Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ted Storm thumb thimble problem >

Ted Storm thumb thimble problem

Ted Storm thumb thimble problem

Old 06-10-2013, 06:05 AM

Default Ted Storm thumb thimble problem

I want to buy a Ted Storm t/t and found a site, I think in the Netherlands, have been in contact with someone from that site, I think. Anyway, when I asked if I could purchase one but paying with a personal check....telling person I would gladly wait til that check cleared their bank before they shipped product I was informed NO-to costly.......will only accept PayPal. I do not have a PayPal account and truthfully don't think I want one....I do not do much buying on net and when I do my personal cc is accepted......now, a shadow of doubt is creeping into my brain....is this outfit legit? how could a personal check be to costly for them? Maybe someone here can explain this to me and cause me to rethink this whole situation. There seems to be no other source of this particular t/t. Thanks
Old 06-10-2013, 06:33 AM

The bank fees for them to cash your check in the Netherlands will probably be for more than the cost of the product you are buying.

I think Paypal has an option now to do a one-time payment with your credit card versus setting up an account.

Cheers, K
Old 06-10-2013, 07:33 AM

The nice thing about setting up a PP account is that you can link it to your cc rather than a bank account. Since there is no minimum useage requirement, you can set up the account and use it as frequently or infrequently as you wish. I find it is convenient to have a PP account, as I no longer have to drag the cc out every time I make a purchase.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:48 AM

I have a secondary checking account that I keep open with only $5 in it. When I want to purchase something, I transfer only that amount of money into that account. It's linked to my PayPal account, so I can either pay via PayPal or debit with little risk.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:50 AM

I too prefer Paypal. The fewer times I give out my cc number the better.

Yes it will cost them more than the product to deal with a check.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

does their site offer paying by Pay Pal? if so, you don't need a personal Pay Pal account. you click pay by Pay Pal and then input your credit card info. good luck.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:50 AM

PayPal is a great protection for the both the seller and buyer.

As a seller they don't have to be afraid that a check would bounce (I know you wouldn't both others might), they don't have to pay the fee to cash an international check, and they wouldn't have to pay the fee if the check did bounce.

As a buyer, you know that your personal information is protected (the seller just gets a message "Mrs Jones paid you $25", not details Mrs Jones used Visa account number 4...). Also, if the sale doesn't go as planned (such as the product not showing up) you get your money back.

You can read all about it at the PayPal site. It really is a win, win situation.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:28 AM

I have had a PayPal account for years, buying and selling on eBay and for other uses. A very convenient method of managing money on the internet. Never an issue. Have transferred money to daughter and didn't have to leave my recliner. I find it safe and useful and have periods when I don't use it for months but no charge is issued unlike a bank has monthly fees.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:43 AM

I think it's a very normal thing.
Here in the netherlands we even don't have checks anymore.
And also it's not so common to have a creditcard, more and more people are getting them but there's a strong controle over them and we can't get them as easy as in the USA for instance.
I notice that in america some people have 10 or 12 creditcards, here they look at how much money you earn to decide wether you get a creditcard or not....
For us it's not possible to buy something in america and pay with our daily bankingcard, so if we don't have a creditcard we have to use paypal.
That's why paypal is getting much more used here.
So don't worry about having to pay with paypal, it's common here.Hopefully you understand what I want to tell you in my broken english........
Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 PM

PayPal is by far the safest way to purchase anything from anyone.