Tax Refund!

Old 01-27-2012, 07:39 PM

I love my Sleep Number and my hubby wont sleep in it. I know they now make a memory foam Sleep number too from the ads on TV.

Dont know anything about frigs, mine is from 80's.

As far as the refund being a loan, there is major truth in that. Refunds are not really good things. Not that I am not happy that you can now buy the things you need. This year I happened to get an unexpected tax credit at the end of the year so I will be getting a big chunk but as a rule, I try hard not to give them more than necessary and not to owe more than a tad if possible.

It always makes me chuckle. I have spent decades trying to explain this to one of my closest friends. She is appalled that I dont get money back.....I usually smile knowing that I have had in my account all along.

Anyway, good luck and your hubby should try all of the beds. BTW be careful when reading their "trial" policy, sometimes they hide fees in there.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:21 PM

This is an interesting thread. Just this last week my son and I looked at fridges. Just for fun. It is a daunting task. The one I have is a whirpool. Boy do I love it. This has been a really great appliance. Yes I would buy another for sure. We looked at a samsung. Only because the price was crazy good. Mixed reviews on line though.

Beds, I have slept in a waterdbed for what seems like forever. But when I bought my new home, I gave it up and went to a pillowtop style. It's ok, I sleep fine, kinda miss the old bed though. Oh, I do have a spinal cord injury. So my back and neck is one touchy subject.

As far as the refund thing is concerned. I don't want a refund. I would much rather have it in my account. So, this year I will be reassessing my deductions. I am getting to much back. Now for a go figure moment. At my job they have again requested we fill out new w4 forms. Really every year? Well I need my W2 so that I can go to my accountant and refgure my deductions so that I break pretty much even. I still hadn't gotten it. I was handed my paycheck and then I was asked where is your W4? I said It hasn't been refigured as yet. I need my W2 so that we can have the accurate numbers to work with. My paycheck was ripped out of my hand and I was told, you will get your paycheck when I get your W4. Now there is a little food for thought huh?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I just want to say, if you are getting enough money refunded to buy a fridge or bed, remember you have basically LOANED this money to Uncle Sam at ZERO percent interest for the last year.
Unless you think of this as a forced savings plan, I hope you will plan to get LESS of a refund next year and keep more of YOUR money in YOUR pocket.

I always hear people saying "Woohoo, I got a big refund" like it is free money from the gov't. It is not, it is YOUR money!!
I agree 100%. However, for some, it is like a savings account too. They plan their purchases and trips after tax refund hits the mailbox. They would have spent it during the year, perhaps on going out to eat more or spending for all the WANTS at the local retailers after payday . Getting the refund, they have the down payment on a vehicle, toward a house or vacation, or pay some big bills that accrued during the year. In a sense, it works both ways. We don't do it, but for some you can never convince them to do otherwise.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:36 AM

We haven't even gotten our Federal or State forms yet. Got the W-2 but I can't fill out the forms. They say after February 1. I usually have them in and back by the first of February........back to the subject at hand. We have had both freezer on the top and bottom. On the top - you don't use a freezer as often as you do the refrigerator - My knees don't like bending down to get into the veggie crisper. I would much rather have the freezer on the bottom and be able to stand to get my lettuce!!!!!!! Right now we have the top freezer (good deal on it - rue the day we got it)!!!!!! I am not a connoisseur of mattresses. It keeps me from falling through the slats!!!!! That's all I know and when you first get them they are hard. Love the one we have now! Good luck on either purchase. Edie
Old 01-28-2012, 06:21 AM

I like the old freezer on the top. My hubby and I are alone now, and I like to shop in bulk.... so I'm in the freezer a lot and find I like it at eye level. We bought a temperpedic (knock off.... still great quality though) for near $1,000. My hubby also has had back surgery and titanium in his back. We had a tubed water bed.... love our temperpedic type. Good support, not hot, very light to move!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:30 AM

Beds: this is such a personal preference I say go try them out. As far as freezers go , my brother has a side by side and I absolutely despise it. No room. And it makes the fridge smaller too. If I had to buy my own I think I would go for one that is a full fridge with a separate freezer but I know that is not logical for most. A friend I house sat for had a bottom freezer and it was ok but I did like a top one better. Seems I could cram more stuff in it. But again that is just my opinon.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by roseville rose View Post
Love my fridge with the bottom freezer. I had a side by side and wanted more room in the fridge which I use the most. The bottom freezer is wonderful! It even has a separate second ice maker in the freezer which you can turn off or on.
I have a french door fridge with the freezer on the bottom it also has a sliding drawer in the freezer holds heaps of stuff. I just love it
Old 01-28-2012, 06:37 AM

I got a memory foam bed last year and it just gets more comfortable as time goes on. They thought I wouldn't like it because I'm so light but it doesn't necessarily stay that firm.

I don't think any fridge has enough space. But it hurts my back to bend over a bottom freezer. On the other hand, you bend over to get to the bottom of a side by side too...Good luck with that one.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:11 AM

Over the years I have had a top freezer, bottom freezer, and now have a side by side which was already in the house. I absolutely despise the side by side. No room and the refrig is also too small. Fortunately I also have a full size freezer. If I had to make a decision today, I would definitely go for the bottom freezer, more room and easier to find things. When you get everything crammed into the top freezer it is difficult to find and retrieve things. Just my opinion. Barb
Old 01-28-2012, 08:10 AM

:Love my bottom freezeer. I wouldn't ever consider anything else.