Target Data Breach

Old 12-19-2013, 05:53 PM

Default Target Data Breach

Wow, woke up this morning to have my husband tell me that it is all over the news about Target's data breach and how credit/card info has been compromised. From what I understand, the period involved is November 27 through December 15 (or December 6 depending on which news source.) We did purchase something from Target but luckily paid cash.

We're almost now to the point of always trying to use cash (except for online purchases, which are kind of few these days.)

Serita
Old 12-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Power Poster

I saw the news report and they are investigating if there was insider involvement.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:55 PM

Our credit card company issued new cards . We had purchased a camera on Nov. 28. Just in time together caught. It looks like our account is ok, but it was nice to have the company look after us.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:19 AM

I bought something there using my credit card on december 1st. I've been keeping a close eye on my account. I'm no stranger to cc fraud. It's happened to me more times than I care to remember. It's a giant pain in the butt.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:03 AM

I honestly don't remember if I went to Target between those dates! I don't go that often.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:59 AM

I hope they catch whoever did this and make an example of them. Fraud of any kind affects all of us with higher prices.

That said, I have no qualms using my credit card anyplace. And yes, I have a Target card and shopped there during the affected dates. Most card companies these days are on top of fraud. I've had them call me to question a purchase and several times have had them send replacement cards due to a security breach (even though my card didn't appear to be affected).

My first brush with cc card theft happened with Discover. My bill had a slew of fraudulent purchases. They asked if I had any idea how my info had been stolen, took all the false charges off my bill with no hassle, and issued a new card.

A debit card is another matter entirely. I would NEVER use a debit card, because if that info is stolen the thief is able to empty money directly from your bank account. And I think that getting that squared away could be extremely difficult.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I don't shop at Target much but pay cash when I do. My Discover account was hacked after giving my number to an online shop. I actually didn't buy anything and asked for a credit. I got the credit and had someone use my Acct. # and a bunch of trouble. I think it is all okay now. I had my credit froze for ninety days. I got my credit reports and all is perfect.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I went to Target one time last year and it was one day during the breach! Ugh. My bank has already sent out notices that they are on top of it. No pins were stolen just credit card info. The real trouble will come months from now after the info is sold on the black market and then re sold. It's not to run up your credit card the reason the info is sold. New accounts can be opened using the credit card info and bank loans obtained. Everyone needs ID fraud protection on all credit accounts. What I don't understand is no one ever gets prosecuted even if caught. I haven't found one report of any credit card ID theft ring being sent to prison just that they were shut down.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Such a bummer, I shop there alot.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I bought something there using my credit card on december 1st. I've been keeping a close eye on my account. I'm no stranger to cc fraud. It's happened to me more times than I care to remember. It's a giant pain in the butt.
Yes, it has happened to us also. It makes us much more aware of this kind of stuff. I read somewhere that they recirculate this card info seven years later. Not sure where I read it, but wow!

Serita

Last edited by slbram17; 12-20-2013 at 07:19 AM.