Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Suggestions needed for front load washer >

Suggestions needed for front load washer

Suggestions needed for front load washer

Old 08-28-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
front loaders are a royal pain. why don't they fix them instead of telling everyone to leave the door open to dry it out? I hope someone can help you.
I've had my Whirlpool front loader almost 4 years and love it. I've never "cleaned" it. I just don't close the door all the way. You can't even tell that the door is not really closed. A closed door means it gets stinky inside. That happens to dishwashers, too. I leave that door almost closed also, just not locked. I also leave my dryer door almost closed, just not locked. An unplugged refrigerator does the same thing.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:07 AM

I have a Frigidaire front loader--this model does not have the pause so that I could open it and take out or put in another item. I find it does not wring clothes out as well as the top loaders I've had and it has to be watched as it will stop moving forward if the load gets a little unbalanced. I do run a cleaning rag around under the rubber seal to clean out gunk and help to dry it out after a wash. The gas dryer of the same make never dries clothes on the first cycle. I usually have to run it again and dry most things on the "hotter" white clothes cycle. I do put a bath towel in it now to help get things to dry faster. If I had the room I would sure like to go back to the top loader and and electric dyer.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Try something different (undies) and see if you have the same problem.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:35 PM

I have no suggestions for you since after finding out that I had to buy special cleaner tabs for the machine, I went out and bought a used older Kenmore set, that is still working as well as when I bought it 8 years ago. I figure if I have to buy special cleaners for the machine, how clean are the clothes really? My ugly old set stands in the laundry room waiting for me to use them, and never need special stuff to keep them clean. I do have a SIL who bought a set, and when they moved in, so did the mildew smell in her home. She uses the cleaner tabs, and called the shop for help, to be told that is normal for front loaders! I have to take Sudafed just to go visit her.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:20 AM

I have a Bosch front loader, had the same problem even with loads that were not delicate, His recommendation was to reduce the spin cycle at the onset. Not enough weight/volume to require the high spin.
He also suggested using straight bleach in the detergent receptacle (about 1 cup) add bleach to the softner and bleach receptacles to the fill line. Use heavy duty setting, hot water, bleach added setting, extra rinse setting. I do leave my door full open. I do not have a odor problem. He also recommended reducing the detergent to tablespoons-ignore the lines on the cap, (unless of course I was laundering a mechanics clothes) they are of course promoting usage of their product. The over usage of detergent can be the cursor to many problems with the HE type of machine. I do not have problems with sticky clothes, mold or odor. If I am throwing in a light load I will add maybe clean rag towels to give some bulk to avoid spin issues too. The HE type machines are tempermental(sp), but I do like that they are better for the environment. And cheaper to use- less water, less detergent and less energy. And too boot my machines prior were sooo bad, I can't help but love what I have.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:19 AM

I so appreciate all the suggestions, tips, and comments. On a regular load I have noticed the clothes are nearly dry, I will explore the shorter cycle thanks to all.......calla/Sue