Target Data Breach

Old 12-20-2013, 07:18 AM

Do you purchase the id fraud protection? Our bank would charge around $15 a month for that.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I rarely have any luck finding what I'm looking for at Target! Just went there on Wednesday and asked a stock person for help. They said aisle 12. I asked where at in aisle 12, we were in aisle 12. Then she said some where down that way. I looked at her and said "you have no clue where it's at do you?" I walked away and out the door but not before I found a manager and complained. Mgr. was not happy! When I asked him if they had what I wanted he said not many child's sewing machines came in and if there were any in the store it would be in layaway. I left.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

I found out that thru American Express, you can set up a temporary credit card if you are not familiar with whom your want to purchase from. You then fund the credit card with the price of the item you want to purchase. Then that number will not be able to be used again unless you place any more money in it. They seem to be in front of the fraud situation. I am really lucky because the credit card is free for life because of stock broker I use.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:06 PM

the way I see it, if your debit card is hacked and they empty your account, that is YOUR problem and you need to get the bank to help you. If your credit card is hacked, it is the credit card company's problem. Just deny the charges and let them go after the crooks. Your money is safe.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:21 PM

The debit card is dependent on your bank. I got my money back fast with my bank and debit card fraud, but they even watch your cards pretty well now and are also on top of it, at least my bank is, I had about 3 new cards issued to me this year then stopped using my card in gas station pumps and haven't had a problem since
Old 12-21-2013, 01:48 PM

There is no way I'd trust a debit card. I think of it this way. Say I have $5000 in my account. I pay $3000 worth of bills. Someone steals my number and spends $3000. Bill payments might then bounce, and then you're in bad with that company. Not a chance I would take, personally.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:56 AM

I rarely ever shop Target. But guess what? I was killing time before a hair appointment and went into Target. I made a $3 purchase on my debit card and I just got a notice from my bank that it was during the data breach. Grrrrrrr! My daily limit for purchases is greatly reduced and a new card is on its way to me. I would bet I haven't purchased anything at Target for more than a year before that.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:42 AM

I got a notice from Chase. They said to just keep an eye on my transactions and they will do the same.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I honestly don't remember if I went to Target between those dates! I don't go that often.
We don't either, but we did go once during the period. Luckily, we paid cash.

Serita
Old 12-22-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
The debit card is dependent on your bank. I got my money back fast with my bank and debit card fraud, but they even watch your cards pretty well now and are also on top of it, at least my bank is, I had about 3 new cards issued to me this year then stopped using my card in gas station pumps and haven't had a problem since
We have stopped using cards at gas stations too. I kept seeing where the info was being captured from the pumps. It is a nuisance sometimes but it is one less thing to think about when stuff like this hits the fan.

Serita