church (I called first to make sure thaey wanted it). I decided to keep all sewing/material/quilting stuff and crocheting. It actually feels good knowing the senior center ladies are happy and will make good use of the things I gave them and so will the little kids at church.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
One of the sad realizations I have come to is that my children do not value or want all the stuff we have inherited from parents. I am going to start gathering it all up so I can take pictures and let them choose waht they do want. The rest I will put on Craigslist or take to Goodwill. It's hard, but we also had to clean out my hubby's mom's apartment, and I don't want to put my kids thru that. We still have a bunch of the stuff we brought home 2 years ago still in the boxes. Haven't had the energy to go thru it yet.
I hear ya on this. My kids are pretty much in the same boat. I've been to (drop off) at goodwill lately myself and have my mothers stuff I'm dealing with. I just can't keep it all. Have to part with stuff and let it go. It's a slow process but I do feel better when I make some headway.